Atlassian releases JIRA 3.2 and Confluence 1.4

Discussions

News: Atlassian releases JIRA 3.2 and Confluence 1.4

1. Atlassian have released new versions of their J2EE-based products; JIRA 3.2, the company's flagship issue tracker, and Confluence 1.4, an enterprise wiki.

JIRA 3.2 introduces highly anticipated improvements such as:
    • Dramatically enhanced performance, especially when searching
    • Support for multiple Subversion repositories
    • Issue fields can be grouped into tabs
    • Which fields to display is configurable per action (eg. edit, resolve, reopen)
    • Custom fields can now be arbitrarily scoped by project(s) and issue type(s)
    • Improved bulk edit
    • Improved internationalization
    See the JIRA 3.2 release notes for details.

After a series of release candidates Confluence has reached 1.4. Notable improvements include:
    • A cleaner, better organized interface
    • Many improvements to page editing, including 'minor edit' support
    • Page-level permissions
    • Many enhancements to the plugin system, including six new plugin types
    • Improvements to existing macros and themes.
    See Confluence 1.4 New Features for more details.

Threaded Messages (8)

2. I find it very hard to choose between exisiting issue/bug tracker softwares(ranging from Bugzilla, TestTrackPro to JIRA and FogBugz)...It is a "you will like it all" deal from the outside.

Wish some neutral agency(ha ha..waz da?;) did a comparitive study of the features of existing bug trackers and published their results somewhere.
    Emailing the companies is what I did...but they all emailed me extreme BS marketing/sales stuff interspersed with technical mumbo-jumbo and hence was of no real use to me.

Somebody please do a comparitive study between issue trackers (and if it is already published somewhere please give me the link)
  3. Try them yourself and see. If a company doesn't provide trial versions of its software, there's an 80% chance you don't want their software anyway. JIRA takes about 20 minutes to download, install, and run. If that's too much work, use their demo site. FogBugz is easy to install too IIRC. IMO, JIRA is the best, and it's a breeze to install, configure and maintain. If you have the luxury of choosing, picking an issue tracker nowadays is fortunately one of the very few easy decisions in a software developer's life.
  4. If you're really in the market for a new bug tracking system then you can easily do a run-down of features that each system has. But what I've learned over the years is you need to figure out what you really need first. How does the bug tracking process in your company work (or better yet, how should it work if it's not optimal already)? Do you need the ability to give customers or other groups different levels visibility into the process? Then you can start to run down each product's feature list and see if it can handle it. After that, start demoing. Trying to demo a product when you don't know what you really need is a real recipe for getting the wrong product.

As for my experience, some of my employers in the past had their own home grown systems and I've pushed JIRA into one company and am currently using Team Track. Overall, I like JIRA a lot. And the company that I pushed JIRA into has moved on to using Confluence as well with the company really starting to use both pieces heavily (and we're talking business people that want to use it as well...pretty impressive). They're also taking full advantage of the Subversion integration from the development side. On that note I've heard that FogBugz has pretty good integration with Subversion as well.

The home grown systems never worked very well, IMHO. Plus, who wants to maintain a bug tracking system unless that's what your company does? Not me, that's for sure.

-Mike

Sorry, no fancy company quote here. Move along.
  5. Joel Spolsky is a smart guy, so when he writes his applications to be cross platform you can assume a lot of thought went into the architecture.

FogBUGZ is written in VB/.NET and for the unix version he wrote a compiler to convert from VB to PHP and he has an intern fill in the blanks after every compile / build iteration.

So, what he is saying is his primary platform will always be MS/IIS. Take that into consideration when evaluating FogBUGZ.

Matt

P.S. Part of me wonders if Joel has stopped eating his own dog food, as far as taking his own advice.
  6. Fogbugz has the best demo[ Go to top ]

You don't even need to download or install anything to demo Fogbugz. They have a 45-day trial offer where they host everything on their site. I am using it now and the trial works flawlessly. I don't use all the features yet (e.g. Subversion integration, email-based bug reporting) but the simple features my small team needs are all their.
  7. I have been using this one of the biggest financial industry project involving securities services (clearing,Custody)in EU.

We have almost 10-15 sub projects going within like...Positions, Risks, Business Partners, Ref data, Application architecture, GUI, Application security, Tibco, Integration etc.I cannot imagine how we could ahve managed the issues and task mgmt if Jira would'nt had been there.We had nearly 15-20 people team for each sub-project working onsite-offshore-nearshore and each project team having some sort of dependency on other projects.

E.g - A UI project wanted windows like timer to be displayed when a UC is being processed on the server, before it actually displays the data on the client.The task was managed by the 'Framework' team who were sitting somewhere in Paris, and it would become very critical that this requirement be communicated in time and processed to meet release requirement.With Jira, we could easliy handle such and more complicated situations with ease and comfort.

Jira really won our hearts !

Peace,
    Vijay
  8. Track plus[ Go to top ]

Track plus also very nice. You can try here
    http://www.trackplus.com/
  9. Hi,
    do you know any free Java Based Bug Tracking system ?