I was active a few years ago, in the area of EJBs.
At that time, the IDE's were quite rudimentary, and one would almost rather prefer to do everything by hand..
I am used to model in UML, and only afterwards to get down to lower levels of design - so quite the classic way. But this classic way of design makes sense, especially when having to do with several business partners, UML can make a great "common ground" for discussions.
I am thus looking for an IDE, which can fulfill the following (doesnt have to be 1 IDE, can also be constituted by several components):
- UML Modeling: Requirements Analysis, Use Case Diagrams, Class Diagrams, Sequence, Collaboration, State Diagrams, etc. etc. Component Diagrams - everything.
- Java Development Support, Enterprise Java, Development of EJBs
- Deployment of EJBs, Integration with JBoss (as VISUAL (graphical) and AUTOMATED as possible !!!!)
- many visual modeling features
- graphical Interface for Java GUI Design
- Exporting of UML Diagrams as Graphic File
- Integration with many App Servers (Bea Weblogic, Websphere, etc.)
- Testing Tools, also for Robustness Tests, Load Capacity etc.
- EER Modelling, Database Support, visual Interface to several databases (graphical presentation SQL tables and their relations with each other), graphical design and representation of queries (MS-Access Style)
I think theres nothing more to add - even if I forgot something, I believe that an IDE fulfilling these features has already caught "the spirit" and will fulfill any of the rest that I could imagine.
Do you know such an IDE ? Many proposed to me the solution of "Eclipse with Plugins". I tried this 2 years ago.. was quite a deception - too many things to do manually, too many automatable steps to do each and every time, etc.
Looking forward for your suggestions and experiences,