Discussions

News: IntelliJ IDEA 7.0 Released

1. IntelliJ IDEA 7.0 Released (57 messages)

Jetbrains has announced the release of IntelliJ IDEA 7.0, their commercial IDE for the Java platform. It has improved support for Java EE, Spring, Groovy, Javascript, CSS, GWT, Ruby... along with the normal bug fixes and performance improvements. From the press release:
    Being traditionally focused at developers’ productivity, IntelliJ IDEA continues adding numerous productivity-boosting features and enhancements to make everyday development a real pleasure:
    • Many new refactorings, including a long list of refactorings for XML
    • Around 50 new code inspections and quick-fixes
    • Better TeamCity integration, with a dedicated tool window for reviewing inspections and duplicates reports right from the IDE, etc.
    IDEA is a commercial IDE, but has a 30-day trial period for anyone who'd like to give it a try. Purchasers of IDEA 6 who purchased after August 13, 2007 are eligible to upgrade for free. Jetbrains also offers licenses to qualified open source projects; see http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/buy/index.html for more detail. [Editor's note: as people have noticed, the new release isn't quite yet up on the IDEA site. Give them just a bit.] [Editor's other note: it's up now on the IntelliJ site.]

Threaded Messages (57)

2. Not on their site (yet?)[ Go to top ]

From the looks of JetBrains' web site, they may have been scooped on their own release.
  3. End of IDEA for me...[ Go to top ]

I'm looking at the landscape of tools, and I have to admit I probably won't be upgrading to 7 at this point. I purchased a personal license 4 months ago, and now I have to purchase and upgrade again? I'd soon just have an annual license, and in this case, it would be considerable less for me as an individual. While the IDEA product is amazing and runs rings around Eclipse, RAD, and other tools, I just don't find it fair that those of us who purchase a version a few months ago are having to pay again. Good luck though guys, and congradulations on the new release!
  4. Re: End of IDEA for me...[ Go to top ]

Hold your horses. How do you buy a license and not know about free upgrade for user like you?
  5. Sorry, I think you meant you'd bought it before Aug/13th. Strange, typically they had a more tolerant timeframe. Well, A.Tkachman left JetBrains, maybe we see changes coming in already ;)
  6. Free upgrade offer[ Go to top ]

I don't quite understand what you're getting at, but the free upgrade offer for IntelliJ IDEA 6.0 was also about two months long (July 27-October 2, 2006 for 6.0, August 13-October 15, 2007 for 7.0).
  7. Re: End of IDEA for me...[ Go to top ]

And thus the usual upgrade whine begins... It happens, guys. There simply has to be a but off and they've been working on 7 for longer than 4 months. In no other industry, but software do people expect unlimited, free upgrades. Somebody bought a car and the following week, there was a markdown that cost that person several thousand dollars. Home prices have dropped costing people hundreds of thousands. Life is not a series of do-overs.
  8. Re: End of IDEA for me...[ Go to top ]

And thus the usual upgrade whine begins... It happens, guys. There simply has to be a but off and they've been working on 7 for longer than 4 months.

In no other industry, but software do people expect unlimited, free upgrades. Somebody bought a car and the following week, there was a markdown that cost that person several thousand dollars.

Home prices have dropped costing people hundreds of thousands.

Life is not a series of do-overs.
    +1 It sounds silly and I doubt that any serious developer would leave IDEA for a worst alternative over an upgrade price, seriously, most spend more in coffee shops in a week.
  9. NetBeans of course[ Go to top ]

It sounds silly and I doubt that any serious developer would leave IDEA for a worst alternative over an upgrade price, seriously, most spend more in coffee shops in a week.
    Well that depends... purchase IDEA again a few months later, or get most of what IDEA does, plus UML, plus JPA, plus SWING data binding in NetBeans 6 for free. It wasn't an easy decision, but I'm not dropping $150 more 4 months later for an upgrade. It's total BS. Who gives 2 months for an upgrade option anyway? My other software packages are 12 months.
  10. Re: NetBeans of course[ Go to top ]

