Ericsson releases resource adapter for location based services

Discussions

News: Ericsson releases resource adapter for location based services

1. The developer program at Ericsson Mobility World recently released a resource adapter for Ericsson's MPS (Mobile Positioning System) SDK ver 6.0.1, based on J2EE connector architecture specifications ver 1.5, as a complemented development kit (CDK) to be a case study on using JCA and providing functionality for MPS in J2EE.

The mobile internet consists of several service-enabler APIs for providing different kinds of services, such as charging, SMS, MMS, and location-based services. A distributed application developed on the J2EE platform might need some business logic that involves communication with service-enabler APIs, for example, to send SMS, MMS, or retrieve the positioning information from a positioning gateway. Although EJB provides a good structure for writing business logic, it also restricts the developer to writing specific types of code that might interfere with the EJB container. A few examples of restricted source code in the EJB container, according to EJB specifications, are multithreaded code, Java reflection API, file access, SSL connections, and so on.

For service-enabler APIs, it is quite common to have one or more of these kinds of code, and so should not be accessed from the EJB containers, according to the EJB specifications. The way to overcome the limitations of EJB is to use J2EE Connector Architecture (JCA), by Sun Microsystems.

To access the telecom service layer, different service enablers expose the protocol API, but the problem that developers face is that the API is sometimes not adaptable for the J2EE/EJB platform. The goal of this kit is to guide the developers, step-by-step, on how to adapt their existing API for the J2EE platform.

To ensure developers easily understand the JCA technology, Ericsson developed a resource adapter according to the specifications of J2EE Connector Architecture (JCA) 1.5. The Ericsson MPS (Mobile Positioning System) SDK 6.0.1 was chosen as a service-enabler API. An important consideration for the resource adapter was to develop it in such a way that the EJB clients of the adapter could use the existing API for MPS so that EJB developers did not have to learn a new API to get the same functionality from MPS.

This kit is primarily intended for programmers and other related communities who are moderately experienced in J2EE platform and have a working knowledge of Enterprise Java Beans, and want to make use of the Ericsson MPS SDK to build high-end location-based services leveraging the Enterprise Java Beans. Due to the fact that JCA is not a well-understood technology for most Java developers, this CDK presents an integration solution in an educational style. The knowledge from this CDK could be used to develop adapters for other Enterprise Information Systems inside the telecom world (for example, Charging, SMS, MMS and so on) as well for other systems.

The CDK includes the following:

• Developer's guide with: a technical overview of enterprise application integration (EAI), J2EE Connector Architecture and Ericsson's MPS SDK; design documents for the MPS resource adapter; getting started guide; code descriptions and summary
    • MPS resource adapter
    • Enterprise client application using MPS resource adapter
    • Complete source code and Ant build files
  2. Very interesting that Ericsson makes available such technologies. I've been writing some test applications based on Parlay and also SIP. How does this relate to them? If I write an application based on this CDK, does my operator have to use Ericsson technology to be able to use it? How do I know which operators supports this technology? Any security issues?
    If I incoporate it into my enterprise application is there any possibilities to test it in real world? I know that Ericsson has some customer labs throught the world, do they support it?

Anyone has an answer?

Best regards,

Erik Kayser
  3. Re: Testing applications using MPS[ Go to top ]

Hi,
    Parlay provides positioning APIs, but this CDK is not using Parlay, so it has no direct relation with Parlay ( although the Parlay gateway could use the same enabler in the background ). The CDK has got nothing to do with SIP at all. The API for the MPS SDK is specific to Ericsson, so you have to check the capabilities in the target deployment environment of your operator if you want to use the Ericsson's MPS SDK. For details of MPS, check out the positioning area on Ericsson Mobility World.
    http://www.ericsson.com/mobilityworld/sub/open/technologies/mobile_positioning/index.html

Regarding the testing information, have a look here.
    http://www.ericsson.com/mobilityworld/sub/testarea/index.html

Best Regards,
    Rehman Adil