Apple WWDC Steve Jobs Keynote Live Coverage

Discussions

News: Apple WWDC Steve Jobs Keynote Live Coverage

1. More Java developers have adopted a Mac as their primary system, either with a workstation or a portable system. The number of Mac users at TheServerSide Java Symposium, JavaOne, and other conferences continues to grow every year to the point of near ubiquity in some quarters. TheServerSide.com will cover the Apple Worldwide Developer Conference keynote address by Steve Jobs live from the Moscone Center in San Francisco, beginning at 10:00 PST. Join the discussion through this website, or come to #theserverside channel in the irc://irc.freenode.net IRC network. Users jottinger and pr3d4t0r will host.

Threaded Messages (17)

2. Greetings. This won't be a minute-by-minute account of the keynote address. Instead, you can expect a reply like this one whenever a new subject has been covered. Cheers, E
  3. Arrival: 0800 - 0830 PST[ Go to top ]

Wow. Lots of people have arrived at Moscone West for the keynote address. It's still more than 90 minutes away, yet the seating is already gone. Lots of people waiting in line. Apple set up a couple of very large monitors in the main area at Moscone West to play the keynote back for those who won't be able to find a place inside the auditorium. The complete keynote address will be available on QuickTime later in the day, according to the Apple PR staff. There won't be any live streams, however. Things are rather well-organized. Let's see how things evolve in the next few hours.
  4. Hey Fan boy![ Go to top ]

I'm on the edge of my seat waitin fer the next post on this topic!
  5. Re: Hey Fan boy![ Go to top ]

I'm on the edge of my seat waitin fer the next post on this topic!
    Anything for you, sweetie. Cheers, E
  6. Try live.macnn.com[ Go to top ]

Try this one as an alternative for live coverage: http://live.macnn.com/
  7. Not a single word about Java[ Go to top ]

Not a single word about Java. That's obviously not a priority to have up-to-date support for the lastest java version.
  8. Steve Jobs keynote summary[ Go to top ]

5000 attendees -- biggest ever 950,000 ADC members +100K since last year. 159 sessions, 94 hands-on labs, 1,200 engineers on-site. Transition from PowerPC to Intel - most ambitious transition in the industry. Praise for Intel for their support in transitioning to their chips. Kicking off by inviting Paul Otellini (Inten CEO) to the stage. Jobs presents a custom-made award thanks to Paul Otellini. Thanks all around. "Working with Apple is one of the best things that's ever happened for Intel. The best is still to come." Great news about games: EA is coming back to the Mac. Bing Gordon on stage with Jobs. Beginning in July, 4 biggest titles: Command & Conquer 3, Battlefield 2142, Need for Speed Carbon, Harry Potter & Phoenix. Demos on iMac. "The only better thing that living on a Mac is living in Hogwarts." "Candles are going to float in this room... that's one of the features of Leopard..." Simultaneous launches on Mac OS within august. Madden 08 and Tiger Wooeds PGA Tour 08 as examples. John Carmack - id software Wow factor. Better graphics and textures than in the EA games. 20 GB of textures. Road Warrior landscape, cars, dessert, etc. demo. Demo at E3, etc. 10 days only to make a great demo. What will the final product look like? Final look at Leopard before it ships in October 2007. 21 months after Tiger on Intel. Leopard is the 6th release of OS X. 300 new features. Features 1: New Desktop! Blue pattern is gone. Pick your own desktop. The menu bar adapts to the photo on, a new 3-D Dock, and something to clean the desktop. Stacks - clean up the desktop. Consistent window look. Prominent active window. Stacks are folders that allow rapid access to the contents. Dedicated folder for downloads. Demo. Features 2: New Finder * New sidebar * Search other Macs and servers * Browse and share files in a local 'net * .Mac: Back to my Mac. * Cover Flow Cover Flow: Documents like in iTunes album view. Devices/Shared/Places/Search on the sidebar. Easier to find stuff, and it supports adding your own smart folders. Autosync files over .Mac. The new Finder looks a lot like iTunes. In fact, it seems like all the windows now have the iTunes L&F. In Cover Flow you can cycle not only through documents, but also through individual pages without having to open the document. Ditto for any media (play movie), applications, utilities. Great way to find things. Super-useful. LAN: Cover Flow over the network to look at documents on another Mac. Back to my Mac - .Mac new tab. Browse the presentations in the remote system, drag to local desktop, and that's it. Nice. Shared machines can be searched within the LAN. Even if it's not in the local computer. Features 3: Quick Look * Life file previews (without opening an application) Text, images, movies, PDF, Word, Excel, etc. * Plug-in model * Full screen Features 4: 64-bit top to bottom *NIX and Cocoa * One version runs 32- and 64-bit side-by-side Scientific computation, professional arts, animation, Photoshop, etc. Almost every computer shipped by Apple is 64-bit capable. Features 5: Core Animation * Automatic animation * Test, images, video, OpenGL * Higher production values * Scene of layers * GPU acceleration is automatic Features 6: Bootcamp 2.5M downloads of beta * Built-in * XP and Vista * Native speed * Completely compatible * No more CD burning to install drivers * Great complement to Parallels and VMWare Features 7: Spaces * Group applications in separate Spaces * Instantly switch between Spaces * Move applications between Spaces * Birds eye view of work life Meh. Nothing too exciting. Desktop Manager already does most of that... all? Re-arrange the spaces. Meh. Nice. DnD between spaces Features 8: Dashboard * 3000+ widgets for it in the wild * Movie times widget (including buying tickets, etc. previews, etc.) * WebCliip - let's a user make a widget without programming WebClip works directly from Safari. Push button with scissors in action bar. Click. Make it a widget. Repeat for another site. Very cool. * Dashcode Features 9: iChat * Better audio - AAC-LD (low delay) * Tabbed chat * Photobooth effects * iChat Theatre (iPhoto, Keynote slide shows, movies; any Quick Look) * Backdrops - animated - awesome, alpha channel blending on other images. Features 10: Time Machine * One-click setup * Automatically backs up everything * To local or network drive * Even wirelessly (Airport) * Search back in time for lost files (Spotlight) * Preview files as they are found * Restore with one click * Restore the complete Mac Again, ho-hum. Nothing too exciting. Nice UI. Make it so simple and automatic that people actually use it. Get a copy today! Walk downstairs and pick up a copy this morning. Feedback, etc. Leopard * $129 Basic Version * $129 Premium * $129 Business * $129 Enterprise * $129 Ultimate version One More Thing.... Safari. 18.6 million users; market share ~= 5% IE 78% FF 15% Safari for Windows runs on Leopard and Windows XP and Vista. iBench - twice as fast as IE HTML Javascript 0.9 vs. 2.4 * Most innovative * Fastest browser on Windows * Google and Yahoo! search built-in * Distributed through... iTunes public beta *today* * www.apple.com/safari One last thing... iPhone * 29.June - 18 days from today * Developers? Sweet solution * Create apps in mobile through Safari (inside) * Write Web 2.0 + AJAX * Integrate with iPhone services (call, email, locations, etc.) * Instant distribution via Internet * Easy to update * Secure - same as transactions with a bank * Sandboxed on the iPhone * No SDK required -- web apps VP iPhone Software Scott Forstall does a demo. Interesting. Salesforce.com, Google, etc. Run the applications in the Mac in the meantime, etc.
  9. Leopard delayed again[ Go to top ]