It wasn't an easy decision, but I'm not dropping $150 more 4 months later for an upgrade. It's total BS. Who gives 2 months for an upgrade option anyway? My other software packages are 12 months.
    Oh my, think of what you've just said... If you are a real craftsman, you'd probably want to have the best tools the money can buy, wouldn't you - if you are using them everyday to make a living. $150.00. You are talking about just one hour of your work time, perhaps, an hour and a half, depending on your rate/salary... You can't spare that much (the cost of one-two hours of your time) once a year for the best development tool? I find it strange. Unless you do programming on the side, and you don't really care...
  11. History[ Go to top ]

I find it strange. Unless you do programming on the side, and you don't really care...
    I think you and the Intellij group is missing the point. There are very viable options available for no cost. None. And I'm not saying I think IDEA should be less. Snap-On automotive tools were the best in the business, and now, they and Craftsman tools have lost a massive amount of market to tools that were almost as good, better support, and cheaper. What I'm saying is those of us who were loyal for years, who sold the idea to corporate management, and who purchase our own copy when our new corp wouldn't, we in that group are getting screwed if we purcahsed it outside the 2 month window. That's a great way to piss off your loyal customers. So is not offering any more trials on the new version of IDEA 7.
  12. Re: History[ Go to top ]

I find it strange. Unless you do programming on the side, and you don't really care...

I think you and the Intellij group is missing the point. There are very viable options available for no cost. None. And I'm not saying I think IDEA should be less. Snap-On automotive tools were the best in the business, and now, they and Craftsman tools have lost a massive amount of market to tools that were almost as good, better support, and cheaper.

What I'm saying is those of us who were loyal for years, who sold the idea to corporate management, and who purchase our own copy when our new corp wouldn't, we in that group are getting screwed if we purcahsed it outside the 2 month window.

That's a great way to piss off your loyal customers. So is not offering any more trials on the new version of IDEA 7.
    There's an original problem. Someone who purchased Idea outside the upgrade window who feels cheated. As many have observed every year when Idea puts out a new version, someone will *always* be unhappy. I think that Intellij, having done this, successfully, for so many years understand fully your complaints and decided they'll take their chances on losing some business. They have to release new versions with a reasonable upgrade cost and a fair policy toward recent purchases. Unfortunately, no matter where they make the cutoff, a "Leif" will be waiting in the wings to gripe about being cheated. Twas ever thus...See you for version 8.
  13. Re: History[ Go to top ]

Speaking of history, there was a time when you could only get the personal license around Christmas time (2004 and 2005 is as far back as I can remember for this offer) otherwise you still had to buy a full commercial license which was what had always put me off about getting IDEA for years. Up until the time I purchased 5.0, I had used NetBeans primarily and Eclipse when I had been forced to. I've had a love/hate relationship with NetBeans that goes back years and years. Don't even get me started on Eclipse. I downloaded the 30 day trial of 5.0 in Aug 2005 after they had just released it. Within weeks, I knew I had to have it money be damned and I ponied up $499 for a commercial license despite it being a personal purchase to be used at my company (i.e. the personal license). I bought 5.0 in Sep 2005. They offered the personal license on special three months later. When they released 5.1 in Feb 2006 (less than 6 months after I bought 5.0), they decided to offer personal licenses year round. Did I get any of that money back despite being within three months of the special? Nope. It wouldn't have been all that special of a special offer now would it? ;-) Did I make an informed and conscious decision? Yes. Do I regret not waiting until the special offer at Christmas 2005 or until they went full time with the personal license in Feb 2006? Nope. Would I do it again? You bet. I was more than willing to pay $499 the first time and I was more than prepared to pay $249 for future upgrades. They converted my license to a personal license when I upgraded to 6.0 since I could have just bought a personal license for 6.0 for what it would have cost me to upgrade the 5.0 commercial license I had. Of course, it wouldn't have happened if I hadn't qualified for the personal license (which thankfully I do) but I still would have been willing to pay the $249. (I hope they didn't just read that. LOL.) IDEA doesn't appeal to everyone and I can understand. That's fine with me because I'm not here to convince anyone. It works for me and that's really all that matters to me.
  14. Value of IntelliJ IDEA[ Go to top ]

