Oracle announces SOA Suite 10.1.3

Discussions

News: Oracle announces SOA Suite 10.1.3

1. Oracle announces SOA Suite 10.1.3 (29 messages)

Oracle has announced the availability of Oracle SOA Suite 10 g Release 3, a component of Oracle Fusion Middleware. Oracle SOA Suite can be used with Oracle and non-Oracle application servers and messaging technology, including IBM WebSphere, BEA WebLogic and JBoss Application Servers. Components of the Suite include Oracle BPEL Process Manager, Oracle Business Activity Monitoring, Oracle Business Rules, Oracle Enterprise Service Bus, Oracle JDeveloper and Oracle Web Services Manager. The Suite offers a set of enhancements to simplify aspects of SOA deployment and installation including:
    • One-click install
    • Enhanced Enterprise Service Bus (ESB)
    • Expanded human workflow capabilities
    • Enhanced Web services security and interoperability facilities
    • Expanded capabilities for SOA governance, including an enhanced Web services registry and Web services manager
    Oracle SOA Suite's orchestration component, Oracle BPEL Process Manager, delivers expanded human workflow capabilities that provide a simplified workflow designer and new algorithms for managing complex task routing and escalation. Oracle BPEL Process Manager also includes a new testing framework that automates process testing and service simulation for SOA applications, and a decision service that enables developers to integrate with busines rules repositories from Oracle, ILog, and other rules engines from within the BPEL designer. Oracle's SOA Suite provides a single, integrated, browser-based console to administer policies across multiple, distributed enforcement points in both Oracle and non-Oracle middleware and heterogeneous enterprise applications. The Suite provides facilities to:
    • Identify, categorize, version, and publish services to an Enterprise Service Registry and provide service change notifications to developers and applications
    • Securely view services and govern the provisioning of new services
    • Centralize the management of security polices and service-level agreements, including authentication, authorization and encryption policies
    • Centralize the management of service-level agreements for performance, guaranteed response time, and high availability and failover on services
    • Out-of-the-box functionality to implement common governance requirements for business process auditing and canonical data models
    • Metadata repository services to capture and track service interactions and store SOA artifacts and metadata for Web services, service orchestrations and policies
    Oracle Fusion Middleware enables customers to adopt and manage SOAs in heterogeneous computing environments. What do you think of Oracle's SOA Suite?

Threaded Messages (29)

2. integration specifications?[ Go to top ]

Does it implement any of the integration specifications? JBI? SCA? C http://ChintanRajyaguru.com
  3. With support from leading stake holders(read application server and integration solutions vendors) like IBM, BEA, Oracle, and many others, SCA(Service Component Architecture) has picked up a great momentum . The specifications are still being evolved to become more mature and complete. Oracle is actively involved in the process. BTW SCA specifications are yet to participate in any standardization process. When it comes closer to standardization, you may see SCA based SOA suites from various vendors including, offcourse, Oracle. It would be interesting to see how the story of JBI and SCA would evolve. Instead of JBI vs SCA battle, in long term, I would expect some sort of convergence or integration. It might be a wishful thinking on my part. Please note that JBI is part of JSR/JCP standardization while SCA would not be subjected to the same standarization process. SCA is not a "Java only" specs. So it might be submitted to Oasis or W3C. A different standardization processes would be one of the reasons for both JBI and SCA not coverging to a level of an unified specifications. But I expect vendors to be innovative to develop their own flavour of integration or coexistance of JBI and SCA. Just to complicate the matter, it would be interesting to note that Microsoft would continue to promote yet another direction with its Windows Communication Foundation(WCF).
  4. This is great news![ Go to top ]

