Jahia 5.0 Community Edition released – Now 100% Open Source

Discussions

News: Jahia 5.0 Community Edition released – Now 100% Open Source

1. Jahia Ltd. has announced the general availability of Jahia Community Edition 5.0, a 100% open source and unified web platform which includes in one single product technologies such as an Enterprise Content Management System, a Document Management Tool, a Search Engine, a JSR168 compliant Corporate Portal Server and dozen of ready to use collaborative portlets. The Jahia Community Edition is now free to download and use under a modified version of the open source Common Development and Distribution License (CDDL). The launch of this release represents a major contribution to the open source community with more than 2200 classes and files. The other Commercial Editions of Jahia will be launched in a few weeks and will be available under a sustainable commercial license (100% of the source code available but with some license royalties based on a fair "contribute or pay" paradigm). Key features of the Jahia 5.0 Community Edition include:
    • 100% free and open source
    • Easy installation procedure
    • Ultra-simple and intuitive In-Context Editing
    • Full and native JSR168 Portal and CMS integration
    • AJAX powered GUI
    • Webdav support in order to ease file management
    • Dozens of ready to use collaborative portlets including a discussion forum, a calendar server, a chat, etc.
    • Support for blogs
    • Integrated Search Engine
    • Automatic thumbnails creation
    • Integrated workflow system
    • Full permissions support
    • Internationalization ready
    More details about the features included in each edition are available at Jahia's website. Message was edited by: joeo@enigmastation.com

Threaded Messages (15)

2. http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/excerpts/2004-01-16-paradox-choice_x.htm# http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/12/15/opinion/meyer/printable1131620.shtml http://www.apa.org/monitor/jun04/toomany.html
  3. If you're going to release a crippleware version of your product, please don't advertise it as 100% open source.
  4. The Jahia Community Edition is 100% open source. It includes a full CMS with a full Portal (based on Jetspeed 2), a full integrated search engine (based on Lucene) and a complete webdav doc management system (based on Apache Slide). I do not speak about the workflow module or all the other features... So you can call it crippleware but do you know a more integrated ready to use open source stack? So excepted a few enterprise wide options and modules, this edition includes all the Jahia features. Else all the source code for all the commercial modules is also fully released. Indeed the license is nearly the same excepted it enforce some royalties for "free-riders". That's all. Else you keep all your other rights such as the ability to redistribute, sublicense,...the code. So something far more open than any other commercial editions of other professional open source vendors such as SugarCRM for example. Cheers, Stéphane
  5. So you can call it crippleware but do you know a more integrated ready to use open source stack?
    Sure - try JBoss portal - comes with a CRM system as well.
  6. So you can call it crippleware but do you know a more integrated ready to use open source stack?

