Discussions

News: Mastering EJB 3rd Ed Published; Free Book PDF Available

1. The third edition of the best selling book, Mastering EJB, was just published and is available for free download off of TSS. The new edition includes more than 30 percent revised material and five new chapters covering security, integration, best practices, new EJB 2.1 features, as well as the latest open source Java solutions.

Download Mastering EJB, Third Edition.

Threaded Messages (45)

2. thx
  3. Hi, I am a new associator. I can't download the sourcecode of this book--Mastering Enterprise JavaBeans 3.0, can anybody help me?
    this is my email: jiangyrui at yahoo dot com dot cn

Thanks
     Jiang
  4. Source code...[ Go to top ]

I managed to download the source code.Does anybody want it? I can send through MSN or something like it.
  5. source code[ Go to top ]

Hello Daniel!

I could not down load the source , even that the book I managed to get.

Please send me the source code to yoav dot dothan at gmail dot com

Thank you!

Yoav
  6.  i need source code of this book please
    can you send to me to my  e mail address rather possible.

salahben_salah at yahho dot com
    thank's
  7. help[ Go to top ]

hello
    i need source code please
    if someone has all source code of MasteringEJB3rdEd book please send it to me.
    thanks
    this is my email address <<salahben_salah at yahoo dot com>>
  8. Thanks[ Go to top ]

Thanks! and where is the source code for 3rd edition.

- Jay
    JavaRSS.com
    Java News, Java Articles, Java Blogs, Java Groups and Java Forums, Just one bookmark.
  9. Thanks[ Go to top ]

Thanks! and where is the source code for 3rd edition.- Jay

It's coming in a few days.

Floyd
  10. help[ Go to top ]

hello Floyd Marinescu
     iam student now i m preparing an application based on EJB.
     i rode Mastering EJB 3rd book and i cant get source code
    i dont indrestand why
    please if you have the source code, send it to me as soon as you can do.
    thanks <<salahben_salah at yahoo dot com>> this is my email address
  11. Great book, thanks a lot!

BTW. Floyd, when will you update your J2EE design patterns book? I think in the mean time there are a lot of new patterns in that area :-)

Cheers,
    Lofi.
  12. new Design Patterns book?[ Go to top ]

Great book, thanks a lot!BTW. Floyd, when will you update your J2EE design patterns book? I think in the mean time there are a lot of new patterns in that area

Hi Lofi, with EJB 3 making obsolete most of the work-around patterns to EJB, and people finally waking up to the fact that you don't need EJB if you're not going to use distributed objects, I'm not sure what patterns I could include anymore, so I wasn't planning a new edition.

Floyd
  13. new Design Patterns book?[ Go to top ]

Great book, thanks a lot!BTW. Floyd, when will you update your J2EE design patterns book? I think in the mean time there are a lot of new patterns in that area
    Hi Lofi, with EJB 3 making obsolete most of the work-around patterns to EJB, and people finally waking up to the fact that you don't need EJB if you're not going to use distributed objects, I'm not sure what patterns I could include anymore, so I wasn't planning a new edition. Floyd

So finally it's been proved you only need design patterns to over come the design flaws!!! Hope gang of four never heard it:-)
  14. new Design Patterns book?[ Go to top ]

Hi Lofi, with EJB 3 making obsolete most of the work-around patterns to EJB, and people finally waking up to the fact that you don't need EJB if you're not going to use distributed objects, I'm not sure what patterns I could include anymore, so I wasn't planning a new edition. Floyd
    So finally it's been proved you only need design patterns to over come the design flaws!!! Hope gang of four never heard it:-)

Do you guys know what patterns actually are?

How can we have already patterns in a domain where nobody has an experince and which is a work in progress?

Patterns are about documenting proven solutions which have been pratically tested and are working well in multiple projects.

Michal
  15. new Design Patterns book?[ Go to top ]

That may have been true for many of the Core J2EE Patterns from Sun, or EJB patterns in general, but the GoF patterns worked around human limitations, not framework or specification limitations. Those patterns simply captured typical ways of applying good software design principles when building OO systems.

You know:
    - Encapsulate what varies
    - Use loose coupling and tight cohesion
    - Favor composition over inheritance
    - Code to interfaces (this means classes or Java interface types intended as an interface in the classic sense)

The patterns captured in various libraries simply put those principles, in applied form, into the hands of practitioners. So no, most patterns do not, in fact, work around design flaws. Most patterns help you avoid creating those flaws in the first place.

- Michael
  16. Design Patterns[ Go to top ]

True design patterns are not technology specific: not even language specific. The EJB patterns are really more "best practices" given a specific technology environment. As Floyd says, times have changed, and not all of them are necessarily relevant today.