I have been enjoying multiple projects using Oracle BPEL Process Manager version 10.1.2x so far. The new 10.1.3 version offers some valuable additions like an Enterprise Service Bus product and a business rules engine. Also, from playing around with the early beta and developer preview releases I know the suite contains various improvements to the BPEL product as well. I especially like the vastly improved workflow capabilities as well as the unit testing options for business processes. Also, Oracle really integrated the suite, e.g.: BPEL and ESB exchange messages in such a way that you can audit the entire process. Finally: the entire suite is now much easier to install :-) My expectations are high and my guess is that Oracle will emerge as a leader in the SOA space. Go check out this new SOA Suite!
  5. Re: This is great news![ Go to top ]

I have been enjoying multiple projects using Oracle BPEL Process Manager version 10.1.2x so far. The new 10.1.3 version offers some valuable additions like an Enterprise Service Bus product and a business rules engine. Also, from playing around with the early beta and developer preview releases I know the suite contains various improvements to the BPEL product as well. I especially like the vastly improved workflow capabilities as well as the unit testing options for business processes.
    Also, Oracle really integrated the suite, e.g.: BPEL and ESB exchange messages in such a way that you can audit the entire process.
    Finally: the entire suite is now much easier to install :-)

My expectations are high and my guess is that Oracle will emerge as a leader in the SOA space. Go check out this new SOA Suite!
    Nice to hear some interested words which are practically associated with the Thread-Theme. Please, give us some more details from your experiences with the mentioned SOA Suite - maybe that animates also several other professional guys [ possibly also someone from Oracle - or is neither of them at home in TSS ;-) ] Roland
  6. Some SOA Suite experiences[ Go to top ]

Hi Roland et al, Per your request, some background on what my company (Inter Access in the Netherlands) has done with Oracle's SOA Suite so far: - Helped 10 local governments (and counting) in the Netherlands to connect a front-office with multiple back-office systems from different vendors by positioning a SOA/BPEL based solution in the mid-office. Some of these solutions are hosted by us, other customers run these locally. SOA Suite is one of the basic building blocks in our Web+ solution. - A business process outsourcer in mortgage services streamlines its business processes by using Oracle BPEL Process Manager. It gives them the flexibility to quickly adapt to there customer's demands. - A customer that provides administration services for the education market is able to expand its services portfolio by integrating applications from external parties rather than developing these applications on their own. Hence, I believe SOA seriously re-architects the way companies do business. Hope this helps. Cheers, Sjoerd
  7. Re: Some SOA Suite experiences[ Go to top ]

Hi Sjoerd, thx for your extended informations from the praxis. That's exactly the type of postings which we need a lot more: objective, informativ and experienced by the real practice... Regards to Netherland. Roland
  8. Oracle is a great database but why would I want an SOA from a database vendor? Surely a database is just another service to enable not an architecture enabling other services. I'm sure it will manage to convert come of the Oracle database users as they did with their J2EE stack but for Financial Services I haven't seen them get very far. So with Oracle SOA Suite how do I service enable my SWIFT gateway, how to I enable my SwapWire gateway with validation rules, integrate services to my central FpML-based bus? Come to think of it, how do I even store a SWIFT message in an Oracle DB? BEA, IONA, Sonic, PolarLake, GigaSpaces and Tangosol can do it but Oracle can't. What do they all have in common that Oracle doesn't? C24, Without it you can't integrate. :-) Did I mention, Oracle's a great database! -John-
  9. Oracle is a great database but why would I want an SOA from a database vendor?
    To remind some of the additional, matured product lines which are maybe more associated with the business solution areas ... The Service-oriented Architecture isn't primarily a Technology Concept - but rather a concept to reform the existing structure of business processes in enterprises. So - in my opinion - can't be so bad, when a Solution Provider has also matured expertises and product lines within distinct areas of the business processes ;-) The combination of matured expertises and excellent products in both areas - Business and Technology - will build the most satisfactory and successful Solution.
    Come to think of it, how do I even store a SWIFT message in an Oracle DB? BEA, IONA, Sonic, PolarLake, GigaSpaces and Tangosol can do it but Oracle can't. What do they all have in common that Oracle doesn't?

