Discussions

General J2EE: Strategies Needed–Create a single view for diff&related web apps

1. The following may be a common problem faced by many of us today in programming/designing.

I am considering cheap (not costly) strategies – below are the challenges and then the strategies I can think of. If you have more to suggest/add, please do post your thoughts! Thank you in advance!!

Problem: I have web applications related to each other within a domain in the company. I need to bring them under one roof so that the client can access them using a single access point in their browsers. Single sign-on is not an issue, but the following are:

Issues:
    1. These applications take their own time to show up (different background processing involved). So, client sees one app showing up before the other one. This looks ugly on one consolidated view.
    2. These applications have different session time-outs too. So, while some apps look alive, other look timed out in the consolidated view. Looks ugly again.

Cheap Strategies:
    1. Use ??? so that all apps load and show up “simultaneously” in the consolidated view.
    2. Use AJAX(?) and keep sessions alive in the background somehow. This way, session time-out issue goes away. More non-costly ideas here?? Like edit web.xml individually??? web.xml won’t solve issue of different session time-outs completely.

Have you resolved similar/exact problems before? If yes, what were your strategies? How did you save money and also got the system up running quickly? Your thoughts will be very valuable. Thank you very much!
  2. Dear Friend,

Your case sound like a typical portal requirement. Al your rewquirements can be met efficiently using a Portal Software - U can use the one you can afford. There are a number of them - SAP EP, Sun One, IBM WS Portal.

Thanks
    Sanjay
  3. Dear Friend,

Your case sound like a typical portal requirement. Al your rewquirements can be met efficiently using a Portal Software - U can use the one you can afford. There are a number of them - SAP EP, Sun One, IBM WS Portal.

Thanks
    Sanjay Vashisht
  4. Thanks for your reply, Sanjay.

But, this is what Portals won't address (correct me where I am wrong - thank you):

1. Portals won't address the requirement of all apps load and show up “simultaneously”. I stress - "simultaneously" and "at the same instant in time".

2. Portal software are proprietary. There are number of other features that we do not want from the Portal software in use.

So, going back to the question, do you have more solutions to think of? Thanks again.