The design/coding concept "Don’t Repeat Yourself"
(DRY) has gained pretty wide acceptance. The originators of that slogan, Dave Thomas and Andy Hunt, known as the Pragmatic Programmers
, have a number of other principles also. On their website you can find a page that lists them with a one line summary for each.
Here is a small sampling of the list;
- Program Close to the Problem Domain
- Don't Assume It---Prove It
- Design with Contracts
- Don't Think Outside the Box---Find the Box
- Don't Live with Broken Windows
- Use a Single Editor Well
- Use Exceptions for Exceptional Problems
See if you can guess at what each of these means before looking at the explanation. You maybe surprised at the result.