C24, Without it you can't integrate. :-)
    What about of some more details to this interested question (What do they all ... and ... ) ? -- Sorry for my simple English ... Roland SOA Kompetenznetzwerk Information & Collaboration Portal
  10. Oracle needs FS abilities[ Go to top ]

Come to think of it, how do I even store a SWIFT message in an Oracle DB? BEA, IONA, Sonic, PolarLake, GigaSpaces and Tangosol can do it but Oracle can't. What do they all have in common that Oracle doesn't?

C24, Without it you can't integrate. :-)
    What about of some more details to this interested question (What do they all ... and ... ) ?
    Roland, What I wanted to point out was that Oracle falls under a rare group of SOA/ESB vendors that don't use our meta-data, modeling and code generation tool so it's difficult to see how they can manage any of the financial services standards like SWIFT, ISO 20022 UNIFI with validation rules, CREST, OASYS, FIX, TWIST etc. For this reason they will have very limited use in financial services. You can't put a complex message into a database unless you know it's structure, you can write it as a CLOB but then you can't do much with it unless, again, you understand it's structure. What we provide is the model that describes these and other complex message structures. Using this many of the other SOA/ESB vendors are able to service enable, integrate and content-base route messages to/from complex applications. The vendors above can all read a SWIFT message and "understand" its content through our Integration Objects (IO). Tangosol for example can read a SWIFT message, any of the 384 odd messages, and persist it in their Coherence cache. They can index them, search them, sort them distribute them, modify them, validate them and transform them all within the cache. Oracle can do none of this natively since they don't "understand" a SWIFT message.
    Sorry for my simple English...
    Roland
    Your English is fine, no one should worry about their English in a place like this. -John-
  11. John, do you consider iWay a competitor then? When I spoke to them about SOA and integration they don't just do SOAP. They do all these different technologies and map from anything to anything. Can you tell me the difference in positionning between you and them please?
  12. John, do you consider iWay a competitor then? When I spoke to them about SOA and integration they don't just do SOAP. They do all these different technologies and map from anything to anything. Can you tell me the difference in positionning between you and them please?
    Michael, iWay have a very good selection of adapters but they are "jack of all" rather than "master of any". Their financial services integration is rather limited. The only place we've come across them is with large OEMs (mostly ESB vendors) who have replaced iWay with our technology in this vertical. Take a look at iWay's web page on SWIFT, anyone that knows even the slightest bit about investment banking or SWIFT will tell you it's well over 3 years out of date. C24 have replaced iWay in at least two major ESB vendors, for example the C24 partnership with BEA got them the full "SwiftReady Gold EAI label" from SWIFT in 2005, part of the certification implies at least 5 customers using the technology. I have and still recommended iWay for COTS connectivity, I've met a lot of them in New York over the years and they seem like a good bunch. Obviously they could boost their own financial services vertical by using our technology, it has been discussed. -John-
  13. Re: Oracle needs FS abilities[ Go to top ]

Or they should have acquired SeeBeyond before Sun ;-) Jin
  14. Re: Oracle needs FS abilities[ Go to top ]

John, That's exactly the point that I mentioned privous:
    The combination of matured expertises and excellent products in both areas - Business and Technology - provides the most satisfactory and successful solutions.
    The banking scene is one of the sectors, which needs more than others the Service-oriented Architectures and in many cases a complete restructuring of their over the years antiquated and difficult manageable infrastructure with many different monolithic applications and supported protocols. For the implementation of a modern, flexible infrastructure, we need also the generic Services which are really re-usable and extensible to the real Business-Cases, providing encapsulated and secure solutions for the completely and intelligent handling of Standard-Procedures,..., how e.g. the mentioned SWIFT-Handling and others. Its also very important, that this services are be applicable in a simple manner to a wide range of SOA-Solutions, independently that this solutions are available under comercial or Open Source licenses. Maybe, that's a point of view, which is not considered in the same manner by all Solution-Providers. -- Sorry, I must confess that I haved received several times very interested and professional informations over Integration Objects (IO), but unfortunately as yet, I don't had the time to take the necesary intense and detailled look into the interested features of IO. I hope the next future permitts this. Roland SOA Kompetenznetzwerk Information & Collaboration Portal Relaunch Portal with new Look & Feel and advanced Information- & Collaboration Strategy in 2 Weeks ...
  15. Re: Oracle needs FS abilities[ Go to top ]