Let me quote part of a recent conversation in one of the IDEA forums on the Jetbrains site:
    if i were god, i'd force everyone to pay exactly the amount of money he thinks idea is worth.
    Sadly, I doubt I would be able to afford it then.
    I think that pretty much sums it up. Regards, Jens P.S.: Oh, and yes, congratulations to the Jetbrains folks! Version seven really does contain some great new features and enhancements.
  15. No trials?[ Go to top ]

Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean by "not offering any more trials". You can evaluate IntelliJ IDEA 7 for 30 days, for free, regardless of whether you've ever used an evaluation of an older version. The only thing that changed recently is that you no longer need to give JetBrains your e-mail address in order to receive an evaluation key. Just download and run.
  16. Re: History[ Go to top ]

I think you and the Intellij group is missing the point. There are very viable options available for no cost. None. And I'm not saying I think IDEA should be less. Snap-On automotive tool
    No, I think you're missing the point. There are no IDEA equivalents. NB is not even close in context aware smart editing and eclipse just sucks in every way possible. It was a great concept, but whether it's the issue with eclipse itself or the tooling that's available, which is good, but not as great as IDEA. So if there were actually viable options, people wouldn't be paying, evidently people are paying and coming back because they find something is lacking with other IDEs. Ilya
  17. Re: History[ Go to top ]

I think you and the Intellij group is missing the point. There are very viable options available for no cost. None. And I'm not saying I think IDEA should be less. Snap-On automotive tool

No, I think you're missing the point. There are no IDEA equivalents. NB is not even close in context aware smart editing and eclipse just sucks in every way possible. It was a great concept, but whether it's the issue with eclipse itself or the tooling that's available, which is good, but not as great as IDEA. So if there were actually viable options, people wouldn't be paying, evidently people are paying and coming back because they find something is lacking with other IDEs.

Ilya
    Eclipse isn't set up well. No where have I ever heard or read of anyone citing interface or functionality as their primary reason for selecting it. It is always "because it is free." I used it recently in conjunction with a plugin called GWT Designer. I used Eclipse like I used Toad, as a one trick pony. I just didn't care for the interface and I've used Borland C++, Visual Studio, Borland JBuilder, Oracle JDeveloper, and Vi(I think that's all of them). Depending on how you moved through them, in my case Borland C++->Visual C++->Symantech->JBuilder->JDeveloper->Idea. All the others seemed like steps forward(except for VS, which was more feature laden at the time than pretty much any java ide). I've tried Eclipse several times, but it just doesn't seem like a step forward. As trite as it sounds, Idea didn't seem to force you to work its way, with the exception of its new debugger window layout. I've seen several people attempt to get Eclipse working on a directory structure that had no issues with Idea and had nothing but problems. However, my current position uses Eclipse, and I use Idea and I got it running very quickly. With the EAP yet. It is simply worth the money.
  18. Re: NetBeans of course[ Go to top ]

It sounds silly and I doubt that any serious developer would leave IDEA for a worst alternative over an upgrade price, seriously, most spend more in coffee shops in a week.

Well that depends... purchase IDEA again a few months later, or get most of what IDEA does, plus UML, plus JPA, plus SWING data binding in NetBeans 6 for free.