First it was end of last year, then it was spring, now it's October? What's the huge delay? Also, can we expect JDK 6 before leopard ships? Ilya
  10. Re: Leopard delayed again[ Go to top ]

Howdy. One thing I noticed is that Java was not mentioned at all during the keynote. Another somewhat worrisome sign is that the Java 6 beta from the Apple Developer Connection site hasn't been updated since last September. The coup de grace for me was the use of AJAXified widgets for the iPhone instead of opening it up for native applications. Unless they came up with something like Google Gears, or unless they expect you to be connected all the time, iPhone apps will have to be connected. All these things point to not-much-attention to Java. I hope it's not a sign of worry because I really like using Java on my Macs for development. Cheers, E
  11. Java, iPhone and Leopard[ Go to top ]

For all of the excited messages from Jonathan Schwartz and others at JavaOne about how Sun will monetize the installed base of mobile handsets that run Java, it does not make sense to me that Sun would let this boat sail away from the dock without Java onboard. There was no Apple presence at JavaOne and no announcements or even good answers to questions from Sun about the iPhone or Leopard support for Java. I've been using the Apple JDK 1.6 DP 1 from October 2006 on Mac OS X 10.4 to run beta versions of TestMaker 5. Overall the experience has been ok. I can count on 1-2 stack failures a week. Not bad for an "early access" release but not stable either. A software development kit for the iPhone would have been great, and is missing from the June 2006 release of the iPhone. Imagine if the JDK was that SDK! Instead, Java doesn't even run on the iPhone. I suppose I could run the Sun JDK 1.6 for Windows using Parallels and Bootcamp, but why shouldn't I just buy a $420 Dell laptop at Fry's and do my development on Windows? I could duct-tape it to the back of my PowerBook! I wish Sun and Apple would answer some basic questions: 1) When will Java 1.6 ship for Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) and 10.5 (Leopard)? 2) When will Java 1.6 be available as a runtime environment for the iPhone? 3) What is Apple's plan to release Dolphin on Leopard? 4) Why do we have to depend solely on Apple to make the JRE available on Mac OS X? Why doesn't Sun make its own JRE for Mac OS X available? -Frank Cohen http://www.pushtotest.com
  12. Re: Java, iPhone and Leopard[ Go to top ]

Frank, how've you been. Sorry, have been extremely busy, I'm sure you have as well...
    For all of the excited messages from Jonathan Schwartz and others at JavaOne about how Sun will monetize the installed base of mobile handsets that run Java, it does not make sense to me that Sun would let this boat sail away from the dock without Java onboard. There was no Apple presence at JavaOne and no announcements or even good answers to questions from Sun about the iPhone or Leopard support for Java.