What I wanted to point out was that Oracle falls under a rare group of SOA/ESB vendors that don't use our meta-data, modeling and code generation tool so it's difficult to see how they can manage any of the financial services standards like SWIFT, ISO 20022 UNIFI with validation rules, CREST, OASYS, FIX, TWIST etc. For this reason they will have very limited use in financial services.
    John, Do you mean that if Oracle partners with C24, then they will immediately become a major player in FS? You mention that Tangosol "can read a SWIFT message, any of the 384 odd messages, and persist it in their Coherence cache." Is Tangosol really doing all this, or is C24 technology doing all the conversion, and Tangosol simply storing the result in their distributed cache? If so, then C24 should be very complementary to all of the Data Fabric vendor products, including GigaSpaces and GemFire. Don't get me wrong, I've spend years of my career on projects and technologies to integrate financial messaging protocols, and C24's ideas seem spot-on. I would be interested to know the key proprietary enablers that make C24 the only way to go. I've been somewhat surprised that C24 doesn't try to build a more fully-featured vertical solution that OEM's some key components . . . Or, perhaps, this is for another less tech-focused company to do. Cheers, Gideon GemFire--The Enterprise Data Fabric http://www.gemstone.com
  16. Re: Oracle needs FS abilities[ Go to top ]

Hi Gideon,
    Do you mean that if Oracle partners with C24, then they will immediately become a major player in FS?
    I know the Oracle database very well, I worked with it for decades and pushed it as a technology right up to 10g. I don't know their SOA solution and sadly there just aren't enough hours in the day to get to know it but if there were it wouldn't be at the top of my list. Knowing the database there are a lot of clever things you can do with Java. Over the years we have already integrated IO into Oracle 8i and 9i and it provides powerful features. In answer to your question, yes, the combination would add strong financial services capabilities to the Oracle suite.
    You mention that Tangosol "can read a SWIFT message, any of the 384 odd messages, and persist it in their Coherence cache." Is Tangosol really doing all this, or is C24 technology doing all the conversion, and Tangosol simply storing the result in their distributed cache?
    Tangosol's Coherence simply "stores" the C24-IO object in it's cache, the object exposes a very rich API that allows the powerful features of Coherence to make the most of the C24-IO object. It's really the combination of the two technologies that demonstrate this rather unique match, of all the integration we've done it was probably the quickest.
    If so, then C24 should be very complementary to all of the Data Fabric vendor products, including GigaSpaces and GemFire.
    Yes you're right, we've done a lot of work with GigaSpaces, they were one of our first partners. As for GemFire; We were invited to your office in Portland recently to talk about working together, talk to your guys in New York (Gavin), we're working on a client in his region. -John-
  17. Oracle announces SOA Suite 10.1.3[ Go to top ]

Oracle have as usual been on a buying spree and they haven't really done any of the development of any of this themselves, they've just bought best of breed software and renamed it Oracle .... Thats the way most of the big boys are going with SOA, they're all on the look out for SOA components to buy up and rebrand. Currently if you want to make some money develop an SOA component and wait to be bought buy someone. Also if you work in IT for a company and you had to go to your IT director to justifying IT spend on SOA toolsets I bet you'd find it a lot easier going to say your buying Oracle SOA suite, rather than Joe Bloggs SOA suite, Joe Bloggs might be the better product, but they may not be around in 12 months time whereas Oracle is likely to be and thats what the IT directors of the world want to hear. Also the IT Directors are likely to get better perks form Oracle than Joe Bloggs, anyone for a game of golf at St. Andrews....
  18. But they bought the right stuff![ Go to top ]

