Microsoft to buy Opera?

Discussions

News: Microsoft to buy Opera?

1. Microsoft to buy Opera? (26 messages)

The rumor mill is busy working overtime and its focus is Microsoft. Insider information has Microsoft is in negotiations to buy Opera Software ASA. However when asked, representatives from Opera say it isn’t so. So what could be behind this rumor that gave it such credibility?

Opera Software ASA develops Web browsers for the desktop and device markets. Though Opera’s market share does not compare to that owned by IE, the browser has been recognized for its innovation and adaptability to the mobile market. On the other hand Microsoft has let IE innovation languish after pummeling Netscape in the market place. With Microsoft’s browser market share looking vulnerable these days it seems reasonable that they may want to buy the more innovated product.

However all of that speculation fell to the wayside after we (the TSS editorial staff) contacted Eskil Sivertsen, the public relations manager for Opera Software. Mr. Sivertsen issued the short statement; "We have not been approached by Microsoft. Nor are we selling Opera to Google. These are just rumors." It does open the question of what would happen should Google offer a competitive alternative to Internet Explorer?

Threaded Messages (26)

2. Competitive alternative[ Go to top ]

Google is already promoting a more-than-competitive alternative Internet Explorer. It is called Firefox.

See http://www.spreadfirefox.com/node/19678
  3. Competitive alternative[ Go to top ]

Google is already promoting a more-than-competitive alternative Internet Explorer. It is called Firefox.

See http://www.spreadfirefox.com/node/19678

What's this Firefox thingie?
  4. Firefox[ Go to top ]

firefox n. Any of various carnivorous mammals of the genus Vulpes and related genera, and characteristically having upright ears, a pointed snout, and a long bushy tail. Male members of the species characteristically evince a perilious proclivity towards swallowing flame throwers and (partially) regurgitating them after the fact.
  5. true[ Go to top ]

You should be a novelist!
  6. Competitive alternative[ Go to top ]

Its a browser 10 times better than the Stupid and useless IE. Its been almost 2 yrs since I started using FireFox and since then there is no turning back to IE. I recommended it to my friends and they also share the same experience. In the current company of mine we use only FireFox not IE :)
  7. The rumor mill is busy working overtime and its focus is Microsoft. Insider information has Microsoft is in negotiations to buy Opera Software ASA.
    If it happens, I hope that it happens only to bury Opera as competitor, not to bring its own bugs, quirks and "features" into MSIE. MSIE bugs are well-known and either being worked around or exploited as features.

Opera does not behave exactly like MSIE, I particularly don't like that it does not care about cache-control headers when going back and forth browser history. I also don't like that it adds *every* request to page history, even if it is request to a same page after redirect. These two facts make my stateful apps with views sychronized with app state look unpretty. MSIE and Mozilla do not have above issues, helping to fight with stale pages and Back button problems.

Opera is great for high-speed disabled people, they like it for what it is. I don't want Microsoft to start saving on bandwidth, this would break or at least de-beutify a lot of stateful dynamic apps, mine included. I don't worry too much at present time, with Opera's share of about 2%. These 2% encounter for the people who like the very fact that Opera caches everything. Let them enjoy browsing as close to offline as it could be.
  8. Microsoft doesn't care anymore. It's primary source of revenue is XBox ;).
  9. Microsoft doesn't care anymore. It's primary source of revenue is XBox ;).

I hope you were being sarcastic since they haven't made one cent with xbox yet.
  10. notice the comma[ Go to top ]

notice the comma at the end of the post you are referring to; it makes a winking eye of a face turned sideways at the end of the comment. This indicates some irony ; maybe, even some light sarcasim.
  11. notice the comma[ Go to top ]

notice the comma at the end of the post you are referring to; it makes a winking eye of a face turned sideways at the end of the comment. This indicates some irony ; maybe, even some light sarcasim.
    Whoops sorry I have the tendency to read too fast.
  12. Firefox rocks ..[ Go to top ]

I switched to FireFox few years back and its more stable and more reliable. I hope some other companies like Google will invest in it and will make it more innovative.

Well, Good to know this site is still a Java Community. I thought it was sold to some .NET company long time ago.
  13. Your enterprise Java Community[ Go to top ]

Is TheServerSide still your enterprise Java community? We all read also other news sites. Can you please stay focused on Java. It doesn't help you if you will reprint all news specially stuff like this.
  14. I think it isn't offtopic[ Go to top ]

I think changes in browser market can significantly impact market of internet applications and thus enterprise java.
  15. I think it isn't offtopic[ Go to top ]

Opera denied the rumoron the very day this was posted on TSS.

--
    Cedric
  16. I think it isn't offtopic[ Go to top ]

Opera denied the rumoron the very day this was posted on TSS.-- Cedric
    IMHO the browser is important in that it is the primary means by which users interact with web applications and consequently is part of the enterprise experience. We (at TSS) heard the rumors and then investigated so that you (our readers) would know the truth.

