Discussions

General J2EE: Advice on j2ee application server!! (newbie here)

1. Hi,

I am a student & want to know why one cannot use Sun Application Server that comes along with J2EE1.4.sdk in developing j2ee components.

Why do we have WebLogic server, Websphere etc??

Please throw some light on me.

Thanks & Regards
    Srinivas Vemuri
  2. Sun's app server is a reference implementation for people involved with building j2ee servers. It meets the j2ee spec, but that is all. Weblogic, websphere etc meet the spec but go much further in terms of being scalable, distributable, reliable, supported etc. Sun did release an enterprise standard j2ee server, Sun One, but noone was very interested in it. WL and WS dominate the market.
  3. Sun's app server is a reference implementation for people involved with building j2ee servers. It meets the j2ee spec, but that is all. Weblogic, websphere etc meet the spec but go much further in terms of being scalable, distributable, reliable, supported etc. Sun did release an enterprise standard j2ee server, Sun One, but noone was very interested in it. WL and WS dominate the market.

Can we develop Web Services just using Java WSDP without having to install any other packages??
  4. Thanks for your previous reply.

It helps my understanding.