JGAP 3.0final released

Discussions

News: JGAP 3.0final released

1. JGAP 3.0final released (3 messages)

JGAP (download) is a genetic algorithms and genetic programming package written in Java. It is designed to require minimum effort to use "out of the box," but is also designed to be highly modular. It allows custom components to be easily plugged in. JGAP version 3.0final represents a major release manifesting well tested Genetic Programming capabilities with JGAP, including two GP examples. One example, a Fibonacci computation, is quite complex and shows the GP capabilities of JGAP as well as displaying the best evolved programs in the form of a graphical tree. We took the feedback from the three release candidates to enhance the current release. As always, the javadocs have been improved, new unit tests have been added (we are counting nearly 1200), and the overall GP structure has improved a lot.

Threaded Messages (3)

2. Re: JGAP 3.0final released[ Go to top ]

Not sure this belongs to the server side in (I mean Evolutionary Stuff in general), but still this is good news :-) I've used this package a little bit (only GAs), it revealed convenient and intuitive, it was perfect for my "first contact" with the evolutionary world. Since that time, we have switched to ECJ (which looks much more powerful, but has a higher learning curve) because JGAP didn't provide support for Multi-Objective (e.g. SPEA). What does JGAP offer more than ECJ, for the GA part ? Have fun, Remi
  3. Re: JGAP and ECJ[ Go to top ]

Remi, thanx for your feedback! Yes, ECJ is more powerful to some extent and yes, it has a higher learning curve. Besides, multi-objective is available as a small demo, but not bull blown with JGAP, we work on that. And JGAP's GP is quite powerful. The thing I could recomment JGAP over ECJ is its architecture, its developer documentation (have a look at the javadoc), and the many unit tests. Compare that to ECJ and you know what I mean (newer ECJ versions may have improved compared to earlier versions. ECJ 14 seems quite quell documented). It's easier to extent a package if it is made for that. Best Klaus
    Not sure this belongs to the server side in (I mean Evolutionary Stuff in general), but still this is good news :-)

I've used this package a little bit (only GAs), it revealed convenient and intuitive, it was perfect for my "first contact" with the evolutionary world.

Since that time, we have switched to ECJ (which looks much more powerful, but has a higher learning curve) because JGAP didn't provide support for Multi-Objective (e.g. SPEA).

What does JGAP offer more than ECJ, for the GA part ?

Have fun,

Remi
  4. Re: JGAP and ECJ[ Go to top ]

Besides, multi-objective is available as a small demo, but not bull blown with JGAP, we work on that.
    I'll stay tuned...
    It's easier to extent a package if it is made for that.
    Fully agreed ! Actually I had to "hack" some parts of ECJ to enable using it in a webapp :-/ But on the other hand I like the way it uses IoC for configuring the runs... Anyway, good luck to JGAP ! I'll keep an eye on it. Have fun Remi