Discussions

News: ObjectWeb releases Enhydra Enterprise 6.0

1. ObjectWeb releases Enhydra Enterprise 6.0 (3 messages)

The enhydra team announced the availability of the Enhydra Enterprise 6.0 release:

Enhydra Enterprise 6.0 can be downloaded from:
    http://forge.objectweb.org/project/showfiles.php?group_id=21

Enhydra 6.0 differs a lot from the previous Enhydra versions. It is an application server which consist of application framework (collection of Java classes, which provide the runtime infrastructure for Enhydra applications –Enhydra Application Framework), EnhydraIDE (Eclipse development environment ), Enhydra Conductor (web server plugins to provide loadbalancing, clustering...), Enhydra EnTray, EnhydraDemos (Enhydra Demo applications – application sources and build process for Enhydra 5.1 and 6.0) and Enhydra tools used for Enhydra applications development.

Servlet container is not a part of Enhydra Application Framework any more, but it is needed for running Enhydra applications. Any servlet container that supports servlet 2.3 specification can be used for running Enhydra applications. Enhydra Enterprise is based on JOnAS Tomcat and JOnAS Jetty two separate installations.

Enhydra Application Framework (EAF) and Enhydra demo applications (EnhydraDemos) are separate projects and they are included in Enhydra Enterprise as a binary jars

See: http://www.objectweb.org/phorum/read.php?admview=1&f=29&i=10129&t=10129

(announcement of Enhydra 6.0 in Nov 2003: http://www.objectweb.org/phorum/read.php?f=25&i=47&t=47)

Threaded Messages (3)

2. Cool! Congrats and many thanks to Enhydra Team! OpenUSS and EJOSA will surely migrate to Enhydra Enterprise very soon!

Cheers,
    Lofi.
    OpenUSS and EJOSA.
  3. I can't get the real benifits of Enhydra!
    What does it mean to have AS that contains its own
    connection Pooling, object-to-relational mapping tool , presentation management, session management, clustering, , IDE integration, an MVC presentation framework , a relational ETL tool !
    It seems to be a RAD tool for non-profesionals.
  4. Benefits...[ Go to top ]

<quote>
    I can't get the real benifits of Enhydra!
    What does it mean to have AS that contains its own
    connection Pooling, object-to-relational mapping tool , presentation management, session management, clustering, , IDE integration, an MVC presentation framework , a relational ETL tool !
    It seems to be a RAD tool for non-profesionals.
    </quote>

Ahm... "RAD tool for non-profesionals" ;-) I would prefer "an integrated, simple and highly abstracted RAD tool for complex tasks". For me it is a good choice to abstract from J2EE and go into a higher level of abstraction. And this is where Enhydra will go, IMHO.

I don't really care whether it is J2EE with Servlets, XMLC, JSP, EJBs, POJOs, JDOs, MDBs, Hibernate, DODS or what so ever... I just want to model my HTML pages, my workflow objects (system interfaces), my business objects (business interfaces). That's it. J2EE with clustering (JOnAS, Tomcat, ...), object-to-relational mapping tool (DODS, Hibernate, JDO), etc. etc. is "just" my infrastructure, which must work well but I "as application developer" really don't care.

IBM Rational Rapid Developer is a good example of this. I hope to see Enhydra to reach this level soon. It's time to go higher.

My 0.2 cents,
    Lofi.