It wasn't an easy decision, but I'm not dropping $150 more 4 months later for an upgrade. It's total BS. Who gives 2 months for an upgrade option anyway? My other software packages are 12 months.
    And? I have software that doesn't do this. In fact, most software *doesn't* do this. As I said, no matter what they do some will complain. Intellij knows this. Version 6 is a good tool, so I say don't upgrade. Personally, I'm upgrading to 7.
  19. Re: NetBeans of course[ Go to top ]

Well that depends... purchase IDEA again a few months later, or get most of what IDEA does, plus UML, plus JPA, plus SWING data binding in NetBeans 6 for free.

If this was only true, NB has nothing in the field of smart editing, smart context aware completions, and the vast amounts of refactorings that IDEA has. People don't buy IDEA for nothing, trust me, they have an edge on their free competition. I keep trying to like netbeans, really do. I'd use it before I use eclipse, but IntelliJ is too far ahead. Ilya
  20. Somewhat true[ Go to top ]

If this was only true, NB has nothing in the field of smart editing, smart context aware completions, and the vast amounts of refactorings that IDEA has. People don't buy IDEA for nothing, trust me, they have an edge on their free competition. I keep trying to like netbeans, really do. I'd use it before I use eclipse, but IntelliJ is too far ahead.

Ilya
    This is kinda true. NB editing is ok, completitions work for 80%, and I only use about 50% of the refactorings all the time. So why am I paying for the extras? Again, I bought 6 as a personal license. I'm not going to upgrade and pay again every time they get a wild hair and pump a release out. As for NetBeans, it works quite well, but once your spoiled on some of the secondary features, like getter/setter generation, then yea, it's hard to give up. But it's not too hard to write my own plugin for it either. :) It's sad to see such a wonderful product go this path. I know people don't buy it for nothing, but I have personally seen very large apps build using IBM RAD. So I know other IDEs work, painful as they may be.
  21. Re: Somewhat true[ Go to top ]

I know people don't buy it for nothing, but I have personally seen very large apps build using IBM RAD. So I know other IDEs work, painful as they may be.
    I've seen very large apps build with vi as well, but that doesn't mean that it makes it enjoyable. Yes, people get used to it after a while and might even become efficient with the inefficient tools. There are people to this day that would not touch and IDE and swear by emacs and vi. They are definitely good for text editing, but not application design and development.
  22. Re: End of IDEA for me...[ Go to top ]

And thus the usual upgrade whine begins... It happens, guys. There simply has to be a but off and they've been working on 7 for longer than 4 months.

In no other industry, but software do people expect unlimited, free upgrades. Somebody bought a car and the following week, there was a markdown that cost that person several thousand dollars.

I've often wondered about s/w license upgrades. In particular, it would be interesting to see a sliding discount model applied. For instance, if X was released today, the company would offer 100% off the upgrade for people who bought today, going down linearly to 0% off the upgrade (ie. 100% upgrade cost) to people who bought 2 months ago. And linear in between -- someone who bought 1 month ago gets 50% off.
    Andrew
  23. Re: End of IDEA for me...[ Go to top ]

I've often wondered about s/w license upgrades. In particular, it would be interesting to see a sliding discount model applied.

For instance, if X was released today, the company would offer 100% off the upgrade for people who bought today, going down linearly to 0% off the upgrade (ie. 100% upgrade cost) to people who bought 2 months ago. And linear in between -- someone who bought 1 month ago gets 50% off.

Andrew
    The problem is, I think, is that you can never satisfy everyone. I've had a personal license for some time, but I would't turn down a free upgrade. That guy who missed out will be upset that he "just missed it by a week." Software will always be that way. It just isn't physical enough. I guess people need to be able to hold a thing.
  24. Re: End of IDEA for me...[ Go to top ]

I've often wondered about s/w license upgrades. In particular, it would be interesting to see a sliding discount model applied.

For instance, if X was released today, the company would offer 100% off the upgrade for people who bought today, going down linearly to 0% off the upgrade (ie. 100% upgrade cost) to people who bought 2 months ago. And linear in between -- someone who bought 1 month ago gets 50% off.