Even though this turned out to be a rumor I found the response from Opera to me to be interesting. They are not in talks with Microsoft and are not being bought by Google. Does this mean that they were in talks with Google? I've not asked this question of them and maybe by my suggesting it here I'm creating yet another baseless rumor. However the rumor caught our attention because it had enough elements of truth in it to be believable. It suggests that maybe we need to take a peek out of our cubes to see if the conditions are correct for a shakeup in the world of browsers. It is one thing for Google to support FireFox but quite another should they offer thier own.

Regards,
    Kirk
  17. I think it isn't offtopic[ Go to top ]

Even though this turned out to be a rumor I found the response from Opera to me to be interesting. They are not in talks with Microsoft and are not being bought by Google. Does this mean that they were in talks with Google?
    Sorry, Kirk, but if you start publishing stories like this, there is no end in sight.

The problem here is not that it "turned out" to be a rumor: it had *already* been confirmed as a rumor and yet, TSS decided to post it on the front page anyway.

Here is the editorial process:

- Rumor "X" floating around
    - "X" is confirmed bogus
    - What could possibly have led to "X" being a rumor? Discuss.

This stuff belongs in Slashdot, not here.

--
    Cedric
  18. You spend your energy, Cedric.[ Go to top ]

Cedric spent his energy in his detailed explanations. His explanations are for Kirk.

Cedric suggested that it was time for Joseph Ottinger to wind up, and move on.

But, Why should Joe wind up? Why should Joe move on??

Cedric: keep ice on your head, and then reply. Otherwise, do not reply back here. TSS.com and TSS.net are together such a valuable resource. Cameron now jumps in, he shouldn't. What a mess if you think from the other angle!
  19. You spend your energy, Cedric.[ Go to top ]

Cedric suggested that it was time for Joseph Ottinger to wind up, and move on.But, Why should Joe wind up? Why should Joe move on??
    I didn't say anything about "winding up", "moving on" and I didn't even mention Jo in my post.

Please don't put words in my mouth.

Oh and please stop telling people when and what they can post, that's rude.

--
    Cedric
  20. Oh and please stop telling people when and what they can post, that's rude.
    Cedric: I let you taste your own medicine. Below is your message earlier to Kirk telling when and what they can post. That's rude!
    So, look after your business. Just because you are Beust, you do not imply Best.
    Sorry, Kirk, but if you start publishing stories like this, there is no end in sight.

The problem here is not that it "turned out" to be a rumor: it had *already* been confirmed as a rumor and yet, TSS decided to post it on the front page anyway.

Here is the editorial process:

- Rumor "X" floating around
    - "X" is confirmed bogus
    - What could possibly have led to "X" being a rumor? Discuss.

This stuff belongs in Slashdot, not here.

--
    Cedric
  21. Cedric: I let you taste your own medicine. Below is your message earlier to Kirk telling when and what they can post. That's rude!
    Ha ha... touché.

--
    Cedric
  22. Thik[ Go to top ]

Thik. :)
  23. Your comment is moronic, you Pavel Tavoda.

This site's name is TSS (The ServerSide). Enterprise Java is a part of TSS. Just for the name, we split it as TSS.com and TSS.net - where we find TSS.com has more visits (that's all).

TSS.com is not required to stay focused on Java. But, it will try its best to be that way.

After having said this, I will say that your comment is moronic.

We certainly discuss things, diverse but related to Java. Enough.
  24. Dude...[ Go to top ]

Your comment is moronic, you Pavel Tavoda.This site's name is TSS (The ServerSide). Enterprise Java is a part of TSS. Just for the name, we split it as TSS.com and TSS.net - where we find TSS.com has more visits (that's all).TSS.com is not required to stay focused on Java. But, it will try its best to be that way.After having said this, I will say that your comment is moronic. We certainly discuss things, diverse but related to Java. Enough.

From the movie Fifty First Dates:

Dr. Keats: Note the intense overreaction. That's the 'roids talking.
  25. Just for the name, we split it as TSS.com and TSS.net - where we find TSS.com has more visits (that's all).TSS.com is not required to stay focused on Java.
    Are you sure that site with name "Your enterprise Java Community" have to discuss rumor about browser market? When you are looking for .NET developers I will leave this site together with thousand others not interested in YOUR .NET/Windows problems and development. Please keep this good Java focused site Java focused, or you are at risk to loose them.
    Are your really so irresponssible?
  26. Inevitable[ Go to top ]

Stuff like that happens to publicly tradable companies from time to time - rumors to affect share price one way or the other.

Move along, nothing to see.
  27. Oh Damn![ Go to top ]

Here goes my favorite browser! I hope this rumor is not true! Thankfully, we still have Firefox!