... they've just bought best of breed software and renamed it Oracle ...
    Sure they bought a lot of that stuff. But there is a keen strategy behind this. Where the world was screaming Enterprise Service Bus, Oracle was positioning BPEL first. And IMHO, from a business perspective this is much more valuable ... Also, with the Collaxa product, they managed to buy the best in the market indeed. And now the entire Collaxa team is part of the happy-Oracle-family. The size and drive of Oracle provides them with the opportunity to really grow their baby. I feel Oracle deserves some credit, my guess is they are on the right track with their SOA stack. Cheers, Sjoerd
  19. Come to think of it, how do I even store a SWIFT message in an Oracle DB?
    I'd say in a BLOB column.
  20. Come to think of it, how do I even store a SWIFT message in an Oracle DB?
    I'd say in a BLOB column.
    Correct, a BLOB or a CLOB usually do the trick but how do you extract the details of the message to index it? The C24 API can provide an XPath 2.0 interface to any SWIFT message, this means that you can extract details out of the message as it's inserted. We've done this at a lot of banks, they store complex messages as CLOBs which means they can handle multiple versions and immensely complex messages without the overhead of ORM layers. The C24-IO object provides the DAO and everything works much faster with less code. Here's the top of an MT541 (A settlement message)... {1:F01DRESGB2LAXXX0548034693}{2:I541DRESDEFFXXXXN2}{3:{108:MT541}}{4: :16R:GENL :20C::SEME//FRTJ123REC2 :23G:NEWM :16S:GENL :16R:TRADDET :98A::TRAD//20000519 :98A::SETT//20000524 :90A::DEAL//PRCT/101,001283 :35B:ISIN GB0987654321 We can store this as a CLOB and access the details of the trade through XPath, for example... //Field98a2/A[Qualifier='TRAD']/DateYYYYMMDD will return the trade date (19th May 2000 in this case) //SequenceNumber will return the sequence number (034693) //MessageType the message type (541) Now IBM can do this but what's unique in our case is that we don't need to convert it to XML first, the XPath 2.0 works directly on the parsed IO object making it very fast. Because Oracle has Java stored procs all of this functionality can be embedded in the database making it look seamless. -John-
  21. Oracle had introduced XPATH based similar tracking fields a few years back in its Process connect integration product. In SOA 10.1.3, Enterprise Service Bus supports similar tracking based on user defined XPATHs. Based on SOA foundation, I believe functionalities needed for verticals like FS, HCM etc can be built on. Typically solutions to such vertical problems are provided by Oracle applications (E-Business suites, Peoplesoft's, Siebel etc). If I remember correctly, for certain integrations, both Oracle e-Business suites and Peoplesoft apps had used iWay adapters. I believe that Oracle itself replaced many/some of the adapters by its own adapters. However, it is reasonable to expect that, like most of the major players, Oracle SOA + applications may not be providing perfect solutions to all the vertical problems. Thats where all the partners and ISVs come into picture and fill in any possible gap.
  22. Oracle has XPath - But only for XML[ Go to top ]

Hi, I agree with what you say (Oracle having XPath) but it only works with XML-based messages, that's easy to do, what we do is model both the XML and the non-XML standards and provide XPath to those too. You can even access a comma-delimited file through XPath if required. Again many vendors can do this by converting the message to XML but it's very slow, lossy and add complexity. Finally something also missing from the vast majority of other offerings are constraints, SWIFT have complex constraints or network validation rules associated with each message, failure to adhere to these network rules results in a fine, usually based on the value of the message. When you think that one of our clients put around half a $trillion ($500,000,000,000) through our code ever DAY you can imagine how important these rules become, fines can reach several tens of thousands a day. These rules also exist in several XML message formats such as FpML, ISO-20022 UNIFI, ACORD, TWIST etc. so just handling the XML or offering XPath will not cut it with the large financial services clients, you need to implement everything. -John- CTO, C24
  23. Oops[ Go to top ]

