Help me in choosing a framework

Discussions

Web tier: servlets, JSP, Web frameworks: Help me in choosing a framework

1. Help me in choosing a framework (10 messages)

Hi,

I am new about the frameworks. I worked on JSP/Servlets based architecture. Now we need to move on framework base architecture and need to choose a framework.

I am studiny Struts and Spring. But both has their adavantage/disadavandage. Struts is most popular framework and it seems Spring is getting popular very fast.

In my project I am planning to use Hybernate, JMX, JSP and some custom JSP tag libraries.

Can you please help me in choosing the framework.
    Till now I am more enclined towards Spring. But I seen people are using Spring Struts combination as well.

So please help me to choosing the best option.

Thanks & Regards,
    Umesh

Threaded Messages (10)

2. Umesh,

Hmm I would also consider Java Server Faces, it is the standard accepted by the Java industry to build Web Applications. And like any good MVC framework it will allow you to plug your persistence layer (EJB, Hibernate, Oracle Toplink, ...). I am an Oracle person so I will point you on our page about JSF: http://otn.oracle.com/jsf .
    I have nothing against Spring or Struts -we do support Struts in our IDE-, but if you are starting now, for me it makes sense to use JSF that is production, has the support of all the vendors, tooling around it is great and increase the productivity of developers. And also the JSF model is extensible and support or will support all the new and cool stuff such as Ajax, and this in a transparent manner for you as developer... (No reason to deal with Javascript and HTML.. let the framework do it...)

About JMX, I am not sure to understand the link between *a framework* and JMX, but if you use a J2EE 1.4 container no worry JMX will be there, it is a mandate from the specification.

Regards
    Tug
  3. Forgot to ask, you also mentionned that you will use custom tag lib... Why and how you do not that even brefore starting the project?

Tug
  4. Help me in choosing a framework[ Go to top ]

Thanks Tug for quick response,

actually I need to render content based on the device. for example if a request is coming from mobile device I need to generate WML and if the request is from Desktop browser than i need to render HTML.

So form mobile devices I am planning to use WALL(a sourceforge library)

Thanks,
    Umesh
  5. Help me in choosing a framework[ Go to top ]

I read Craig Tech Talk on JSF at http://www.theserverside.com/talks/videos/CraigMcClanahan2/interview.tss?bandwidth=real

and he suggests JSF for applications which are having heavy UI .

But in my application is vary simple and not having any rech control like Tree, list etc. it has only simple html controls

Regards,
    Umesh
  6. Help me in choosing a framework[ Go to top ]

Both JSF and Struts are reasonable choices. Struts has the advantage of maturity and lots of good tutorials and support around. JSF has the advantage that it came out of the JCP, has wide vendor support, and will be part of J2EE 5.0. There also seems to be a lot of momentum building up around it now and I think it will become the standard Java framework in time.

To some extent I think it comes down to how you and your team like to work; if you use visual editors to do most of your page layup work you’ll probably click with JSF and really like it. If you’re more of a hand crafting with Vi kind of developer you probably won’t. I’d strongly recommend downloading Sun’s Java Studio Creator and having a play to see if it you find it useful.
  7. Help me in choosing a framework[ Go to top ]

Hi Charles,

Actually UI wise my application do not have a veru heavy user interface and supports mobile devices.

Any idea, does JSF ssupport UI creation for mobile device?

I am planning to use some third party JSP tag library like(WALL) for mobile device UIs.

How about Spring Framework if we compare it with struts.

Thanks and regards,
    Umesh
  8. Help me in choosing a framework[ Go to top ]

Hi Umesh,

"does JSF support UI creation for mobile device?"
    Yes. JSF is a good choice for mobile devices because of the way the rendering works. Typically a UI component delegates view responsibility to render objects that are responsible for creating the mark-up or other output. What that mans is that you can make the choice of which renderer to use at request time - for example Xhtml/wap for mobiles or conventional HTML for pc browser apps. Equally you could render different layouts to suit the device you are talking to. It also has some nice advantages if you want to subsequently take advantages of some of the emerging web technology trends such as AJAX and the like. Of course this is really just good old view separation done a different way and you can achieve the same thing with Struts or whatever.

I don't know anything about the Spring web framework and what distinguishes it from the plethora of others. Its very new though (I'm not even sure it is at release status yet) which would make me quite nervous of using it despite the undoubted talents of the Spring team.

BTW – as you've probably noticed. If you ask 6 different J2EE people this question you’ll get at least 12 different answers!
  9. Tapestry framework[ Go to top ]

I think Struts are more common and has a lot of tutorials around the Web but I think u could check out the Tapestry framework, its ideia is very interesting. For Tapestry, everything(TexField, CheckBox, etc..) is a component and the framework is responsible for managing session, context, parameters, URL's for you. The idea is to be focused only on your business rules.

Check out this: Jakarta Tapestry

Regards, Rafael Naufal.
  10. using the taglib[ Go to top ]

why you useing the custom taglib?

I suggest you to uset tablib replace the other framework (struts or spring)
  11. Hi

Spring + Hibernate is very good Combination.

regards
    RamnathN