Article: Clustering JSR-168 Portlet Applications in Tomcat

Discussions

News: Article: Clustering JSR-168 Portlet Applications in Tomcat

1. JSR-168 Portlet applications represent a special challenge when it comes to clustering within Tomcat. According to Software Architect John A. Lewis, Unicon recently worked with Tomcat developers to get Cross-Context Session Replication built into Tomcat 5.5 and has demonstrated that portlet session data can now be properly replicated. In this article, John discusses how to use Tomcat 5.5, mod_jk 1.2, Apache 2.0 and Pluto 1.0.1 to construct a functioning Tomcat cluster that will properly replicate portlet session information.

Read "Clustering JSR-168 Portlet Applications in Tomcat".

Threaded Messages (6)

2. Authentication?[ Go to top ]

I'm writing a portlet container for Tomcat, and the main (so far unsolved) headache I've had with clustering is the damn login. The login results in a Subject, which is not really serializable. So how do you replicate that information between cluster nodes? Any ideas are welcome... so far I'm only using clustering with Tomcat instances and Apache using sticky sessions, i.e. if an instance dies the users have to login again. In most cases that's good enough, but it'd be nice to be able to avoid it.
  3. Authentication?[ Go to top ]

I'm writing a portlet container for Tomcat, and the main (so far unsolved) headache I've had with clustering is the damn login. The login results in a Subject, which is not really serializable. So how do you replicate that information between cluster nodes? Any ideas are welcome... so far I'm only using clustering with Tomcat instances and Apache using sticky sessions, i.e. if an instance dies the users have to login again. In most cases that's good enough, but it'd be nice to be able to avoid it.

Can you just send the password to all the nodes so each node can get its own (non-serializable) Subject?

BTW, if you need heavy sharing among nodes you can use the totem protocol - see below.

Guglielmo

Enjoy the Fastest Known Reliable Multicast Protocol with Total Ordering

.. or the World's First Pure-Java Terminal Driver
  4. Authentication?[ Go to top ]

Can you just send the password to all the nodes so each node can get its own (non-serializable) Subject?
    Well, having just a password is merely the simplest case. It can be, and often is, arbitrarily complex with one-time passwords and codes, single sign on tokens, and whatnot. It is difficult to generalize taking the login input and re-doing the login on all nodes.

But perhaps it is the best workaround. I sure can't come up with anything better. I would love to know how other portals deal with this particular problem.
  5. JSR 286 specifications[ Go to top ]

Will the JSR 286 specifications address Session clustering issues????

If the answer is yes, then I would have to say that this arctical is a temporary solution (at best).

Listed below are some of the exspectations that will b e
    addressed during the development of this new specification.

2.5 What need of the Java community will be addressed by the proposed specification?
    The new Portlet Specifications will add functionality that was not addressed in the first version specification, other JSRs were not final at the time JSR 168 went to public review (e.g. J2EE 1.4 and JSR 188), or because additional research was needed before determining the correct approach.

The requirement areas we intend to address include, but are not limited to, the following:

- Corrections and clarifications
    - Add access to CC/PP data via JSR188 API
    - Introduction of portlet filters
    - Inter-portlet communication as defined in WSRP 2.0
    - Public render parameters as defined in WSRP 2.0
    - J2EE 1.4 support
    - Enhance caching support and align caching with WSRP
    - Enhance the portlet tag library
    - Align with WSRP versions 2.0
    - Coordinate with the JSF EG to better align JSF with portlets
    The final list of features included in this JSR will be determined by the Expert Group.
  6. Clustering Support?[ Go to top ]

Will the JSR 286 specifications address Session clustering issues????

What makes you think the current spec (JSR168) does not support clustering?
  7. Re: Clustering Support?[ Go to top ]

Hi folks, I am currently being forced to use weblogic portlet because of deployment guidelines provided by client. However, while deploying our application in weblogic portal server, Can we deploy my web application in a different context and portal admin in different context. Can this still work? if yes how can i make it work. I did not find a way to do so. Thanks, Souravmay Das