Liferay Portal 4.0 released with new fine-grained security model

Discussions

News: Liferay Portal 4.0 released with new fine-grained security model

1. Liferay has released Liferay Portal 4.0, which brings a revamped fine-grained security model, enterprise taxonomy, delegated and cascading permissions and administration, public and private pages, JSR-170 compliance via Jackrabbit integration, and page-level themes to the popular open-source portal application.

The latest version of Liferay's JSR-168 compliant open-source portal features a revamped permissioning model which allows assigning of permissions to all portal objects, including individual portlets (e.g., Message Board, Blog, Email) and portlet elements (e.g., Message Board messages, Blog entries).

With 4.0, administrators can bestow privileges and/or delegate security administration to communities, individuals, and organizations and locations (see below). Community and organization/location privileges cascade to individual users.

Enterprise taxonomy is introduced in 4.0 through "organizations" and "locations," which allow portal administrators to organize content and functionality by general enterprise-wide and division-specific pages. A location can be a geographical subdivision (Europe, U.S. West) or some other entity (Home Office Equipment, Manufacturing).

Communities continue to allow grouping by special interest or skill (across organization), and now support public and private pages. A community's public pages are viewable by any member of the portal community, while private pages are limited to members of the community.

Portlets can also be 'sub-themed': individual users can modify the color, font, and style of portlets using an intuitive GUI interface. You'll also see we've made overall improvements to the visual UI and workflow in the CMS and other areas.

Rounding out the package are more themes (GUIs), now assignable to individual pages (previously assigned to communities), JSR-170 compliance via Jackrabbit integration, and additional documentation.

A new version of our website accompanies the release, and the demo is available as always at demo.liferay.net.

We've gotten some press on this release in Network World, which we're excited about.

A big thank you to all who have contributed code, suggestions, and supported Liferay through the years! We wouldn't be here without you. We also welcome criticisms, as they always help us improve the product. We'll be at JavaOne this year, so come by our booth (#935) to chat about Liferay or anything else. It'd be great to meet everyone face to face.

Threaded Messages (27)

2. Not working?[ Go to top ]

Hmmmm....as of 8am (CST) the demo site appears not to be working (the main site is though). Not a very good endorsement for the new release! ;)

In all seriousness, it appears as if Liferay is really making huge strides towards even the most hardcore of corporate CMS demands.
  3. Not working?[ Go to top ]

Sorry about that, we just migrated to a nice new environment and had some misconfigurations in our JVM settings :) Already assigned someone to fix that for the site. Thanks for letting us know!
  4. Not working?[ Go to top ]

While you're at it you might want to try checking your outbound mail settings. I tried creating a new account and it said it mailed my password to my email account (hotmail), but after about 10-15 min it still hasn't arrived. I would've imagined that it wouldn't take this long to receive an auto-gen'd email....or am I just being impatient?
  5. Not working?[ Go to top ]

My mistake (sort of)....aparrently the email came in from " Joe Bloggs" as opposed to something more accurate like "Liferay Demo" and ended up getting dumped directly to my spam folder. Also, the message I received was

"Welcome! You recently created an account at http://localhost."

Might want to change the "localhost" setting.

Looking foward to logging and and playing around in the new version.
  6. Not working?[ Go to top ]

Fixed configuration setting to show demo.liferay.net instead.

If you want to demo the admin functions, you'll have to download one of our distros. The demo one will only allow you to use user functions.
  7. What's portlets for ![ Go to top ]

I can't see no portlets in big portals such as Yahoo , the BBC or anywhere else.I had a look in Liferay's website and noticed that most of those who used Liferay are not using porlets
  8. What's portlets for ![ Go to top ]

I can't see no portlets in big portals such as Yahoo , the BBC or anywhere else.I had a look in Liferay's website and noticed that most of those who used Liferay are not using porlets

I'm not sure you've quite grasped what a portlet is.

They don't have to have minimise and maximise buttons, you know...

