Flowchart4j V 1.0.0 - Eclipse Plugin - Sourcecode to Flowchart.

Discussions

News: Flowchart4j V 1.0.0 - Eclipse Plugin - Sourcecode to Flowchart.

1. Flowchart4j is a program visualization tool for Java. It provides flowcharts for Java methods generated from source code. The Control Flow Graph helps developers & managers to understand code flow quickly. Alternatively it can be used or retro-documentation and program analysis. As Flowchart4j comes as an Eclipse IDE plugin, developers have an in-place program visualization tool which improves understandability of code integrated into their IDE. Flowchart4j is interactive and provides features like code to flowchart synchronization, level folding, block expansion, highlighting complex conditions and exit points. Flowchart4j works on any fragment of Java source (build not required). Flowchart4j is a commercial product, starting at 38EU for a single license, with prices going down as more licenses are purchased. An enterprise license is available for 950EU.

Threaded Messages (13)

2. Managers understand code?[ Go to top ]

The Control Flow Graph helps developers & managers to understand code flow quickly.
    Son, yuh gots it all wrong! Thuh only thang managers wuntz tuh unnerstand bout code is whenz it gonna be done! Whut a waskaly idea, yuh varmint!
  3. Some time it make sense[ Go to top ]

Some time this plug in make sense. There is a bunch of people especially in America, those who like to work in IT cuz of the pay but at the same time with zero logical skills. They are all known as IT managers and decision makers, some time they need help through tools like this. I also see the demo from the site, atleast it is impressive that they are not doing a demo with "hello world" or shopping cart java program.
  4. Follow the money...[ Go to top ]

Some time this plug in make sense. There is a bunch of people especially in America, those who like to work in IT cuz of the pay but at the same time with zero logical skills.
    "especially in America"? Are you joking? I /expect/ the anti US rhetoric on places like Digg and /., but here? I don't think the US has any "lock" on people who want money. In fact, I think you can trace where a large portion of these zero logical talent people are, in any part of the world, based simply where the money's going. Now I wonder where that would be?
  5. Shaji - yuh needs tuh switch kareers[ Go to top ]

Some time this plug in make sense. There is a bunch of people especially in America, those who like to work in IT cuz of the pay but at the same time with zero logical skills. They are all known as IT managers and decision makers, some time they need help through tools like this.

I also see the demo from the site, atleast it is impressive that they are not doing a demo with "hello world" or shopping cart java program.
    Shaji, son, yuh gots it all wrong too. Yuh see, this tool aint gonna help no managers - yer makin the sumption that them thar managers visualize stuff thuh way thuh developer of this here software does. Now whut country izz you from that makes yuh think yer so logikull? Pleaze tell me soze I kin really grill folks from yer neck of thuh woods on them thar 'logical skills' when Ize interviewin. Yer a fool son if yuh thinks that such characterizations is isuhlated tuh 'merica. You waskal you, Shaji!
  6. Don't feed the bears[ Go to top ]

... There is a bunch of people especially in America, those who like to work in IT cuz of the pay but at the same time with zero logical skills. They are all known as IT managers and decision makers, some time they need help through tools like this...
    So the solution is to give them more idiot proof tools rather than force them to become competent in their duties? I struggle to see the value in that. I'm not saying that flowcharting isn't valuable mind you. I'm just saying that dumbing things down for incompetent managers shouldn't be a motivation for using it.
  7. Re: Don't feed the bears[ Go to top ]

I'm just saying that dumbing things down for incompetent managers shouldn't be a motivation for using it.
    If you can dumb things down for them with little effort on your part, they may go away more quickly and leave you alone. A nice chart to look at might occupy them for hours. Ever have kids?
  8. Re: Don't feed the bears[ Go to top ]

hehehe.... point well taken. And yes, I have kids. Remarkable the resemblance they bear to some managers isn't it? Still though, playing devils advocate, it's pretty obvious that you're treating the symptom and not the disease at that point. I've certainly done it myself though. Some people are just easier to ignore or placate rather than actually having to correct them.
  9. It is not about dumbing things[ Go to top ]

I have some code that has lots of unnecessary stuff. Take for example a Struts session-scope form bean that contains some complicated flow and session state. Now it came to a point, you have to refactor it or rewrite it. Now you do not have documentation too. All you have is the screen flow (you start the application and figure it by yourself) and the code with lots of action methods and private helper common methods serving lots of pages. Hmm. Refactoring, pain. I do not want to spend a day or two to analyze what this form bean is doing, etc. I do not know this flow chart plugin is going to help towards my perspective. However anything in diagram might help you refactor or even rewrite it easily. And some people like the diagram/chart way although they can read and understand the code. Just a thought.
  10. Why?[ Go to top ]

This plugin looks like an interesting little toy to develop. However, who would use such a plugin? I am sure that Java code will be a lot easier to read than flow charts to most developers (otherwise, you should consider changing career). cheers romen
  11. Every tool has a designed purpose[ Go to top ]

Pictures might be quicker to understand, and since it's taken right from the code, it is very possible that it will reveal things you THOUGHT you understood about your code. Think of it as another set of eyes. Anytime you get can get a different perspective on things, code is generally going to improve. (Unless a graphical view of code is useless, which I doubt, since it's been around since the 60's)
  12. Re: Why?[ Go to top ]

This plugin looks like an interesting little toy to develop. However, who would use such a plugin? I am sure that Java code will be a lot easier to read than flow charts to most developers (otherwise, you should consider changing career).

cheers
    romen
    Well, I'm not changing my career. This tool could be useful if it gives me a graphical road map to what the code is doing so I can more quickly zero in on things or just get a feel for the process. My question is why a flowchart and not a sequence diagram? BTW, you may write pretty code, but I see a lot of poorly organized, poorly designed, inelegant and uncommented code. It is miserable to read aesthetically and because it is obtuse. I’d really rather avoid having to slog through it if I can.
  13. I would love to buy this but can i try it first before convincing my manager that it has some value. we have used togetherJ in the past and that has generated some sequence diagrams too. but this also sounds like a great tool.
  14. Flowchart4j now V1.1.0 and provides "Export to Visio" feature. Free trial available.