Andrew

The problem is, I think, is that you can never satisfy everyone. I've had a personal license for some time, but I would't turn down a free upgrade. That guy who missed out will be upset that he "just missed it by a week."

Software will always be that way. It just isn't physical enough. I guess people need to be able to hold a thing.
    I've seen people complain that they didn't get a free upgrade to software costing a lot less (sub-$100 segment) and comes on CD/DVD several years after they purchased the original (and that software offered no upgrade fees for anyone, so there's no cutoff period to whine about being too short). I've even seen complaints about not getting a free upgrade to a version several iterations newer than the last one purchased. Of course a lot of those "complaints" degenerated into arguments about why pirating the new version would be OK. Usually it comes down to "it should have been free so I'm doing nothing wrong, I'm just taking what should have been given to me anyway".
  25. Re: End of IDEA for me...[ Go to top ]

Given that IntelliJ releases updates pretty much yearly, I wonder why they don't just introduce a subscription model? It is a good way to put all these arguments about upgrading to rest anyway.
  26. Yep[ Go to top ]

Given that IntelliJ releases updates pretty much yearly, I wonder why they don't just introduce a subscription model?

It is a good way to put all these arguments about upgrading to rest anyway.
    That's what I said. It makes more sense, pay as you go... don't have this "I barely missed the cutoff" for upgrades. They make an exceptional product at a low cost, but nickle and diming just pisses people off. Also software today isn't what it was in the past, and there are free options that are totally viable... not Eclipse though :)
  27. Learn to read[ Go to top ]

In no other industry, but software do people expect unlimited, free upgrades...
    Uhm... learn to read? I personally don't car how long it's been in dev, but I surely don't expect to pay for yet another license 4 months later. Why not just charge and annual license?
  28. Re: Learn to read[ Go to top ]

In no other industry, but software do people expect unlimited, free upgrades...

Uhm... learn to read? I personally don't car how long it's been in dev, but I surely don't expect to pay for yet another license 4 months later. Why not just charge and annual license?
    I can read and your your whine is *still* old, Mr. "and annual license."
  29. lol[ Go to top ]

I can read and your your whine is *still* old, Mr. "and annual license."
    Your your? Anyway, no, you didn't read what I wrote, and worse, you responded with gibberish that had nothing to do with my comments. You know, this discussion reminds me of the comments I made to IBM about OS/2 back in the day. Maybe IDEA is heading that way?
  30. IntelliJ IDEA 7.0 has not been released just yet. It will be up on the Web site later today (in a few hours).
  31. Try this one: http://download.jetbrains.com/idea/idea-7.0.exe
  32. Or maybe not :) http://download.jetbrains.com/idea/idea-7.0.exe http://download.jetbrains.com/idea/idea-7.0.dmg fooling around a bit with the url's always seems to work for me
  33. Always?[ Go to top ]

You won't find the 8.0 version now, no matter how much you fiddle. :)
  34. ...now it's really up[ Go to top ]

Now the web site has been updated too.
  35. Features of IDEA 7.0[ Go to top ]

