JBoss EJB 3.0 Preview 3 Is Out

Discussions

News: JBoss EJB 3.0 Preview 3 Is Out

1. JBoss EJB 3.0 Preview 3 Is Out (7 messages)

JBoss Inc. is pleased to announce the Preview 3 release of EJB 3.0. Included is an implementation of interceptors, callback listeners, clustering, and general updates to conform with the EDR2 of the new EJB 3.0 specification. There's still a lot of work to dot the 'I's and cross the 'T's and also some missing features like bulk update/delete and native queries, but we're getting there. Special thanks goes out to Kabir Khan and the Hibernate team without which this release would not have been possible.

For more information:
    Main page
    Tutorial
    Release Notes

Threaded Messages (7)

2. JBoss EJB 3.0 Preview 3 Is Out[ Go to top ]

This looks like a lot of fun. Can't wait to play with it. However, the non-standard packaging (e.g. SessionBean.ejb3) is starting to worry me. Do we expect that this will be part of the final release?
  3. JBoss EJB 3.0 Preview 3 Is Out[ Go to top ]

This looks like a lot of fun. Can't wait to play with it. However, the non-standard packaging (e.g. SessionBean.ejb3) is starting to worry me. Do we expect that this will be part of the final release?

The only reason for the .ejb3 is for the deployer. Because there is no deployment descriptor and no EJBC compiler, I have to iterate through all classes in the jar to see if they are annotated. I do this through Javassist (so the classes don't have to be loaded. The problem is that there are a number of plain .jar files in JBoss deployment. If I look in every .jar in deploy/ it slows down boot up time by like 20%.

So, in summary, if you want no DDs and you want fast bootup time, then .ejb3 is required.

Bill
  4. J2SE support?[ Go to top ]

When do you anticipate releasing a version that can be used in a J2SE application? That section of the draft specification seems to still be in flux.
  5. ejb3 is two parts[ Go to top ]

ejb3 is two parts: one about persistance,which is managed by the entity manager, this can be used the container as any other ORM tool
    the second part is the rest of the EJB spec which deal with something like seurity,remoting,transaction,EWS and so on, this part cannot used outside the container as they are actually wrappers around other specs implementation
    so
  6. J2SE support?[ Go to top ]

When do you anticipate releasing a version that can be used in a J2SE application? That section of the draft specification seems to still be in flux.

JBoss EJB3 is built on Hibernate 3.0, but the core HB3 distribution is not yet up-to-date with the lastest spec draft. When that happens, you should be able to use EJB3 persistence in J2SE.

http://www.hibernate.org/247.html

Bill
  7. entity manager classloading[ Go to top ]

Hi Bill / Gavin,

I have a question regarding deployment / classloading in respect to the entity manager. Consider the following components:

o a Master DataModel MM
    o a Shop DataModel SM
    o a web application for Master Data administration AWA
    o the shop web application SWA

o AWA depends on MM
    o SWA depends on SM and MM
    o SM depends on MM
    o no cyclic dependencies

There's one EntityManager instance per jvm only, right? The EntityManager is loading the classes from the context classloader of the calling component, right? And the calling components (AWA or SWA) are seeing the model classloaders as
    their parent classloaders, right?

Holger
  8. entity manager classloading[ Go to top ]

Hi Bill / Gavin,I have a question regarding deployment / classloading in respect to the entity manager. Consider the following components:o a Master DataModel MMo a Shop DataModel SMo a web application for Master Data administration AWAo the shop web application SWAo AWA depends on MMo SWA depends on SM and MMo SM depends on MMo no cyclic dependenciesThere's one EntityManager instance per jvm only, right? The EntityManager is loading the classes from the context classloader of the calling component, right? And the calling components (AWA or SWA) are seeing the model classloaders as their parent classloaders, right?Holger

EntityManager will end up having some kind of identity. Currently with EDR2 it is understood that there is one EntityManager per JAR.