Discussions

TSS feedback: tech talks as downloadable mp3's

1. tech talks as downloadable mp3's (11 messages)

I'd love to be able to listen to the tech talks during my daily commutes. Why not allow me to download them as discrete mp3 files (not streamable). Don't force me to listen to second-rate tech podcasts!

MV

Threaded Messages (11)

2. tech talks as downloadable mp3's[ Go to top ]

+1
  3. tech talks as downloadable mp3's[ Go to top ]

+1
    I use metered broadband access. If avail as mp3 I can schedule download during the unmetered hours of the night and listen to them next morn.

u have issues? mouth them and we shall propose solns..
  4. tech talks as downloadable mp3's[ Go to top ]

+ n + 1
  5. Hey guys, we've gotten this request fairly regularly over the years. We don't offer download because then we have no control over how these things get distributed. Someone could post the MP3's on another portal.

As an online site, it's our reason to exist for people to come to TSS to get the stuff they want. Streaming allows us to create a standard compelling UI for accessing the interviews, and also makes it so that people need to stay on TSS to get them.

We have thought of offering audio-only tech talks in cases where we couldn't get a video one, but if we've gone to the trouble and investment of recording a video tech talk, then why circumvent the whole process?

thoughts?

Floyd
  6. Fair enough. All I'm saying is, I've got an hour and half of dead time in my car each day where I'm listening to tunes or sports talk radio. Recently I've taken to burning tech discussions from IT conversations to help fill the void.

I find that i'm less selective about how I spend my car-time vs how i spend my pc-downtime after work. For instance, I'd never make a point of listening to an hour of Wil Wheaton's Gnomedex keynote at home, preferring to read straight text on, well, anything else. But on Tuesday in my car I did exactly that (actually, he's a funny dude).

While i've consumed a number of the server-side's interviews in the past, its a rare one that catches my eye enough for me to make a point of listening to it. For example, while I'm sure Michael Giroux is an interesting guy, I probably won't listen to him - the letters 'JCA' in his interview blurb to me seems duller than death. However, if the Giroux talk were delivered by other means it would probably be playing in my car on the way home this evening.

Of course, it is your content, and it is your right to distribute it however you please. Your choice of delivery methods *will*, however, limit the audience for said content.

Regards,
    MV
  7. I hear you mark. We are considering pod casting, and comments like yours help us in that direction.

Floyd
  8. Brand the MP3's[ Go to top ]

<Floyd>
    We don't offer download because then we have no control over how these things get distributed. Someone could post the MP3's on another portal.
    thoughts?
    </Floyd>

If you did go the MP3 route, I suppose you could brand the MP3's - that is, with an introductory soundbite such as 'This is a production of TheServerSide.COM, Your Enterprise Java Community. Visit us at www..', followed by some snappy server side theme music, followed again by 'This tech talk sponsored by [insert advertisor here]'. The download page to contain a warning against removing the serverside pre-amble from the MP3. Prefix even the downloaded file with 'serverside' to continue the brand.

So, if another portal does take to redistributing your content, eyeballs still may be driven to the server side.

Can't really say if that would give you the protection you're looking for. Just a thought.

Regards,
    MV
  9. .net has a leg up here[ Go to top ]

http://www.dotnetrocks.com

Sure would be nice if something similar was available here. Like the other gentlemen mentioned, I also burn two total hours in the car each day and would LOVE to be able to tap into the ServerSide for downloadable audio. I already visit the ServerSide very frequently and this would just increase my visitation!
  10. tech talks as downloadable mp3's[ Go to top ]

I am sure there is plenty of people over there who can easily record the stream and convert it into mp3 and distrubute it if they want. What I mean is this is not the way of protecting it if this is the thing that bothers you (I strongly understand and agree with you on protecting your content but not this way to my mind.). As it is mentioned you can even turn this into an add of tss.

regards...
  11. tech talks as downloadable mp3's[ Go to top ]

I'd love to be able to listen to the tech talks during my daily commutes. Why not allow me to download them as discrete mp3 files (not streamable). Don't force me to listen to second-rate tech podcasts!MV

Add my vote to having a downloadable mp3 file. I've been hunting for decent technical broadcasts, when I had an "ah ha" moment this morning and thought theserverside.com has those great tech talks that I usually read through instead of listenting to the video, but now I could listen to them. Unfortunately with only streaming it won't do me the slightest bit of good.
  12. tech talks as downloadable mp3's[ Go to top ]

Looks like I've been cornered. :)