I've been using the Apple JDK 1.6 DP 1 from October 2006 on Mac OS X 10.4 to run beta versions of TestMaker 5. Overall the experience has been ok. I can count on 1-2 stack failures a week. Not bad for an "early access" release but not stable either.

A software development kit for the iPhone would have been great, and is missing from the June 2006 release of the iPhone. Imagine if the JDK was that SDK! Instead, Java doesn't even run on the iPhone.
    Last I heard Apple was not going to allow apps to be installed on iPhone that are not developed by them. I might be wrong, but I don't think there will be an SDK, unless what I've been hearing is just FUD.

I suppose I could run the Sun JDK 1.6 for Windows using Parallels and Bootcamp, but why shouldn't I just buy a $420 Dell laptop at Fry's and do my development on Windows? I could duct-tape it to the back of my PowerBook!

Yeah, I'm not sure why people even entertain that option. I have a MacBook Pro because I want to use OS X, not because it's a nice collection of hardware and design.
    I wish Sun and Apple would answer some basic questions:

1) When will Java 1.6 ship for Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) and 10.5 (Leopard)?

Last I heard is that 1.6 will only be available for Leopard. Although that sucks, I was fine with it until I head the Leopard ship date of October.
    2) When will Java 1.6 be available as a runtime environment for the iPhone?
    I don't think it ever will. Did you hear otherwise?

3) What is Apple's plan to release Dolphin on Leopard?

4) Why do we have to depend solely on Apple to make the JRE available on Mac OS X? Why doesn't Sun make its own JRE for Mac OS X available?
    Seriously. With most of Sun java developers using Mac (at least that's a perception I get), I'd think they would either release one or help Apple get one out faster. Can anyone from Sun or Apple comment?
  13. Re: Java, iPhone and Leopard[ Go to top ]

4) Why do we have to depend solely on Apple to make the JRE available on Mac OS X? Why doesn't Sun make its own JRE for Mac OS X available?
    This is the key. As a developer I don't trust Apple to maintain an up-to-date and fast JVM. Too much delays, too much silence. Sun should handle this. Now that Mac runs on Intel processors that shouldn't be too hard to do. It is clear that Java is not a priority at all. Jobs doesn't like Java. He doesn't see Java's value added for the Mac OS X. In a sense he might be right. The Java community doesn't add any substantial value to the Mac platform. Of course developers buys a few computers but that's probably not a substantial amount. Again, if Sun really wants Java to be cross platform they must take the responsibility to maintain Java for the Mac too!
  14. Re: Java, iPhone and Leopard[ Go to top ]

It is clear that Java is not a priority at all. Jobs doesn't like Java. He doesn't see Java's value added for the Mac OS X.

In a sense he might be right. The Java community doesn't add any substantial value to the Mac platform. Of course developers buys a few computers but that's probably not a substantial amount.
    There's a LOT of Java developers that would like to use Macs has their development machine. We're talking about techies, after all, and Macs are VERY nice. And once you have lots more developers using OS X, there's going to be more applications developed that target that OS X. It's difficult to understand why Apple does not see the value in targeting Java developers given that its operating system has only 5% market share.
  15. Re: Java, iPhone and Leopard[ Go to top ]

It's difficult to understand why Apple does not see the value in targeting Java developers given that its operating system has only 5% market share.
    No it isn't. Why would they encourage developers to create programs that can be run as-is on competitive platforms while offer poor integration with their stylish OS? Portability is a clear disadvantage from Apple's perspective. They want developers to use their APIs.
  16. Re: Java, iPhone and Leopard[ Go to top ]

PJ you make it sound like every single developer on the planet requires Java 6 to be running on their development box. How many of these developers are working for large corporations that have (or planning) on migrating applications to Java 6 runtimes. I am still seeing many companies planning or rolling out Java 5 runtimes. There is still a large number of applications running on 1.4 runtimes. This is evident in the large number of products and frameworks (Spring included) still supporting 1.4 deployments. Yes the growing adoption of EJB3 and JPA will force many to push forward in their runtime migration plans but I am not sure companies will use this opportunity to skip 1.5 and instead deploy 1.6 runtimes. I develop mainly on the Mac and the lack of Java 6 production ready Java runtime is not impacting me whatsoever. Anyone building a commercial software product is not going to limit their deployment options to Java 6. regards, William
  17. Apple's silence on the topic of Java really does suck. But couple that with Steve Jobs comments about Java on the iPhone (he said no one want's Java because it's too big and slow), one has to wonder is Java will continue to evolve on the Mac? There's nothing to say that Leopard may still still come with just Java 5, or worse no Java at all. Some information on the subject sure would be nice! Ryan- http://damnhandy.com
  18. Bah. The only thing I see about Java in the new leopard web site is this: http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/technology/64bit.html Where they say: "You can even use 64-bit Java on capable Intel processors." They also mention that Java has been extended to work with DTrace: http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/technology/unix.html However, their silence on the Java front makes me want to abandon the platform. I don't care what the apple zealots say. The mac is starting to suck for Java development. Accept the reality folks.