The normally very good TSS HTML checker missed my opening "" and closing "< / a >" so everything has appeared in bold, sorry. Log a bug guys! -John-
  24. Re: Oracle has XPath - But only for XML[ Go to top ]

ever thought about partnering with a commercially supported open source stack such as mule to build out your integration capabilities? From what I can tell, it seems like you are dead on about what your products can provide, however, that's only a small part of the bigger picture in terms of the integration needs in financial services. It gets complicated and ugly (trust me ;-) the deeper you get to the center of some of these systems.
  25. Re: Oracle has XPath - But only for XML[ Go to top ]

ever thought about partnering with a commercially supported open source stack such as mule to build out your integration capabilities? From what I can tell, it seems like you are dead on about what your products can provide, however, that's only a small part of the bigger picture in terms of the integration needs in financial services. It gets complicated and ugly (trust me ;-) the deeper you get to the center of some of these systems.
    We do already, Mule is integrated into our standard package. We have to be careful what we provide though, if we provide too many "full features" we start to compete with our own partners. We don't want to start doing what BEA, PolarLake, IONA, Sonic etc. etc. do otherwise they'll want to take us on as competition. We'd rather partner with them and stick to what we're good at and leave them to take each other on. Mule provides an excellent host for C24 and it works nicely through Spring. The combination (Mule + C24) is used as the core ESB for one of the largest banks in the world. -John-
  26. Re: Oracle has XPath - But only for XML[ Go to top ]

Why not? Seriously, the problem with some of the companies you are partnering with (my opinion only) is that it too much money and time (time being most important) to get the big stacks in and integrated. Its great to here about the integration you already have with Mule. The challenge I see in some FS co's is that once a big vended stack gets in, you throw in the bureaucratic oversight (governance?) and you are dozens of months away before you hit the ground. I would imagine that the mule integration you speak of took much less time to hit the trading floors.
  27. Re: Oracle has XPath - But only for XML[ Go to top ]

Why not? Seriously, the problem with some of the companies you are partnering with (my opinion only) is that it too much money and time (time being most important) to get the big stacks in and integrated. Its great to here about the integration you already have with Mule. The challenge I see in some FS co's is that once a big vended stack gets in, you throw in the bureaucratic oversight (governance?) and you are dozens of months away before you hit the ground. I would imagine that the mule integration you speak of took much less time to hit the trading floors.
    I have to agree to a extent but I don't think your observations are anything new, in general the bigger the company generally the more the bureaucracy. On the other hand, the bigger you get as a vendor the higher up the customer hierarchy you communicate to; they tend to prefer the bureaucracy and governance over technical abilities at this level. At the project level customers tend to like the small niche company with an agile development team but when you reach the CTO/CIO level of a large bank they tend to want to know a little more about your governance. Like it or not, you're into the vicious circle. -John-
  28. Re: Oracle has XPath - But only for XML[ Go to top ]

In fact C24 and Mule have been working together for some time. C24 IO nails a very ugly problem of dealing with a multitude of Xml standards with complex relationships and rules, with a very high performance solution. We are working with C24 on a couple of accounts and I don't know of any technology that even come close. Cheers, Ross Mason
  29. Nothing like a whole suite of...something. Clinton ;-)
  30. Oracle SOA Express[ Go to top ]

I like the power of Oracle Application Express. Now I would like something with the same philosophy, no java stuff, for SOA. Just like Application Express is based on the HTP package and the MOD_PLSQL, I'm waiting to see an XMLDB based product. The name ? Oracle SOA Express, obviously.