Discussions

Performance and scalability: Question about port

1. Question about port (1 messages)

In one of servlets and jsp book,while reading about port,I had a question.They say port is 16 bit number that identifies software programme running on the server.For example port 80 identifies HTTP software that runs on server.They also gave "Using one server spp per port,a server can have up to 65536 different server apps running.[B]although it is possible to run more than one app on the same port if the apps use different protocols[/B])" Does this mean HTTP softare that is running on port 80 can be configured to accept different protocol?Can anybody please explain elaborately what does sentence in bold mean?

Not sure if this is the right form to ask this question.Please guide me to relevant forum.

Thanks
    Veena
  2. Question about port[ Go to top ]

.[B]although it is possible to run more than one app on the same port if the apps use different protocols[/B]

Hi,

In this blocked text. Different protocol means not the application level protocols like http,ftp etc. But the author means , generally we use TCP for communication at transport layer level. but we can also use UDP protocol also.

That means same port can be used by two different applications if they use TCP and UDP respectively.

I hope u could understand this.