The 'article' doesn't mention the new features in detail.. Since I've been using the milestone builds for some time, here's a list of personal favorites: * Background inspections are multithreaded. Very welcome performance speedup on a Core2 Quad processor :) * A very nice "Fix All ..." QuickFix, to fix problems 'en masse'.. Good Spring support: * Nice Spring xml editor (with refactorings and inspections) * Completion/refactoring for AspectJ Pointcut language * Spring AOP support: navigation to advised methods, navigation to active aspects * Spring JavaConfig support (although I prefer xml) * Awareness of Spring ORM APIs: completion/refactoring for HQL/JPAQL queries in Java code (works for regular Hibernate/JPA APIs as well of course) * Support for custom namespaces Other: * TestNG runner (similar to existing JUnit4 runner) * Maven2 support: can import or open project descriptor directly Those are some of the highlights for me. I assume they'll actually update the article above with some actual content...?
  36. I've been a loyal (and happy) IDEA user for years, but I have the feeling that the IDE loses a bit of its quality every year. We have paid for version 7 some two years ago (when we bought version 5 with upgrades for two versions granted), so we are entitled to use it, but I'm not very happy with it. Some things have a pretty good feature set (Spring integration, to mention one), but often corner cases pop up that cause non blocking but bothering problems (notably red lines indicating non existing errors): this is the case for Spring integration, for Ant integration (which has been severely limited and bugged for years), for application server integration (weblogic 10 support does not work), for a lot of small things here and there. Some of the features are unpolished and unconsistent and seem to be present just to be mentioned on a feature list (GWT support is one of them: it really offers only half of what it should, in that a good number of manual things that could be automated are not, navigation works unconsistently). This is frustrating, as one can see that more effort is placed on features that do not really interest existing users, such as Eclipse Import and export...
  37. Re: IntelliJ IDEA 7.0 Released[ Go to top ]

I've been a loyal (and happy) IDEA user for years, but I have the feeling that the IDE loses a bit of its quality every year.
    I wonder why they don't test everything properly.
  38. Re: IntelliJ IDEA 7.0 Released[ Go to top ]

I've been a loyal (and happy) IDEA user for years, but I have the feeling that the IDE loses a bit of its quality every year....
    One rant I have is 'how long is it going to take to get decent app server integration? and decent documentation? And why not add options to the project/module creation wizards for integrating with an app server? I've been trying to use the JBoss plugin with IDEA for 3 years now and it's still a pain in the rear (I usually just give up after wasting half a day). On the flip side, the maven2 integration is great. Having the IDE automatically add jars to the project that are declared as dependencies in project poms is an example of the kind of feature that makes using IDEA such a joy. eom
  39. Re: IntelliJ IDEA 7.0 Released[ Go to top ]

I remember that earlier releases of IDEA also had features that were not working. Broken EJB support (due to incompatible DDs) for WL was one of them. But apart from that IDEA is quite good.
  40. Re: IntelliJ IDEA 7.0 Released[ Go to top ]

I've been a loyal (and happy) IDEA user for years, but I have the feeling that the IDE loses a bit of its quality every year....

One rant I have is 'how long is it going to take to get decent app server integration? and decent documentation? And why not add options to the project/module creation wizards for integrating with an app server? I've been trying to use the JBoss plugin with IDEA for 3 years now and it's still a pain in the rear (I usually just give up after wasting half a day).
    Strange. The little I've played with the JBoss integration it seemed to work quite well (JBoss 4 with IDEA 6.0.5). Remote debugging of IDEA 6 against JBoss 3 works well also (haven't tried the integration there, our deployment mechanism doesn't suit itself to such things). But it's admittedly hard to keep up with everything. If you as an IDE maker don't have integration for everything someone's bound to flame you, so you include some integration (however unpolished) for as many things as you can. That's a direct consequence of the market where featurelists are more important (at least to those making purchase decisions in corporations) as the actual usefulness of those features.
  41. Re: IntelliJ IDEA 7.0 Released[ Go to top ]

unconsistently).

This is frustrating, as one can see that more effort is placed on features that do not really interest existing users, such as Eclipse Import and export...
    I've got to counter with the Eclipse features. The fact is many, many people use Eclipse. I've just changed jobs of 5 interviews, 4 were using Eclipse. I would submit that easy integration with Eclipse is a must for someone trying to use it in an Eclipse environment, like I have to.
  42. Imagine IDEA open sourced[ Go to top ]

I wonder if JetBrains would consider open sourcing the IDEA IDE (probably with an Apache or BSD like license) and then Eclipse will just have to run for cover... I wonder if this will happen before IDEA dies... because, come to think of it, you cannot compete with the open source products where 100's of developers are working and reviewing the code (unless you have a super duper lead like Microsoft Windows).
  43. Re: Imagine IDEA open sourced[ Go to top ]

