Discussions

EJB design: Quartz Timer Service

1. Quartz Timer Service (3 messages)

Hello James

I need a some clarification from you. Our application has lot of complexity with time based events such as triggering some actions on 5th day of every week,every year and so on. I discovered that Quartz Schedular will do the trick. But in one the article from the serverside has stated that "Quartz uses its own tread pool and these threads are not container based". But this statement has caused lot of confusion in our group to use this or not!!. Is there any way that these threads can be controller by J2EE server by itself??.
    BTW we are using weblogc 8.1 server.

If you have any ideas on this please reply to this question . Please mail your feedback to Satish dot Kakumani at ionidea dot com

Thanks and Regards

Satish

Threaded Messages (3)

2. Quartz Timer Service[ Go to top ]

To my understanding, Quartz is a stand-alone server that executes scheduled jobs. May be it could mommunicate via JMS with your J2EE app to send results back and receive new job updates...

Why do you need to run this scheduler WITHIN your app server container? Would it be more relaible to have it outside of it...? E.g. if you app server crashes or restarts, your scheduler service still running.
  3. Quartz Timer Service[ Go to top ]

Thanks for you reply. We have a requirement in such a way that Users of the application can specify their own periodicity information, i.e. users can specify when the job should run. There are so many ways each user can specify, that means one user can specify that he wants to run the job on Mon, Tue for 15 weeks, other user can come say he wants for every 2 days.

So when they specify this information we capture information from UI, we create the timer objects with that information. That is the reason we are running in the APP server.
  4. Quartz Timer Service[ Go to top ]

So when they specify this information we capture information from UI, we create the timer objects with that information. That is the reason we are running in the APP server.

I do not see this as a good reason to run under app server.
    You can easily do the same outside of your app. server by having either your own RMI server, or may be use Quartz APIs to schedule adHoc job.

I do not see why do you need to run these timers under the APP. server - it will overload it...