Woo-Hoo! New NYSE Ticker: SUNW Becomes JAVA

Discussions

News: Woo-Hoo! New NYSE Ticker: SUNW Becomes JAVA

1. Woo-Hoo! New NYSE Ticker: SUNW Becomes JAVA (17 messages)

Barron's reports that Sun Microsystems' stock ticker symbol will go from SUNW to JAVA.
    It’s no longer a venerable microcomputer company, folks, Sun Microsystems (SUNW) becomes a Java company next Monday as it changes its ticker symbol on the New York Stock Exchange to J-A-V-A, to remind people of the Internet software technology the company branded 12 years ago, per the company’s press release this afternoon. No word yet on whether analysts are changing any ratings or revising any estimates based on this, but the stock, still trading under the old symbol for the moment, did bounce a little just now and is up half a percent or so at $4.89."
    In the press release, Sun chief executive Jonathan Schwartz describes the rationale:
    The Java brand and technology have evolved to be among the most pervasive on the internet, yielding extraordinary awareness for Sun and opportunity for the community that leverages it […] More than a billion people across the globe, representing nearly every demographic, market and industry, rely upon Java’s security, innovation and value to connect them with opportunity. That awareness positions Sun, and now our investor base, for the future.
    For those of us less interested in that half a percent increase (woo, now a whopping $4.89), what's the impact of the change? Is anyone disappointed that they didn't go for JEE instead? (Imagine the lawyer's response to that - since they weep when people don't refer to "Java EE.") Message was edited by: joeo@enigmastation.com
  2. Congratulations! (if it's true)
  3. I don't understand how they will get everyone to write the little tm on buy and sell orders. BTW, it's a NASDAQ ticker. geir
  4. Is anyone disappointed that they didn't go for JEE instead?
    JAVA covers JEE isn't it? :)
  5. Now we will how much JAVA is worth :)
  6. Now we will how much JAVA is worth :)
    Actually it would be how much people "think" or "feel" (perceive) it is worth. As Jim Kramer says - Wall Street is not the same as Main Street.
  7. Now we will how much JAVA is worth :)

Actually it would be how much people "think" or "feel" (perceive) it is worth. As Jim Kramer says - Wall Street is not the same as Main Street.
    When is it anything other than perceived worth? Is there another standard?
  8. Now we will how much JAVA is worth :)

When is it anything other than perceived worth?
    Is there another standard?
    What it is really worth. :) Ok, i guess I meant assets and ability to make money versus "I am scared so I am gonna sell my stock for less".
  9. Beginning of the End[ Go to top ]

Ruby on Rails, .NET, and now a stock ticker for Java. This surely is the end of Java's prowess. ;-)
  10. Stop Dreaming[ Go to top ]

In case you do not like Java, then don't use it but please do not create FUD about Java. Rahul
  11. Re: Beginning of the End[ Go to top ]

Ruby on Rails, .NET, and now a stock ticker for Java. This surely is the end of Java's prowess. ;-)
    Java includes Ruby.
  12. Re: Beginning of the End[ Go to top ]

I dont think this is a good move. Agreed SUN as a company will get some brand advantage out of milking the JAVA brand, but they really need to shine the SUN part of it. Java is a community effort, which in my opinion is the single major reason behind its phenomenal success. SUN needs to jump start its other businesses (which is beginning to happen) and continue its efforts to make SUN a reputable and respectable and competitive player. STOP MILKING JAVA!!!
  13. MS will buy SUN soon and close source Java.[ Go to top ]

I dont think this is a good move. Agreed SUN as a company will get some brand advantage out of milking the JAVA brand, but they really need to shine the SUN part of it. Java is a community effort, which in my opinion is the single major reason behind its phenomenal success. SUN needs to jump start its other businesses (which is beginning to happen) and continue its efforts to make SUN a reputable and respectable and competitive player.
    STOP MILKING JAVA!!!
    I agree. SUN brand is a well know and take many years to build their reputation and they just drop it just like that. May be they are trying to get way from being a hardware vendor image to totally open source software vendor. If Sun (or now JAVA) decides to Ebay their previous name then they can get a lot of $$$$ in return.
  14. Looks like someone eventually got his "Marketing 101" course... Congratulations ;-)
  15. The marketing folks at Sun have made history with their wacky naming strategies and version numbers. SunOS vs Solaris, Java2 == Java 1.2 ..etc.
  16. Would suck to see JAVA plummet !!!
  17. Now if Microsoft changed it's Stockmarket symbol to .Net, we could let Java and .Net battle it out in real life. Hopefully it would put an end to the (repetitive) 'my language is better than yours' debate. Paul , Technology and People Blog
  18. Sacha had some interesting stuff to say on this.