Sure - try JBoss portal - comes with a CRM system as well.
    Correction, JBoss Portal bundles a JSR-170 CMS... not a CRM piece. ok... you can go back to hunting wabbits. ;-) STAY METAL! Roy Russo
  7. So you can call it crippleware but do you know a more integrated ready to use open source stack?
    Thats... a... hard... question... to... answer... STAY METAL! Roy Russo
  8. Stephane, are you saying that the feature matrix to which the article links contains outdated information and we can download sources for LDAP, SSO, clustering and so on, compile the product and use it?
  9. Hi again Mikael, If you just click on the licensing shortcut or read the licesing FAQ you will see that 1) 80% of Jahia is released under an open source license (CDDL which is basically a modified mozilla license) and 2) that the 20% pending commercial modules are released under the JSSL (Jahia Sustainable Software License) which is basically the same as the CDDL one excepted that a) there are some royalties for commercial use and b) you can compensate those royalties by any contribution in the code base. All other rights of the CDDL are basically exactly the same and are preserved. Finally if you go in the CVS, you will find 100% of the Jahia classes released either under the CDDL or the JSSL. So yes all the SSO, LDAP, clustering, JSR170 XML import/export modules are present in the CVS. Please read the Jahia licenses on http://www.jahia.org/license. You can find more information about the "sustainable" business model here: http://www.sustainablesoftware.info Best Regards, Stéphane
  10. Indeed the license is nearly the same excepted it enforce some royalties for "free-riders". That's all.
    I'm just curious how much significant source code, enhancements, and "in kind" submissions have been made back to the Lucene, JetSpeed, Jackrabbit, Slide, Tomcat, and numerous other projects that their system leverages. Pot meet Kettle.
  11. Jahia Ltd employs one Jackrabbit and one Slide committers. We delegated (=financed) the integration of Jetspeed 2.0 in Jahia to David Sean Taylor, lead committer of the J2 project. We contributed back to the Bedework Calendar project (BSD license) a full syncronization plattform. This year we help develop a new JSR168 portlet on top of this server (LGPL license). Another engineer is a committer for the Meven IDE Borland plug-in. We plan to recruit several new Apache committers this year. Finally the whole Jetspeed community, even if they do not plan to use Jahia, can freely reuse all the portlets we developed or are developing (CDDL license). Same is true for Slide users who can frelly benefit from our AJAX based file manager GUI. So 1) yes we are involved with the OSS community and 2) even if we were not involved in these underlying libraries, which is not the case, I do not see the link with the release of the Jahia Community Edition under an open source license which is mainly a whole home made ECMS not based on any existing OSS library. So this is a new contribution to the OSS community and not just a quick integration of some existing open source libraries. Cheers, Stéphane
  12. Mea Culpa
  13. Long ago, I was a big fan of JSSL idea, that software should come with all source, but commercial users should pay (in contribution or money). I'm not a fan anymore, because the hard reality is, that open source community rejects everything that is not exactly 100% open source. I know your community edition of Jahia (which is excellent software, by the way) is now 100% open source, but I think it would be worth considering offering everything as open source. I know it's hard and risky to build a profitable 100% open source business strategy, but there are proven methods to achieve this. I can sense, that you want to make all Jahia open source, if you find a business model that would allow that. I certainly hope that the day, when all of Jahia will be open source, is not far away.
  14. Other OpenSource portals[ Go to top ]

