Updated AJAX-focused Java BluePrints Solutions Catalog for JSF

Discussions

News: Updated AJAX-focused Java BluePrints Solutions Catalog for JSF

1. The Java BluePrints Solutions catalog has been updated, including JSF 1.1-compatible components, including one that is a combination of Google Maps and Yahoo Geo-Coder exposed as a JSF component. The library also includes JSF 1.2 versions of the original JSF demo components which can serve as an illustration for how to update your JSF components to take advantage of the features of JSF 1.2.

The components included are:
    • Auto Complete Text Field - This is a flexible component that enables a JSF value binding to be responsible for providing the data for a text field autocompletion, a-la Google Suggest. This component is optimized for use in Sun Java Studio Creator 2, but will work with any JSF 1.1 compliant tool and implementation.
    • Map Viewer and Geo-coder Components - This takes the wildly popular Google maps API and combines it with the the geo-location service offered by Yahoo to produce the worlds's first JSF component to use mashup techniques.
    • AJAX Progress Bar - This component puts up a "wait" page where the progress bar is updated by calling a MethodBinding on the server side which return the percent complete, via AJAX. When the progress bar reaches 100%, the component functions as a regular JSF button, allowing navigation to proceed using the regular Faces navigation rules.
    • AJAX Validator - This component enables performing server side validation but allows displaying the validation messages via AJAX, so they appear as if they are using client side validation. This is useful when the validation requires server side access.
    • AJAX FileUpload - This component provides a JSF file upload feature that does the uploading via AJAX. This allows for some DHTML tricks.
    This version of the solutions catalog runs on GlassFish promoted build 36.

Threaded Messages (14)

2. really?

blueprints? AJAX? Sun? yikes!

Sun, go sell some computers or some studio licenses...
  3. really?blueprints? AJAX? Sun? yikes!Sun, go sell some computers or some studio licenses...

Why do you care why and if they care about it? Sun developed Java and many other superior technologies. One of them being one of the most widely used mission critical OS systems (Solaris). Why can't they update blueprints with best practices for Ajax? I don't understand what people have against Sun and other companies. As if, if it's not coming from a non-profit foundation, it's crap or there is a conspiracy theory behind it.

Sun makes great hardware and software. They current market share is a different story.

Ilya
  4. Sun makes great hardware and software.

True, Sun make great hardware. But no, they don't make great software. They make great specs.

J
  5. Glad to see the catalog updated. Actually, I just wrote my new article yesterday ( AJAX without the J: Thoughts on AJAX from a JSF Perspective ) where I mentioned the catalog as a good example of right AJAX support for JSF, but did not recommend to its approach directly. So, "speaking of the devil" :-)

--
    Sergey : jsfTutorials.net
  6. Glad to see the catalog updated. Actually, I just wrote my new article yesterday ( AJAX without the J: Thoughts on AJAX from a JSF Perspective ) where I mentioned the catalog as a good example of right AJAX support for JSF, but did not recommend to its approach directly. So, "speaking of the devil" :-)--Sergey : jsfTutorials.net

Sergey, why not use this approach directly? I'd love to eliminate any trace of javascript (and html at that) from my apps. As a developer, I hate doing anything with javascript, html, css, etc... I think JSF is a step towards eliminating that. When you seperate concerns (I'd much rather dump the design of client side interfaces to some web/graphics designer), AJAX IMO fits within the controler layer within the application, though I'd much rather not stick it in the view. Although it's design does not allow to seperate it completely from the view, with JSF's event driven framework, it becomes easy at least to integrate it seemlessly (to some extent).

IMO AJAX from JSF is a great approach. Not following it, moves some of your logic within your view.

Ilya Sterin
  7. Sergey, why not use this approach directly? I'd love to eliminate any trace of javascript (and html at that) from my apps. As a developer, I hate doing anything with javascript, html, css, etc... I think JSF is a step towards eliminating that.

Ilya, I have no reason to disagree with you, because you just just repear what I say in my article. The keyword in my phrase is a word "directly". As any other standard (ideal solution, blueprint) approach, this Java BluePrints Solutions Catalog is a good subject for process authorization. I.e., for creating framework or library that will follow the highlighting directions and hide the complexity from the end application developers.

--
    Sergey : jsfTutorials.net
  8. Ilya, I have no reason to disagree with you, because you just just repear what I say in my article. The keyword in my phrase is a word "directly". As any other standard (ideal solution, blueprint) approach, this Java BluePrints Solutions Catalog is a good subject for process authorization. I.e., for creating framework or library that will follow the highlighting directions and hide the complexity from the end application developers.--Sergey : jsfTutorials.net

I guess I should of actualy read the article and not skim through it:-) Probably just misunderstood your comment.

Reading now...

Thanks.

Ilya Sterin
  9. I do not understand the example in your article to be honest. You are requesting 3-rd party host via XMLHttp. Your application being loaded from your host is asking another host (google). There are sandbox restrictions you have to worry about.

Marina
    Ajax custom tags :-)
  10. I do not understand the example in your article to be honest. You are requesting 3-rd party host via XMLHttp. Your application being loaded from your host is asking another host (google). There are sandbox restrictions you have to worry about.
    This is just a short example of AJAXin page that anybody can test locally. No reason to understand it like a "right way". Actually, it is not.
  11. Here is a proxy http://www.servletsuite.com/servlets/httpproxy.htm as well as the explanation how it can be used for Ajax (access to Yahoo web services - a real application example)
  12. Personally, I'm glad to see the BluePrints updated. In my mind, JSF and AJAX go hand-in-hand. JSF is a great way to use AJAX without having to worry about the DHTML/JavaScript side of the equation.

Kito D. Mann (kmann at virtua dot com)
    Author, JavaServer Faces in Action
    http://www.JSFCentral.com - JavaServer Faces FAQ, news, and info
  13. At ICEsoft we're convinced that implementing rich internet applications using JSF components that themselves leverage Ajax, without exposing Javascript and all the typical Ajax-related "plumbing" to the application developer, is a trend that we'll all be seeing more of in the future.

If you'd like to see a more complete JSF component suite that provides seamless Ajax capabilities, without requiring any JavaScript development, please check out "ICEfaces": http://www.icesoft.com/products/icefaces.html

Using JSF components that encapsulate Ajax and other DHTML techniques provides fantastic gains to both web-application richness/responsiveness AND developer productivity.

Regards,
      Ken Fyten
      ICEfaces Product Manager
      http://www.icesoft.com
  14. ... and this is just the beginning :-)

-- Jacob
  15. ... and this is just the beginning :-)

unfortunately... Accessability, byebye ;-(

Alexander