EJB Transaction does not work

Discussions

EJB programming & troubleshooting: EJB Transaction does not work

1. EJB Transaction does not work (1 messages)

Hi,

I have a servlet, a session bean, and an entity bean. A servlet doesn't have any transaction attribute, a session bean has Required, and an entity bean has Required. A session bean is called in remote, and an entity bean is called in local. I have the code like the following:

Servlet:

EJBDelegate ed = new EJBDelegate();
    TwoPhaseSB sb = ed.getTwoPhaseSB();
    sb.testTransaction();

Session Bean(TwoPhaseSB):

public void testTransaction() {
        try{
            //TestInfo is an entity bean
            TestInfoLocal testInfo;
            TestInfoLocalHome testInfoHome = TestInfoUtil.getLocalHome();
            testInfo = testInfoHome.create("525252", "353535", "transaction test insert", "etc");
            testInfo.setElement_id("111111");
            //There's no item which has its primary key as 7777, so there's exception error occurs
            testInfo = testInfoHome.findByPrimaryKey(new Integer(7777));

}catch(Exception e){
             e.printStackTrace();
        }
    }

Since the code in testTransaction is supposed to run in the same transaction, if there's exception occurrs, isn't it supposed to rollback? I mean, creation of item and update should be rollback. But, the data is inserted and created although there's exception. Could anyone can give me the idea why transaction doesn't work? FYI, I'm using Weblogic8.1.
  2. EJB Transaction does not work[ Go to top ]

First, to let the container roll back the transaction, you should pass the exception to it. So, if you handle the exception in a try-catch block, you'll need to re-throw it.

Also, the container rolls back the transaction only with RuntimeExceptions. If you want to roll back the transaction after a Exception other than runtime, you must call the session context's setRollbackOnly().

public void testTransaction() {
        try{
            //TestInfo is an entity bean
            TestInfoLocal testInfo;
            TestInfoLocalHome testInfoHome = TestInfoUtil.getLocalHome();
            testInfo = testInfoHome.create("525252", "353535", "transaction test insert", "etc");
            testInfo.setElement_id("111111");
            //There's no item which has its primary key as 7777, so there's exception error occurs
            testInfo = testInfoHome.findByPrimaryKey(new Integer(7777));

}catch(Exception e){
             e.printStackTrace();
             // FinderException isn't a RuntimeException
             sessionContext.setRollbackOnly();
        }
    }