I am designing an application with the foll features:
- a total of around 10 users could grow in to 200 at the most in 2-3 years
- it is an alert viewing application for viewing alerts generated on stock exchange trades
- user sits in front on screen seeing list of alerts, when there is an alert, edits the informaiton and saves it
- a graph utlity to draw graphs of the movement of trade prices may be necessary
- this can easliy be a thin client because there is no heavy duty operations to be done like drawing etc
- however, (1) sessions are needed to be maintained all day long (2) a push model is needed where new alerts have to be pushed to the client whenever they are generated
should I use thick clients ot hin clients for this ?
If thick clients what is better - RMI or http?
A similar question has been asked there... Could be a starting point for an answer to your specific use case.
It is better to have both. Rich client in intranet and desktop, amd thin cleint over internet.