Some of those that deserve "design pattern" status in my view include those that relate to distributed application development. There are a number of problems that must be addressed to do that that are essentially the same whatever technology (EJB or other) you use.
  17. new Design Patterns book?[ Go to top ]

Hi Floyd,

<floyd>
    Hi Lofi, with EJB 3 making obsolete most of the work-around patterns to EJB, and people finally waking up to the fact that you don't need EJB if you're not going to use distributed objects, I'm not sure what patterns I could include anymore, so I wasn't planning a new edition.
    </floyd>

Sure, some patterns are becoming obsolete. But still many developers need to do distributed objects :-) So, not all paterns are obsolete. Especially in conjunction with Web Services, you still need e.g. DTO pattern. You can read this current discussion at JavaLobby:

Can DXOs/DTOs play in a distributed environment?
    http://www.javalobby.org/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=17210&tstart=15

You see there that this problem is still not resolved (also not through POJO Entity :-)).

So, most of the patterns you have in your book are STILL up-to-date in distributed environment. Additionaly:

1. You have now EJB TimerBean:
    http://www.theserverside.com/patterns/thread.tss?thread_id=30093

2. EJB MDBs are expanded. Maybe any patterns here?

3. SOA, Web Service. Any good patterns in conjunction with EJB architecture for Web Services?

4. Model driven, metamodel integration (MDA). Why can this help you in developing EJB components...

IMO, a new *EJB* design pattern is needed. EJB EntityBean is ONLY one small part of it...

Cheers,
    Lofi.
  18. new Design Patterns book?[ Go to top ]

2. EJB MDBs are expanded. Maybe any patterns here?

The same idea used for EJB Command pattern and "Generic EJB Timer" pattern http://www.theserverside.com/patterns/thread.tss?thread_id=30093 can be used with MDBs as well. Thus, you can have only one MDB that could execute all Command objects asynchronously.

I wrote an article describing Command pattern usage in EJB enviroment, but it is on Serbian ;). I guess you could get ideas from code http://www.javasvet.net/resource.do?id=54 The main idea is that you can develop EJB applications using POJO Command objects. You can have only one SessionBean for executing Commands in EJB context (EJB Command Patern) and one MDB for asynchronous execution of commands. If you are using EJB 2.1 container, the SessionBean could also implement TimedObject interface and can schedule Command objects execution (as described in Generic EJB Timer pattern). If you are using Hibernate or something like that, you can easily unit test Command objects outside the container. This makes EJB development pretty painless since most time you are using just POJOs.

Dejan
  19. Excellent work!

"IS USING A POJO...", decryption on page 272 is exactly what the Java community needs.

EJB may, or may not work for your requirements; this book will elegantly describe EJB for you.

I hope other authors will read this book and learn how to really promote the use of technology based on their expertise - instead of trying to use FUD to get "their" point across.

I urge every enterprise development team to read this book for a clear (no noise) description of J2EE!

Can't wait for the EJB 3.0 version...
  20. "The viewer cannot decrypt this document" So something else was more important than portability. They encrypted the document (Maybe acrobat 6.0 writer did that. don't know) any way all PDF's I create with OpenOffice work perfectly fine with Acrobat 4.0
  21. French version[ Go to top ]

2nd Edition has a french version

Is there a plan to make a french version of this 3rd edition ?

José.
  22. French version[ Go to top ]

Is there a plan to make a french version of this 3rd edition?

Jose,

That's up to the publishers <shrug>.

Floyd
  23. just for your info
  24. failed to download in firefox, IE ok[ Go to top ]

+1 and IE 6sp1 could not download also, keep asking me to logon
  25. failed to download in firefox, IE ok[ Go to top ]

I used Firefox 1.0 in XP SP2, and I was able to download the book.
  26. IE 6.0 with sp2 able to download it[ Go to top ]

I think i need 2 months to complete this :)
  27. failed to download in firefox, IE ok[ Go to top ]

Maybe you have cookies turned off? We needd to know if you're logged in.
  28. Initally I was also frustrated with the download issue. In IE 6.0, I was getting an error message "File does not start with %PDF-". And in Firefox 1.0, The same login screen was coming over and over again. Even upgrading to XP SP2 did not help. Then I googled a little bit and figured out that, its a problem with Acrobat Reader's feature which integrates with IE. Just open up one instance of Acrobat Reader. Goto Edit->Preferences->Options (in Reader 5.0 and Internet in Reader 6.0). Uncheck Display PDF in Browser.Click OK and close the instance. Then when you try to login using IE, you will get a prompt to save the file to local disk. And then business as usual :-) However, I am yet to figure out the problem with Firefox 1.0.
    Let me know in case this approach does not work.
    Warm Regards,
    Raja
  29. Thanks for the solution..!!![ Go to top ]

Hi Mr. Raja
    Thanks for your solution as it helped me download this pdf without any issues.
    I was frustated trying hard to download this.

