Compuware OptimalJ 4.0 adds Eclipse support

Discussions

News: Compuware OptimalJ 4.0 adds Eclipse support

1. Compuware OptimalJ 4.0 adds Eclipse support (3 messages)

Compuware has unveiled version 4.0 of its OptimalJ enterprise Java development environment, which includes a new developer edition for Eclipse. All future version of OptimalJ, which supports model-driven archicture (MDA) development, will be built on Eclipse. Compuware has also launched a Pattern Plaza, an online exchange that enables architects to share OptimalJ transformation patterns and collaborate on implementation improvements.

Find out more here.

Threaded Messages (3)

2. Market share?[ Go to top ]

What is OptimalJ's market share among Java IDEs?
  3. Market share?[ Go to top ]

What is OptimalJ's market share among Java IDEs?

OJ isn't an IDE so much as a design tool. I don't think any MDA tool has garnered much in terms of market share. Mind share is open for debate I guess, but judging by the level of interest in this news story I'd say we have our answer. Compuware has invested a lot in OJ, but it hasn't exactly taken hold (yet anyway).
  4. MDA, code-generation and OptimalJ[ Go to top ]

In my mind, OptimalJ is still the prototypical (and probably by now very mature) implementation of MDA - and that "real-world MDA" (rather than the admittedly very neat theoretical concept) I equate with heavy-duty code-generation, which I consider A Bad Thing. The alternative, which is to keep the amount of code to an absolute minimum by carefully organising/designing/architecting/hand-crafting it, just seems so much more intelligent.

Otherwise there is no real point to this post ;-)

cheers,
      gerald

http://www.gerald-loeffler.net