I wonder if JetBrains would consider open sourcing the IDEA IDE (probably with an Apache or BSD like license) and then Eclipse will just have to run for cover... I wonder if this will happen before IDEA dies... because, come to think of it, you cannot compete with the open source products where 100's of developers are working and reviewing the code (unless you have a super duper lead like Microsoft Windows).
    They compete just fine (else they wouldn't be in business). The IDE is mature enough too that I am doubtful that adding many more human minds (a.k.a. a committee) to the evolution of the IDE is going to improve it in some radical way. So conversely, I don't think an tool that takes 100's of developers to work on is necessarily a good, competitive tool. The main short-term benefit to a developer of IDEA being open sourced is that he/she can get the IDE for free. I like the IDEA business model, I also like the plugin contest (running now). If you think have a killer idea for a plugin, you're free to stay up all night for the next several weeks working on it - who knows maybe you'll place and make a few $$$. What you really meant to say is "I wish I could have a free copy of IDEA." I hope IntelliJ is able to sell the IDE for many years to come - good for them, and good for several software developers trying to make a living.
  44. I really like the new Hibernate/JPA Entity Diagram support. However, I can't figure out how (or if it's even possible) to export the entity diagram as an image file (useful for documentation / project design, discussion, etc.). Is it possible to save the diagram as an image (GIF, PNG, JPEG, etc.)? If so, how? If not, aw...common! :-S Thanks
  45. I really like the new Hibernate/JPA Entity Diagram support. However, I can't figure out how (or if it's even possible) to export the entity diagram as an image file (useful for documentation / project design, discussion, etc.). Is it possible to save the diagram as an image (GIF, PNG, JPEG, etc.)? If so, how? If not, aw...common! :-S

Thanks
    I sometimes find myself hitting Ctrl-Alt-PrintScreen and pasting the diagram into some bitmap image editor... Of course, that does not work well when the image runs off theviewing area. Well, that's a minor inconvenience that, I am sure, can be easily fixed.
  46. I sometimes find myself hitting Ctrl-Alt-PrintScreen and pasting the diagram into some bitmap image editor... Of course, that does not work well when the image runs off theviewing area. Well, that's a minor inconvenience that, I am sure, can be easily fixed.
    Only the simplest of persistence models (persistence 101) will fit completely within 1 screen at a time so this approach won't work.
  47. I sometimes find myself hitting Ctrl-Alt-PrintScreen and pasting the diagram into some bitmap image editor... Of course, that does not work well when the image runs off theviewing area. Well, that's a minor inconvenience that, I am sure, can be easily fixed.

Only the simplest of persistence models (persistence 101) will fit completely within 1 screen at a time so this approach won't work.
    I agree. Although I am not so crazy about Hibernate/ORM these days, anyway. Specifically, for _complex_ persistence models. Hibernate works great when it's easy to map your object model to your data model. For most complex real-life systems you: 1) Design a good domain object model that allows you to efficiently implement the application logic; 2) design your database for maximum efficiency... which means it is very unlikely that your data will nicely map to your objects. Too many people mis-use Hibernate these days and end up in a quagmire. Spring's JdbcTemplate works great for lots of things and often makes things so much simpler than the same stuff implemented with Hibernate. Ooops, sorry, this has nothing to do with IntelliJ. :)))
  48. IDEA encourages good programming[ Go to top ]

Speaking about what makes IntelliJ the best IDE ever... To me, it is the fact that it really stands in the way of poor, sloppy programming. It constantly guides and educates you, it makes you conscious of the quality of the code you write - every step of the way. If you are using IntelliJ and still write ugly code, nothing will help you! I've always felt that most Eclipse users should be selling pizzas, not building software... Just kidding, just kidding... ;)
  49. A great release[ Go to top ]

