Discussions

Performance and scalability: Ref: Third Party Tools for Getting Java Thread Dump

1. Appreciate input here

Currently, we are running a EAI/B2B Tools called webMethods I.S. 6.0.1 SP2 and 6.1 SP1 under Window 2000 Advanced Server (for 6.0.1) and Window 2003 Advanced
    Server (for 6.1) as Windows Services.

We are running JVM 1.4.2_06 (Sun)

From time to time, we are requested by webMethods Technical Services to have a thread dump for problem analysis

As far as I know, there is no way to get a thread dump apart from running webMethods I.S. (a java application) from command prompt.

Can anyone recommend some third-party tools that can generate a thread dump for webMethods I.S.

The tools must be non-intrusive to not to impact performance since we 'regularly' need to collect the thread dump against a production webMethods I.S.
    Some of our problems are 'volume' related
    so we may have to turn on the monitoring for a long time in production

Thanks in advance

Best Regards
    Stephen Chung
    Email: stephen.chung@ctwo-solutions.com

Threaded Messages (2)

2. java -X options[ Go to top ]

Check java -X options for your env.
    And start webmethods with modified startup script.
    I am sure you can get your stack.

Jprobe/optimizeit gives thread dump.

Most likely you are looking for a server dump than application dump. applciation dump can be extracted from the simple method thread.dumpstack or some thing like that method
  3. StackTrace[ Go to top ]

This tool can get thread dumps from windows services without any special options or modified scripts.
    http://tmitevski.users.mcs2.netarray.com/stacktrace.jsp