Thank you

Praveen
  30. hi Raja
    at least i came to an end with ur help..
    but with acrobat6.0 when opening this edit>preferences>internet---there i can see that Display PDF in Browser is already disabled....
    what can i do???
    Regards
    DEBU
  31. Hi Debu,
       I dont know the exact procedure you are following to download the PDF. But let me hazard a guess of the steps you are following.
    1. Type/Copy the address http://www.theserverside.com/books/wiley/masteringEJB/downloads/MasteringEJB3rdEd.pdf in IE 6.0.
    2. It will ask a prompt for user id and password. Enter the relevant id and password.
    3. After that, You should get a prompt for either opening the file in browser or save it to local disk. (Only when you follow the steps suggested by me in earlier thread, you will get this prompt. Even after following this thread, if you get this problem, my suggestion would be to uninstall the version of Acrobat Reader installed on your machine temporarily and then proceed with download :-) )
    4. Once you get the prompt as mentioned above, choose Save to Local Hard Disk option and you should be fine. NEVER choose the Open document in browser option.
     If you are still facing problem, send me a mail at raja_ranjan at yahoo dot com with details. I dont want to clutter this thread anymore. :-)

Warm Regards,
    Raja
  32. Hi,

For some reason, I still have trouble to download the book by using IE 6.0. The only thing that I get is a small "construction" icon on the right uppper corner, no error message at all. The processing bar shows "done". I have already set my IE to accept all "cookies". Are there anything else that I should be aware of?

Thanks,

Lan
  33. go to link
    http://www.theserverside.com/books/wiley/masteringEJB/index.tss

then right click on Download the free pdf click the save target

then specify respected localpath
  34. Thanks for the book Ed.
    Gabi.
  35. I was trying to Download 3rd Edition PDF book, but i was getting some errors. I was using PDF Version 6.0. How can i do the download.
    Thanks
    Sri
  36. Escalability[ Go to top ]

Does any one know an ejb project with 10.000 EJB Beans (25% sessions)?

How much hardware do you need for test? And for production?

Do you know how it behave with Websphere? And with JBoss?

[ ]´s
  37. RE: Escalability[ Go to top ]

Does any one know an ejb project with 10.000 EJB Beans (25% sessions)?How much hardware do you need for test? And for production?Do you know how it behave with Websphere? And with JBoss? [ ]´s
    I came from a project with 4000 session beans, contact me at azhanov at yahoo dot com if you want to discuss it offline. let's not hijack this tread.
    alex
  38. Iam able to download the 3rd edition pdf. Iam uanble to open the document using acrobat reader. Please help me any one.
  39. Thanks ![ Go to top ]

This is a great book, since the first edition, thanks a lot
  40. I'll have to say the pdf books available here are truly remarkable.

Floyd's 2nd edition of this book was instrumental to me in passing the SCBCD exam. Along with the Head First book and others.
  41. Download is not working please look into this
  42. Security via JAAS Bug[ Go to top ]

Unfortunately the feed-back email given in the book doesn't work, so I try to access a bug in the book here:

On page 362 there is class HelloClient which pretends
    to securely access an EJB.

Actually, it does not.

The security-context gotten by LoginContext.login() is
    never propagated to the server, so the called EJB has
    no information about who the caller is.

The right way to access an EJB under a security
    context is given on

http://www.theserverside.com/discussions/thread.tss?thread_id=33552

WSSubject.doAs(subject, new java.security.PrivilegedAction() {

With Weblogic it were

weblogic.security.Security.runAs(subject, sampleAction);
  43. Re: Security via JAAS Bug[ Go to top ]

The code is based on CSIv2 context propagation (as documented in the readme files that go along with the code). If you use the code in a distributed setting as explained, a security context is automatically propagated, even without the client calling doAs(). This will not happen in a local setting, but this behavior is documented, so I don't think you can call that a bug. Regards, Gerald.
  44. In Table 4.1 (Required methods for session bean classes),
    the headers of the last tow columns should be reversed, i.e the (stateless session bean) should be (statefull session bean) in column #3 and vice versa for coulmn #4
  45. I was reading the PDF version of Mastering EJB and came across the following Error.
    It is a small one in chapter 4 - "Introduction to Session Beans"

The error is in the table heading of Table 4.1: "Required Method for Session Bean classes" in page "89 (114 of 841)"
    The column heading for stateful and stateless session beans got interchanged. Actually the third column must be STATEFUL and the forth column (last column) must be STATELESS.

I am sure people might have already pointed this small error. But I can not find an error database for that.

As mentioned in the book i send this post as an email to 'books@middleware-company.com', but got a message "There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator."

So I am posting it here

However the book is a great one and I loved reading it.
    Thanks for the great work!

regards
    sv
  46. Five years ago?[ Go to top ]

Hey, this post is from five years ago and it appeared on TSS News Feed!!