Parasoft JTest 7.0 released

Discussions

News: Parasoft JTest 7.0 released

1. Parasoft JTest 7.0 released (7 messages)

Parasoft has released version 7.0 of JTest, an automated Java unit testing and coding standard analysis product. JTest generates and executes JUnit test cases, and allows developers to extend the generated tests.

Jtest 7.0 introduces Test Case Sniffer, which monitors a running application and automatically generates unit test cases that capture application behavior. The result is a library of test cases against which new code can be tested to ensure it meets specifications and does not "break" existing functionality.

Threaded Messages (7)

2. Broken Link[ Go to top ]

Hi Joeseph,

The url link to JTest appears to be broken:
    http://www.parasoft.com/jsp/products/home.jsp

Regards

William
  3. JTest 6 also has the Test Case sniffer. It comes as add-on component to JTest and is called the Enterprise flavor. However, it is not avaiable for evaluation downloads.
  4. Where is 7.0?[ Go to top ]

Hi,

I couldn't find any reference to Jtest 7.0 on their download page.
    Is there any specific page I should have visited?
    The download access key - email, sent automatically from parasoft referes to version 6.0 only.
  5. The result is a library of test cases against which new code can be tested to ensure it meets specifications and does not "break" existing functionality.
    also commonly referred to as a "regression test"
  6. Parasoft JTest 7.0 released[ Go to top ]

The result is a library of test cases against which new code can be tested to ensure it meets specifications and does not "break" existing functionality.
    also commonly referred to as a "regression test"

Yes, but that doesn't look as nicely on a sales brochure for a CEO or CFO :)
  7. Anyone using this product?[ Go to top ]

Is anybody using JTest?

I'd like to know the quality of the tests it generates. I guess I'd define quality to be if the tests are useful and non-trivial.

How easy is it to keep the generated tests separate from the hand-written ones? I'd hate to think that these tests are a one-way generation that leaves the team with a ton of code to maintain.

I guess my fear would be that you could take a code base. Generate a few thousand trivial tests and give the development team/managers a false sense of security. How would the application know the semantics of a method or an algorithm without some sort of metadata or knowledge?

To be clear, I'm not bashing this product. Just asking naive questions to gain a better understanding of its limits.
  8. Anyone using this product?[ Go to top ]

Just read their testimonials. Seems like the main purpose of JTest is to identify unhandled runtime exceptions. 3-4 of the testimonials mention this.

If you are putting out 3rd party software then the $3000 for this tool may be worth it. If it specializes in one kind of defect but does it well then that could be a good thing.

For enterprise development, maybe not since most of those apps have a top level exception hander and won't crash if a given routine occasionaly throws a RuntimeException.