IBM releases ETTK tool for Laszlo

Discussions

News: IBM releases ETTK tool for Laszlo

1. IBM releases ETTK tool for Laszlo (10 messages)

IBM, as part of their Emerging Technologies Toolkit (ETTK), has released a toolkit for letting developers use Laszlo and JSF together to create "a rich user experience on the browser that looks and feels like a native application."

Through a JSF custom tag library, developers using Faces for Laszlo can integrate OpenLaszlo components into their web application. These components can bind to server-side data that is made available as JavaScript data structures within the browser at runtime.

Maybe this is the solution to awkward UI building in JSF we've all been waiting for.

Threaded Messages (10)

2. IBM releases ETTK tool for Laszlo[ Go to top ]

This looks like an excellent effort on IBM's part. As time goes on, we're going to see more evidence of the power of JSF -- the ability to work with a variety of different client-side technologies (including telnet devices).

(Note, however, that Rational Application Developer is listed as a requirement...)

Kito D. Mann
    Author, JavaServer Faces in Action
    http://www.JSFCentral.com - JSF FAQ, news, and info

Are you using JSF in a project? Send your story to trenches at jsfcentral dot com, and you could get your story published and win a free copy of JavaServer Faces in Action!
  3. IBM releases ETTK tool for Laszlo[ Go to top ]

Send your story to trenches at jsfcentral dot com, and you could get your story published and win a free copy of JavaServer Faces in Action!
    I am about to do my second one, but I already have your book. :)
  4. IBM releases ETTK tool for Laszlo[ Go to top ]

(Note, however, that Rational Application Developer is listed as a requirement...)

And "Websphere® Portal Server 5.1 Test Environment".

I've almost given up looking at anything that is on AlphaWorks. It took me a while to get to that point. But after years of initial excitement then disappointment and/or confusion ...

The licensing (or lack of).
    The many orphaned projects.
    The requirements.

I just can't believe this tool really needs to require RAD 6.0 AND WPS 5.1 Test Environ. Oh well, the concept is good though and does prove the value of JSF.
  5. IBM releases ETTK tool for Laszlo[ Go to top ]

And "Websphere® Portal Server 5.1 Test Environment".I've almost given up looking at anything that is on AlphaWorks. It took me a while to get to that point. But after years of initial excitement then disappointment and/or confusion ... The licensing (or lack of).The many orphaned projects.The requirements.I just can't believe this tool really needs to require RAD 6.0 AND WPS 5.1 Test Environ. Oh well, the concept is good though and does prove the value of JSF.
  6. IBM releases ETTK tool for Laszlo[ Go to top ]

And "Websphere® Portal Server 5.1 Test Environment".I've almost given up looking at anything that is on AlphaWorks. It took me a while to get to that point. But after years of initial excitement then disappointment and/or confusion ... The licensing (or lack of).The many orphaned projects.The requirements.I just can't believe this tool really needs to require RAD 6.0 AND WPS 5.1 Test Environ. Oh well, the concept is good though and does prove the value of JSF.

I too have given up on IBM products. IBM used to give out free Developer editions of their major products allowing the developers to become familiar with their products. Now they send time limited software on DVDs. What is my incentive in installing gazillions of software when I can only use it for 3 months or so.
  7. If we need to buy IBM RAD with is very expensive and does not more than eclipse with something free plugins, IMHO this plugin is useless.
  8. Ok... But[ Go to top ]

Is it that technology free? Can i use in any other IDE ? I think that Oracle are doing something similar in ADF-Faces project in new JDeveloper.
    Would be good to see a feature like that inside MyFaces project, but everybody know the hard work do enable it.

Regards

Edgar Silva
  9. If OpenLaszlo compiler takes an OpenLaszlo source files and compiles it into a Flash file, why not simply use tools from Macromedia to do same thing. Why I should learn Laszlo to do same thing?
  10. If OpenLaszlo compiler takes an OpenLaszlo source files and compiles it into a Flash file, why not simply use tools from Macromedia to do same thing. Why I should learn Laszlo to do same thing?

Macromedia Flex costs lotsa (tm) money. Looking at Lazlo's schema, it wouldn't be difficult at all to build a JSF renderkit for any component to output XML to match Lazlo's schema.

This, just like AJAX, compacted into a JSF component offers many opportunities to a developer, including not needing to learn yet another schema or technology to deliver your application within other mediums.

Jacob Hookom (JSF EG, EL, Facelets, Planet Earth)
  11. ... and if the laszlo app is small enough .

I built an app in laszlo . With 2 forms for which I had to customise the look . Each form had some 60 - 70 fields . App was eating about 100 MB when loaded into explorer . Also because it's single threaded it's sloo..oo...oo...w when loading stuff .

In my app , I had buttons , on which you would press to get one of the forms . The form had custom objects that were extending the laszlo stock form objects and had custom looks . Each form took about 10 seconds to show up .

Also the number of BUGS it has it's unbelivable . Memory leaks all over the place , and stuff hardly ever works if you try to use more javaScript than XML . Then if you get an error ... good luck ...