Servlet Context - root webapp "/"

Discussions

Web tier: servlets, JSP, Web frameworks: Servlet Context - root webapp "/"

1. Servlet Context - root webapp "/" (1 messages)

Hi All,

I am curious to know how many people deploy Java Servlet web-app using the "/" root context along with a HTTP listener.

For example, if the web application using OracleAS 9i/10g, it will use the Apache web server to handle the incoming request. Then, Apache will route the servlet request (i.e. OC4J mount point) to the J2EE container (OC4J).

If the web-app is deployed using the "/" context, it seems to me that all the request to Apache will be routed to OC4J.

Does it make any sense to even use Apache in the first place?

I believe the reasons to use Apache is handle the static contents and reduce the OC4J work load. All dynamic contents (i.e. JSP, Servlets, Velocity, etc.) and minor static contents should be processed by OC4j. This is not the case using the "/" context.

Any feedbacks will be greatly appreciated.

Threaded Messages (1)

2. Root webapp[ Go to top ]

Hi All,I am curious to know how many people deploy Java Servlet web-app using the "/" root context along with a HTTP listener.
    I built a CMS and a set of applications around it that works by catching all requests using a root context. For my application I use apache only as a listener and as a way to route hosts to multiple servlet engines. The CMS takes the input URL, decodes the CMS website from it and then generates all content from an Oracle or Postgresql database. This allows me to have multiple appserver machines that have no content data whatshowever on them: all content comes from the DB.