Java Ajax Framework ZK 3.0 released: faster, more components

Discussions

News: Java Ajax Framework ZK 3.0 released: faster, more components

1. The ZK team proudly presents ZK 3.0. This version boosts the performance up to five times and adds more than 100 new features including: * Server Push allows you to update clients' information actively in a simple and intuitive way. * Layout components simplifies the UI design job such that designing an "Outlook" email reader is just a snap. * SimpleListModelSharere broadcasts data to multiple clients transparently. * TreeModel is introduced which simplifies the job of Tree rendering. * The versatile flash components plays youtube clips and mp3 music. * Plugable EL evaluator and ZK already supports EL, MVEL, and OGNL. * Native namespace integrates rich ZK components with legacy HTML pages with sped-up performance. * New annotation expression is easy-to-use and easy-to-read. * Use your own theme and change theme dynamically. * ZK JSP tags library brings rich components to legacy JSP pages the JSP way. * Integrates JSF and Ext-JS seamlessly. There are more. For details, please read the article New Features of ZK 3.0 Go check it out and download at http://www.zkoss.org/download.

Threaded Messages (17)

2. I do not understand[ Go to top ]

In the first I read this, I think that this is the one more framework to create JEE Web application, and my chance to select framework to implement JEE project is getting harder. Then, I looked at the project web site and simple starter example. It explains the usage of the compnent and new scripting (zscript) etc...iow, new concepts, new tutorials, new documentations.. It seems the creating the components opponents to from the scratch hmtl easily, I thought that why I learn and use this framework? Is it give me a any great promise? no.. And in the code,bussiness logic and UI is both in the sinlg file. Is that the reason of creating JSP is to seperate business and ui logic seperately? Why lots of framework today are reinventing the heel, like showing ear in different direction.... I do not blame this project,.... just my comments...
  3. I do not understand[ Go to top ]

In the first I read this, I think that this is the one more framework to create JEE Web application, and my chance to select framework to implement JEE project is getting harder. Then, I looked at the project web site and simple starter example. It explains the usage of the compnent and new scripting (zscript) etc...iow, new concepts, new tutorials, new documentations.. It seems the creating the components opponents to from the scratch hmtl easily, I thought that why I learn and use this framework? Is it give me a any great promise? no.. And in the code,bussiness logic and UI is both in the sinlg file. Is that the reason of creating JSP is to seperate business and ui logic seperately? Why lots of framework today are reinventing the heel, like showing ear in different direction.... I do not blame this project,.... just my comments...
  4. Re: I do not understand[ Go to top ]

Zk is very nice to develop web GUIs very quickly, ok, but I think many people is tired of seeing tons of custom tag based Java web frameworks, the problem is how to fit the generated HTML/JavaScript code with your requirements, usually you lost almost absolutely the control of your job. This is because I've developed an alternative to many intrusive, black boxed, custom tag based web frameworks, ItsNat using an extremely decoupled of view (pure HTML) and logic (pure W3C Java DOM) around a component and AJAX based framework, where the framework simulates a "universal Java W3C browser" in the server. I think it starts a new paradigm of web development. Try the online demo too with documented example with source code viewable online.
  5. Re: I do not understand[ Go to top ]

intrusive, black boxed, custom tag based web frameworks, ItsNat using an extremely decoupled of view (pure HTML) and logic (pure W3C Java DOM) around a component and AJAX based framework, where the framework simulates a "universal Java W3C browser" in the server. I think it starts a new paradigm of web development.
    Indeed. I'm almost certain that this is the next revolution in web development, and you become the next Fidel Castro. Of a more serious note, you need to work on your elevator speach; for example WTF is a W3C *Java* DOM, and what actual benefits does this framework offer compared to others? Pure HTML has been used in the view layer since the dawn .. /Henkka Karapuu
  6. ItsNat[ Go to top ]

One of the reasons we wanted to separate view from model and business was to make it easy for web designers to work on view. Now most of the frameworks contain so much custom tags that give heart attack to web designers (I mean those who design html and graphics etc and do not know enough programming) It is always a question for me. Are we loosing the target. We separate business from view but both of them become more more complicated. Then what is the benefit. Regarding ItsNat, I like it's pure html thing very much but when you look at servlets, you can hardly manage such a code in a big project. The complexity has been removed from Html but now we have a very messy servlet code. If we could have a pure html view and a clean code (like struts java code) and very little xml then it would be the ideal. Mac
  7. Re: ItsNat[ Go to top ]

