Axis vs...

Discussions

XML & Web services: Axis vs...

1. Axis vs... (2 messages)

Hi,
    I'm fairly new to developing web services. For a graduate project, I'm looking to impelement a 3d visualization system using JNLP, with a middle layer running as a webservices to act as a broker to between the client and spatial database. Anyway, is Axis my best choice to use with Tomcat and Apache? Where does Java Web Services Developer Pack fit in there? I'm slightly confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Threaded Messages (2)

2. Axis vs...[ Go to top ]

Hi Eli,

If your client is only your plain Java app and you dont expect anyone/anthing, except your java app, to use this data, then perhaps a Web Service might be a bit of an over kill.

I would then recommend using a plain XML structure for performance reasons. Setup a Servlet with Apache that you can POST an XML structure and it will return an XML structure.

may i ask what database you are using? I dont know much about spartial databases. How do you query them? can you connect to them via plain JDBC?

Regards,

Saqib

http://galaxy.sagadc.com
    - Web Services in 15 Minutes -
  3. Axis vs...[ Go to top ]

Hello Eli,

As you may know Axis is an Apache open source project commonly used, but it is not the official standard for Web Service Development in Java, this standard is named Java API for XML-Based RPC (JAX-RPC). The Java Web Services Developer Pack contains an implementation of JAX-RPC.
    One important thing to notice, not necessary directly interested for you if you will use Tomcat, it is the fact that J2EE 1.4, mandates the support of JAX-RPC.

I won't go in the detail of talking about using or not SOAP Web Services vs simple XML (POXML ;-Plain Old XML); but I think that when you choose a Web service stack you have to put that in perspective of the requirements of your application. For example, do you need interoperability? Meaning who will consume your web service? only you or a .Net, or other Java stack, ... Do you need security (authentication or encryption, ..) etc etc...

One of the goals of JAX-RPC and the different stack that implements it (J2EE 1.4 containers) is to be interoperable, secure and follow other WS standards...

Also one thing that is not clear for me is how Axis will evolve, if you see the Axis 2.0 Web site, it says that:
    Axis2 is an effort to re-design and totally re-implement both Axis/Java and (eventually) Axis/C++ on a new architecture.

Regards
    Tug