Podcast: Mike Keith on Java Persistence

Discussions

News: Podcast: Mike Keith on Java Persistence

1. Podcast: Mike Keith on Java Persistence (5 messages)

One of the key results of the work on EJB 3.0 has been the introduction of a new, standard API for Java persistence and object-relational mapping (ORM). This work initially began as part of EJB 3.0 and, in response to the urging of the Java community, has been expanded to include use in Java SE environments ("outside the Java EE container"). In this podcast, taken from a presentation at TSSJS-Europe, Mike Keith, Oracle TopLink Architect, EJB 3.0 co-spec lead and Java EE 5 expert group (JSR 244) member, discusses everything Java persistence. The session covers:
    • Key aspects of Java persistence, including use of the EntityManager API
    • Persistence units and persistence contexts
    • Object-relational mapping using Java metadata annotations
    • Extensions to EJB QL
    • How to use Java persistence in Java SE environments
    View the slides for this presentation.

2. Excellent presentation. Both MP3 and PDF are very clear and easy to understand. Great introduction to JPA. Mike
  3. well done I like this, slides and podcast is great. can be downloaded and played back on any device. One question SPI for pluggable Persistence Providers SPI is to me known as Stateful packet Inspection, from the Firewall nomenclature, Here it is most likely in java something else. sincerely Morten
  4. SPI = Service Provider Interface[ Go to top ]

One question

SPI for pluggable Persistence Providers

SPI is to me known as Stateful packet Inspection, from the Firewall nomenclature,

Here it is most likely in java something else.
    Check out the javax.persistence.spi package for details. The terminology is used elsewhere in the Java API as well - searching for packages named "....spi" in the core Java API will find several such packages.
  5. oops - possible mismatch[ Go to top ]

Hi, I believe there is a significant mismatch between the slides and the talk. It becomes very apprarent about 15 minutes into the talk when there is a reference to a Customer pointing to a SalesRep and SalesRep does not appear within the slides. Based on earlier moments in the talk, I wonder if the slides are from the talk on the preceeding day discussing the components of the JPA. Each is very interesting, I would love to have both! Bill
  6. It would be great if TheServerSide could provide a RSS for the podcasts so it would be possible to use iTunes (or similar programs) to download the podcasts (and sync them to iPods...).