Regarding ItsNat, I like it's pure html thing very much but when you look at servlets, you can hardly manage such a code in a big project. The complexity has been removed from Html but now we have a very messy servlet code.
    Why? the static parts are in HTML, in fact the dynamic parts can be designed as HTML too and managed in the Java side most of the time with tag agnostic instructions as Node.cloneNode, Node.appendChild etc using HTML pieces as patterns and Java code following "structural patterns". When the view-logic is in Java you can do tons of reusing, user defined logic and components reused again and again with inheritance, polymorphism and encapsulation.
  8. I've been using ZK, off and on, for about 2 years. Its, in my opinion, one of the most overlooked frameworks. Its mature and it has alot of components. Its easy to develop in (because all of the development is in Java), and its under active development. In fact, its so active, that I find myself having a hard time keeping up with the changes/improvements and would rather see solid documentation for all the latest features before they add more. One potential downside is that its GPL. But I can definetly recommend it to anyone who hasn't had a look at it yet. Mike
  9. There is a $99-per-developer edition and royalty free. It is quite a bargain for me. Only one feature I missed is the JFreeChart engine. It seems a way to promote other editions, but, at the first glance, it won't take me more than a day to implement one:)
  10. I did technical review on a book on ZK for Apress (http://apress.com/book/view/1590599012). I had honestly never heard of ZK before that experience. I found ZK to be a very interesting framework... it's pretty easy to use from what I saw, and it's (generally) pretty logical. There's a decent set of components out of the box, some I recall being pretty impressive (although which specifically is not being coaxed out of the recesses of my brain). I did have some concerns on the apparent mixing of UI code and BL/domain code, but then I have that complaint about a lot of technologies out there today (and I'm not sure I have a better answer frankly). My team at work has been doing a ton of client-heacy AJAX-based coding over the past two years, lots of hand-coded Javascript (using libraries as well as writing their own code, depending on the circumstances). This has ultimately resulted in a good outcome that is highly flexible and extensible, and I'm not sure ZK would have swayed me to go with it had I known about it sooner. But, it certainly would have gotten serious consideration though, and I think that's as much of an endorsement as any Java framework can get these days :) It's not perfet, but it's definitely worth a look, and probably should get a little more attention than it seems to.
  11. With ZK, the *capability* is there for mixing logic and UI code. The same can be said for any other web framework. This capability should exist - it can be useful in some situations (prototyping, etc.). However, ZK does not require or even encourage using extensive zscripting. The demos takes this scripting approach because they're demos. ZK offers integration support for other frameworks - for example, Spring is easy to wire up. Mike
  12. In the performance tips of the dev's guide, it actually suggested not to use zscript (and event threads) at all for systems with heavy load. At the surface, ZK is easy to get started and simple to develop. At the heart, it is extensible enough to customize for different purpose of uses. In our cms, we even load UI pages from the database. Samia
  13. Book[ Go to top ]

I did technical review on a book on ZK for Apress (http://apress.com/book/view/1590599012). I had honestly never heard of ZK before that experience.
    Never seen this framework before, the first impression is very good - it's quite compact, require no JavaScript, support many browsers. One point I have so far - cannot find any PDF documentation, only HTML with a lot of small files, which is difficult to print and read offline. This seems like a good way to promote book - just have purchased it :-) --- Maxim Kramarenko http://www.trackstudio.com - Java issue tracker.
  14. Re: Book[ Go to top ]

The original openoffice file is available at the SVN repository. Check it out, convert to PDF, or print it. Fabrice
  15. Performance under linux[ Go to top ]

I wonder whether the client performance under Linux has improved in any way. I was evaluating zk2 and everything was fine under windoze. But the examples (even when running locally) felt way to sluggish when run under Linux (Firefox to be exact). Has anything changed in that matter with the introduction of ZK3?
  16. Re: Performance under linux[ Go to top ]

If you are talking about modal dialogs, then, yes, it has been solved. As pointed out by Frederic from Sun, ZK 2 wrongly used a semi-transparent bitmap as the background. which X-window doesn't render fast.
  17. Anyone who used this framework , can you please tell me how is the cross-browser compatibility of this framework ? Does it work with all browsers ???
  18. The document said IE6, IE7, FF1.5, FF, Safari, Opera, Camelo, Opera Mini... I don't have the experience with Camelo and Opera Mini but all others work for me except some minor problems with safari, such as no Ctrl+click. Fabrice