Discussions

News: JORAM 4.2 Final Release is Available

1. JORAM 4.2 Final Release is Available (7 messages)

ObjectWeb has announced that JORAM 4.2 has been released. JORAM is a 100% pure Java implementation of JMS 1.1. The Joram 4.2 release features high availability, enhanced management facilities and improved performances.

JORAM also includes a configurable dead messages queue, J2ME client libraries, clustered topics and queues, a graphical administration console, and a distributed JNDI server.

Changes include:
    • Upgraded JMX management features
    • Upgraded JDK 1.5 support
    • Support for dynamic configuration of the JORAM platform
    • New operations to read/delete messages from subscriptions and queues
    • Network communications
    • Joram RA (JCA component)
    • Bug fixes
    JORAM is an open source software released under the LGPL license and can be downloaded here. The JMS 1.1 specification is available here.

Threaded Messages (7)

2. Experiences, users?[ Go to top ]

I've been watching JORAM for a while and love the level of documentation and the overall polish of the product.

I'm curious, though, who has been using it to build real systems? Does anyone reading TSS have any experience with it in a production environment?
  3. advantages over activemq?[ Go to top ]

Hi,

Has someone compared JORAM vs ActiveMQ?
    they both seem to be very powerful products.

regards
  4. advantages over activemq?[ Go to top ]

I started doing a comparison, but that effort has stalled. Other priorities have taken over for a little while.

We've gotten as far as getting ActiveMQ integrated with our app server in a test environment. Next step is doing the same with JORAM.

If you compare mailing lists, JORAM appears to be a much, much more stable product. If you compare features, ActiveMQ appears to be a lot more flexible in terms of what it can do, and how you can extend it.

-- Damien

P.S. My original post about comparing the two. I'll update it when done.
    http://www.cheblogs.com/roller/page/damien/20050312#evaluating_joram_and_activemq_jms
  5. Hermes supports JORAM[ Go to top ]

Just to let you know Hermes (http://www.hermesjms.com) works fine with JORAM and Nicolas Tahker from ObjectWeb has kindly put together a couple of demos:

http://wiki.objectweb.org/joram/Wiki.jsp?page=Hermes

Thanks to all the ObjectWeb guys for a great JMS implementation!

Colin.
  6. advantages over activemq?[ Go to top ]

If you compare mailing lists, JORAM appears to be a much, much more stable product. If you compare features, ActiveMQ appears to be a lot more flexible in terms of what it can do, and how you can extend it.

The Joram team consistently reports that users usually don't grasp all Joram's capabilities at once. Apart from SOAP/J2ME access features, apart from bridge features with other JMS buses, Joram has interesting clustering, load balancing and high availability capacities.

Just quoting Joram's web site:
    - A persistent, reliable and distributed JNDI server
    - A configurable dead message queue
    - Load balancing through clustered topics and queues
    - Monitoring methods
    - A bridge feature allowing to link JORAM to any JMS compliant messaging platform
    - Client libraries allowing J2ME applications to access the JORAM platform in a JMS 1.1 "way"
    - A graphical administration and monitoring tool
    - High Availability provides the active replication of Joram servers and underlying agent servers, as well as replicated JORAM clients. It transparently handles network handover and server failover. This version currently relies on the use of JGroups.
    - Dynamic Configuration, provides features to remotely add and remove Joram servers on the fly through the Administration API of JORAM. This great feature, combined with updated JMX implementation, initiates a new set of management facilities in Joram.
  7. Any news on adding the Darksword feature? It seems almost pointless without it...
  8. Still no Darksword feature...[ Go to top ]

Any news on adding the Darksword feature? It seems almost pointless without it...

wow... it took me a second or two... wow... :)

domestic, or imported?