Robbie
  9. What's portlets for ![ Go to top ]

Our front page

http://www.liferay.com is actually built entire with portlets and pages. So a portal is a lot more than just boxes with window icons, etc.
  10. What's portlets for ![ Go to top ]

I'm not sure you've quite grasped what a portlet is. They don't have to have minimise and maximise buttons, you know...Robbie
    Indeed. A couple of more examples:
    http://www.royalcourt.se/2.19fe5e61065eb9aeea80002271.html
    http://www.gripen.com/
    http://www.nrm.se/inenglish.4.11e7cc61015dbd72f9800087.html

These are examples of websites built using our JSR 168 portal products, and every single piece of HTML that you see on those websites is produced by JSR 168 portlets.
  11. What's portlets for ![ Go to top ]

The implementations of Liferay that you see on our website in some cases only display the ability to build an external website via portlets and themes. However, what you may not see for some of those, due to privacy reasons, is that they have an intranet built on top of Liferay Portal as well.
  12. There remains some bugs in Liferay[ Go to top ]

Hi friends:

I donwload Liferay4rc1 for test. But find some bugs in it. For example:

1.The Journal portlet couldn't upload chinese attachment.
    2.If I upload file fail for the first time,the second time upload file is hard to successful.
    3.After I edit Document library portlet, I click back button,then I found that the Document library portlet will lost in HOME page.

It is possible to fix these bugs in liferay4.0 release?
  13. does it still have issues with portlets using a shared request? frameworks/developers that use the request, but have different classloaders between portlets will get classcastexceptions all over the place.
  14. We added two new attributes in liferay-portlet.xml.

use-portal-class-loader
    private-request-attributes

The latter allows you to namespace the request attributes. By default, we leave it to false for backwards compatibility. This is really useful when you're using MyFaces JSF because it stores a lot of info in the request attributes.

The final build will default to use unique class loaders. The 4.0.0 code base already contains the logic for unique class loaders, but we're doing tests to make sure there's still 100% backwards compatibility before we default the packaging to that. We want to make sure you can use either setup for our existing deployment base.
  15. demo VERY slow... app server is?[ Go to top ]

slow.... what about sizing? let us know in which app server it runs, so we can avoid it.
  16. Liquid Display[ Go to top ]

Had a quick look at the demo. It looks very nice. I could see using it for a project in the not to distant future but one of the project requirements is for the display to be able to resize to the size of the screen.

Is this feature available out of the box in Liferay and if not can it be easily implemented?
  17. Liquid Display[ Go to top ]

Yup, you can do that already. You just have to write a custom theme, load your custom layout template (may be), etc.
  18. does it resolve problem with RTL/LTR for both portlet decoration and text orientation ?

Thanks
  19. does it resolve problem with RTL/LTR for both portlet decoration and text orientation ?Thanks

any comment in this area ?

thanks
  20. FF not supported...[ Go to top ]

While the system looks very nice, adding content through the side menu is not possible with FF.
  21. FF not supported...[ Go to top ]

Which version of FF? Most of our developers love FF, so you should get good support for that. Make sure to kill your browser cache.
  22. FF not supported...[ Go to top ]

While the system looks very nice, adding content through the side menu is not possible with FF.

Liferay's 4.0 RC1 currently supports Firefox 1.5. We have provided support for Firefox 1.0.7 within our latest build and will be available in our next update.

Brian Kim
  23. No support for WebSphere 6.0?[ Go to top ]

WS6 has been out for 18 months now and still only 5.1 support? Are you giving up on the WebSphere platform or support planned for a future release?

http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/products/portal/deployment_matrix
  24. No support for WebSphere 6.0?[ Go to top ]

I believe it's on the road map. I read it at http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/products/road_map

Google cache of above:
    http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:2KByJZzPNfUJ:www.liferay.com/web/guest/products/road_map+liferay+roadmap&hl=en&gl=in&ct=clnk&cd=1

Best,
    /a
    http://apoorv.info
  25. No support for WebSphere 6.0?[ Go to top ]

Our official support is still WS 5.1 for now. Others in the forums have already deployed it on WS 6.x. We're going to officially support once it passes our QA tests.
  26. Fantastic product, great set of features....terrible forum support. Just look at the huge number of entries that never get a response. What a pity :-(. It can be dreadfully frustrating as someone coming new to the product.
  27. can't see added portlets[ Go to top ]

I have downloaded the liferay portal enterprise 4.0 with JBoss and Tomcat. I am able to deploy my portlets on it and liferay shows the deployed portlets in the list shown in Admin portlet. But when it comes to adding a portlet on a page using "Add Content", it do not shows the newly added portlets. can somebody gone through the same and help me out of it.

Also I was working with version 3.6.1 of Liferay with JBoss and Tomcat and everything was working fine except the displaytag library and due to it I want to updgrade to Lliferay 4.0
  28. Re: can't see added portlets[ Go to top ]

You need to configure the new portlet listing using liferay-display.xml. There is doc on this at liferay developer zone.