As far as I know Sun Portal is OpenSource now.
  15. I wish for a moment to comment on Stephane and others comments on this thread. My organization, a charitable non-profit, is an existing Jahia customer. I am one of Jahias greatest fans, noting that the functionality of the software -- especially the CMS and MyPortal portions -- is second-to-none, and it is so out-of-the-box. I have the utmost respect for Stephane, Michel, and the rest of the Jahia teams contributions and I applaud their efforts to place Jahia more in line with the open-source licensing and sustainable business models. This being said, I am concerned about what functionality has been segmented out of the released Community Edition. My concerns are, again, from the perspective of a Non-Profit. Obviously, we (as most non-profits of moderate means and size) could not afford the full cost of a Jahia professional or enterprise license. It has occurred to me, as it seems others, that some of the features excluded from the community edition are really no longer expected to be solely for enterprises. This remains particularly true for non-profits -- especially those with fairly large membership bases and/or a set of volunteers. LDAP integration is a good example here. We usually have some kind of membership database system that can in some way be tied into LDAP. For instance, we are using Novell eDirectory (which, for smaller deployments [<250,000 user objects] is free from Novell) to handle the tracking of users. We hope (eventually) to tie eDirectory into an advocacy database via LDAP and provide additional resources for the volunteers -- especially in the areas of information and coordination. Advokit is one example of an application useful in this area. It would be nice to also allow members and contributors to access content on the "portal" especially for them (restricted from the public), and to also participate in the advocacy process. If tied to an existing membership database via LDAP or LDIF, it becomes a fairly easy process as long as the portal can access the common (or "gateway") database without us having to enter user data into multiple systems manually. Data entry with volunteers (and I am as well a volunteer) is a nightmare. A similar issue comes up with versioning and page approvals. Non-profits have similar, but distinct, issues in this area in contrast to for-profit companies. For instance, with several volunteers working on the web site it is easy to hit the delete button on a page or section. This is a current issue. There is a need to quickly restore a page in case of overzealous editing. Similarly, advocacy organizations such as ours tend to have a lot of volunteers who have "loud voices," or dont pay much attention to web posting rules (such as no ALL CAPS). An approval process ensures that someone with reviewer responsibility looks at a page before it becomes public. With companies, there is always the threat of no future paychecks to motivate compliance and care. It is awfully hard to “fire” a volunteer. In the US, there is also an issue related to legal compliance. Especially under the current political climate, the government imposes strict rules as to the nature of how we, as a federally-recognized non-profit, communicate to the public. This is especially true if we are criticizing government policy or pending legislation. "Tagging" pages with the IRS (the tax people) designation helps if we are audited. This concern (and need) is (unfortunately) shared across all US non-profit organizations. If we dont control and document things properly, we can loose our non-profit status... Obviously, most non-profits dont have a need for many of the features in the Enterprise Edition (and even the professional edition). Moreover, certainly there is a very reasonable and legitimate reason to reduce "free-riding" of your product. Perhaps the solution, if I may, is to create -- and I know this is probably not an easy solution -- a "non-profit/charity" or "advocacy organization" edition. In this edition, one would find all of the Community Edition features. However, the following additional components would be provided: 1. LDAP Integration 2. Virtual Site factory (useful for segmenting information geographically, for instance) 3. Metadata and Categories (compliance and related issues) 4. Versioning and basic approval triggers 5. Web Clipping Builder (to display information not yet in RSS format) In any case, this is something to consider. Though, I understand the difficulty of maintaining another product version. However, it would allow for the selective distribution of the revision and largely matches the feature functionalities of typo3, ez Publish, Sun Enterprise Portal, etc... with the excellent interface and administrative features of Jahia. This functionality methodology is also similar to that provided by Zimbra and Scalix in the eMail arena for instance, where LDAP and other “enterprise” features are included, but there are other license restrictions in place that would encourage most corporate deployments to be under paid software and support terms. In the end, non-profits have to rely largely (and in my case entirely) on volunteers to maintain the technology infrastructure we utilize. Anything to reduce administrative overhead and error is monumentally important as it distracts from our mission. My apologies for the long post… I solicit feedback and discourse!
  16. Hi Chris, First of all nothing is fixed in this Community Edition and every good idea can be discussed. We tried to make the best segmentation we could given several criterias such as the prior commercial modules in the previous editions (such as the versioning module for instance which was commercial before, so it is then more difficult to explain to an existing customer why he just payed two weeks ago something he could now get for free!). Then our policy was and will continue to be the fairest as possible for charitable organisations. So, as Michel certainly told you, we have no problem to give such or such commercial module for free on a case by case basis(like it was already the case in the past). Most of the time, enterprise-wide features (such as LDAP, SSO,...) are not required by small charitable organizations. So the free community edition (which is basically all the feature of the privous jahia 4.x standard edition) should be quite perfect to address their needs. Then you always have some custom needs such as yours or those of non profit organisations but which heavily relies on free work done by some of their charitable members. In such cases we try to figure out some fair arrangements. So it seems to me that Michel already told you that there was no problem in order to give to your association a free Professional Edition of Jahia 5.0... And be sure that we will continue with this policy in the future... Finally everybody including charitable organisations can also pay their Jahia license fee in kind. So if you find one of your charitable member who is ready to help us review the Jahia documentation, translate Jahia into another language or contribute from one manner or the other, I think this would be fair too. Do not forget that all our commercial modules are still available under our old "contribute or pay" paradigm... which is certainly quite similar to what your associations require from its members (some work time or some donations). Cheers, Stéphane