Discussions

News: Java Community Process Election Results

1. Java Community Process Election Results (9 messages)

The Java Community Process (sm) (JCP sm) program announced today the final results of its fifth annual Executive Committee (EC) member Elections.

The final phase of the 2004 JCP EC member Elections completed on November 15 and the winners in the two categories are:

- Ratified Seats: Apache, Borland, and Nortel Networks, for the SE/EE EC; NTT DoCoMo, Research in Motion (RIM) and Samsung, for the ME EC.
    - Elected Seats: Google, JBoss and Intel to the SE/EE EC, and Intel and Orange France to the ME EC.

This year the following members put up their candidature for self-nominated seats: for the SE/EE EC, 10 members came forward, Awais Bajwa, Google, John Harby, Intel, JBoss, JetBrains, Novell, Burc Oral, SeeBeyond Technology, Hani Suleiman; for the ME EC seven candidates including Aplix, Cox Communications, Intel, Gino Micacchi, Orange France, Enrique Ortiz, Telecom Italia. EC members guide the evolution of the Java technologies and their specific responsibilities include voting on all technologies/Java Specification Requests (JSRs) developed through the JCP program; select JSRs for development; approve draft Specifications for Public Review; approve Final Specifications; review TCK appeals; approve Maintenance revisions and possibly defer some features to a new JSR; approve transfer of maintenance duties between members and provide overall guidance to the
    Program Management Office (PMO).

View the details: http://jcpelection2004.org

Threaded Messages (9)

2. Sorry Hani

At least you can keep firing them all...

Anyway, it is much more fun.
  3. And he beat out JetBrains.

I'd love to see Hani in there, stirring things up a little ...

We need to do some "get out the vote" next time around; I didn't even realize he was running for a seat! Apparently only 221 out of 775 eligible voters even voted.

Who else should we get to run?
  4. Java Community Process Election Results[ Go to top ]

I hope that Intel's addition to the MicroEdition EC will add some more focus on developing the J2ME/CDC configuration. All the other EC members are too cLdc-focused (read: Midlets, smartphones). Yeah, I know the market for cLdc is just huge, that's why. I hope this helps to bolster Java development for XScale CPU's/PocketPCs.

(I'm not sure if Intel's been elected previously?)
  5. Sour grapes?[ Go to top ]

This really isn't sour grapes (I never expected to win), but yet again it's clear that people are just too dumb to be allowed to vote!

For one thing, what has google done for Java that makes it deserve a seat on the EC? Has anyone seen any java products from google? Any code? All we know is that they've hired a couple of java guy. Why is that so worthy of applause?

JBoss on the other hand I can understand. As much as I might despise their products and personalities, they do contribute to Java in many different ways, and their effect is tangible and prominent.

Intel? Again, what java stuff? How much have they contributed to Java lately?

It really just looks like most people voted based on brand recognition more than anything else.

Anyway, I'm stunned and surprised I got almost 10%, so thanks to everyone who voted for me!
  6. Who the heck is Hani?[ Go to top ]

I have seen his name around and his blog makes for interesting reading but who is he?

-Pete
  7. Who the heck is Hani?[ Go to top ]

Hani is "The Bile Boy".. Just as you have a Film Critic, Hani is our Java Critic. I'm sure by now he has become some sort of a Java ICON ;)
  8. Who the heck is Hani?[ Go to top ]

I have seen his name around and his blog makes for interesting reading but who is he?-Pete

He's your worst nightmare :-)). You can join Jakarta commons team, for example, and release commons-4.x :-))
  9. Who the heck is Hani?[ Go to top ]

I have seen his name around and his blog makes for interesting reading but who is he?-Pete
    He's your worst nightmare :-)). You can join Jakarta commons team, for example, and release commons-4.x :-))
    Hey I'm working on that in my secret laboratory on the north pole!
    Ow, I shouldn't have said that.... ;-)
  10. Sour grapes?[ Go to top ]

That's hilarious 'cause I voted for both you and Google ;-). I don't treat my votes as "applause", I vote based on who I'd like to have a voice in the shaping of the platforms. My votes also have nothing to do with "brand recognition", whether it's Google or Bile. In this particular case, the set of nominees just struck me as mostly the same old same old. I wanted a little more diversity and I didn't get it :-(.