Firstly, a big congrats to the JetBrains team for getting version 7 out. As far as I'm concerned, the best IDEA release since version 4.x. The performance seems to have returned after an apparent bloat following version 4.x. The early access releases where the most stable I've used, and I've used many EA builds of IDEA over the years. One of the best features for me has been the eclipse project support, as it is allowing me to use IDEA in a team that is predominantly Eclipse based. Just need to convince management to purchase some licences now... although I'll probably end up getting myself a personal one if they don't stump up. Which leads me on to the rants about upgrade costs. If you want a free IDE use Eclipse, if you want the best Java IDE available, then you gotta pay. It's not even that expensive at under £250 with the current exchange rate, and that's the commercial licence, the personal one is half that. Peace. Gareth
  50. Re: A great release[ Go to top ]

The early access releases where the most stable I've used, and I've used many EA builds of IDEA over the years.

Peace.

Gareth
    +1. This was the first time I actually have been using the EAP releases on a daily basis - for my real project. Before, I used to find EAP releases too unstable for any serious work. I used to think it was just some looney kids-hackers who spend their whole days and nights in the JetBrains forums playing with stuff who could tolerate the IDE blow up every few minutes... This time around, theh EAP releases were consistently stable. The only annoying things I ran across were some older plug-ins throwing exceptions or reporting the usage of deprecate methods. All that seems to be working fine in the final release. Great job, JetBrains!
  51. Congratulation to JetBrains for this released. As usual, a good product, interesting features and so on... Hope this company/product will never be bought by a "Big One" (I?M, Or?cl?,...)!
  52. What a Sham[ Go to top ]

Having been a user of IntelliJ since version 3, recently promised the Ruby plugin and done the right thing by paying for it immediately, I'm frankly disgusted that the plugin isn't yet available. Here's a lesson JetBrains: Wait a week and release the two together or don't outright lie and tell the world that it's a feature until it actually is. What complete waste of money! What a complete con job. Talk about false advertising.
  53. Re: What a Sham[ Go to top ]

The page advertising Ruby support in version 7 cleanly says: "JRuby is currently available as fully functional Beta and is scheduled for release within coming weeks. You can get it from http://plugins.intellij.net/plugin/?id=1293 or via IntelliJ IDEA Plug-in Manager." http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/features/newfeatures.html#Ruby
  54. Re: What a Sham[ Go to top ]

I hate to be picky but it says JRuby support is in beta not Ruby support in general. I'm a Ruby developer not specifically a JRuby developer. I read that to mean if you wanted to use JRuby (as opposed to MRI) you'd have to wait. Otherwise the functionality was there. What's more it didn't actually appear in the plugin manager until this morning (19th). Again, wait a week before touting brand new features that aren't actually finished. Or at least be more explicit.
  55. An unfortunate typo[ Go to top ]

Simon, We deeply apologize, and I have to thank you for pointing this out. "JRuby" in the Beta note is an unfortunate typo that has been already fixed. I must admit that such an error may easily appear as a shameful boasting, but fortunately it's nothing more than a silly mistake. We at JetBrains were (and actually are) always proud of our marketing policy according to which we never claim anything that is not true. And this is also one of the reasons why people trust us. I hope you keep developing with pleasure! - Ann Oreshnikova, JetBrains
  56. Re: An unfortunate typo[ Go to top ]

I hope you keep developing with pleasure!

- Ann Oreshnikova, JetBrains
    Any chance Jetbrains will add support for export of Hibernate/JPA entity models as image files (GIF,PNG,JPEG, etc.)? Any chance for being able to print these things? Otherwise, although the diagram generation is nice, it's not very valuable in its current form. Thanks, Brad Smith (Licensed IntelliJ IDEA 7.0 user ;-))
  57. Re: An unfortunate typo[ Go to top ]

Apology accepted. Silly mistakes are made all the time and I unreservedly withdraw my criticism. Regards, Simon
  58. I would not but I would however pay for Idea. Good thing for Eclipse that it is free.