Discussions

EJB design: Java wrappers on CORBA client calls and session facade!!

1. Java wrappers on CORBA client calls and session facade!! (3 messages)

Hi,
    Need some suggestions please.

I have some nicely developed Java wrappers that make CORBA client calls. I want to encapsulate the CORBA calls in a Session Bean.

Is it a good idea to develop a Session facade that would encapsulate the CORBA calls, exposing to its caller an interface similar to the existing Java wrappers? Further, should I encapsulate the actual CORBA calls in a Service Locator?

All suggestions most welcome, but fast, please!!!!

Regards,
    Venkat

Threaded Messages (3)

2. Depends[ Go to top ]

It depends on what the calls do.

Do they represent entities? Does it represent an EIS system which you are making data or operation centric calls? Do you expect contention between these resources, are you going to cluster your application server? A service locator would be a sensible approach but do you need to manage the usage of these calls? I take it they're synchronous calls? What happens when you need to shutdown connections to ORB(s)?

I think you need to ask some more questions about your external system. If you have the benefit of working in a J2EE 1.4 environment then I'd use the new JCA.

Max
  3. Manage the usage of these calls?[ Go to top ]

Hi Max,

Thanks for that response.
    Please find answers to your questions, THOUGH I DO REQUEST SOME CLARIFICATIONS FROM YOU (PLEASE SEE ENTRY IN CAPS BELOW):

Do they represent entities?
    **Partly, yes.

Does it represent an EIS system which you are making data or operation centric
    calls?
    **No, not an EIS system. Just a home grown application.

Do you expect contention between these resources, are you going to cluster your application server?
    **No, for both.

A service locator would be a sensible approach but do you need to manage the usage of these calls? I take it they're synchronous calls? What happens when you need to shutdown connections to ORB(s)?
    **CAN YOU PLEASE ELABORATE ON THIS? THEY ARE SYNCHRONOUS CALLS, BUT WHAT EXACTLY DOES 'MANAGING THE CALLS' MEAN?

I think you need to ask some more questions about your external system. If you have the benefit of working in a J2EE 1.4 environment then I'd use the new JCA.
    **I do not have the option of going for JCA.
  4. Managing calls[ Go to top ]

With regards to the question regarding an EIS system, what I really meant was are you retrieving mostly data or mostly just invoking an operation on a remote system?

By managing the calls in an asynchronous environment, I mean an endpoint which the response to an async call can be sent to and then ensure that response is returned back to the appropriate caller. In a synchronous environment you may have to potentially manage contention, especially as you're calling out to external resources, if thats not a worry (and it won't ever be a worry) then managing your calls doesn't really come into it.

Max