HP Bluestone To support Struts in Total-e-Server 7.3

Discussions

News: HP Bluestone To support Struts in Total-e-Server 7.3

1. HP Bluestone will be supporting the Struts Open Source framework in Total-e-Server 7.3 which will be released later this month. Struts is a framework for building web applications with Servlets and JSP's using the MVC architecture. It's great to see a J2EE vendor standardizing on an existing Open Source presentation framework, rather than locking in developers with proprietary frameworks.

E-mail we received from HP Bluestone
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Bluestone, is pleased to announce early support for the Struts initiative. Struts is an open source initiative - sponsored by the Apache Software Foundation - focused on creating an application framework for developing Web applications. Struts complements the J2EE architecture by providing a framework for a clean separation of data, presentation, and application logic. The Struts framework also provides standard Web application functionality such as internationalization, request dispatching, automatic form population, and tag libraries for accelerating GUI development.

HP Bluestone's Total-e-Server 7.3, due to be released later this month, offers support for Struts as well as a Struts Trail Map tutorial, which guides developers through the Struts application development framework. For more information on Struts, please visit the following links:

Struts Downloadable Trail Map

Struts white paper on HP Bluestone website

Struts project home page

HP Bluestone home page
  2. I dunno. The problem with a vendor packaging open source stuff with the server is that if anything in the vendor stack relies on it then you become reliant on the vendor to deliver new versions of the framework as a service pack.

Witness the xalan fiasco in WebSphere land which has now been resolved but we had the situation where WAS 3.5 used a very old version of the xalan jars and basically locked the WAS developers in to using that and only that version or else you were on your own and ran the risk of breaking the container. I believe WebLogic people are/were similarly afflicted.

Its good to see this use of the open source software but at the rate that the open source stuff develops, locking a version in to the delivery cycle of an appserver can be problematic. Fore warned is fore armed.

WAS 4.0 fixes this completely by loading the version WAS needs using a seperate class loader to the one for user code. This then lets you use any version of xalan you want for the user code. Other vendors should follow suit if they are not already. Anytime a vendor uses a piece of popular, fast developing software then they have got to take this approach or risk the wraith of their customers.
  3. The Apache group is running the Struts project so I don't think that they will lock their releases to App server vendor's release. I think Bluestone will just package what ever the latest stable version of Struts is with some extra docs to make it easy for new developers to pick it up.
  4. I didn't mean that the struts group would lock to the J2EE vendor, they as you say will carry on developing at their pace. The problem is that if, and it is an if, the J2EE vendor thinks they have to support it then they will only support a single release at most with each fix pack if you see what I mean. If you want to use a more recent non HP supplied version of struts then you may have a problem.

If they are just bundling the jars in a contrib type deal then there is no problem as there is no support and it isn't really integrated. They may give release notes saying how to make it work. Nothing wrong with this.

This wasn't what happened when the app server vendors started saying they supported XML. They bundled and integrated a specific version of say xalan/xerces and you were basically forced to use it even when Apache etc released new versions (which they did at a furious pace).
  5. Thanks for clarifying your point. I think that the best solution that a vendor can do, is to make vendor-supported distributions every quarter of something like that. I will try and check with Bluestone and see what their plans are.
  6. I've been using Struts for some months now and the main problems are due to the vendors did not the implement the specifications correctly or completely. It happened for every vendors. My point is it is more important for the vendors to implement the specifications fully and correctly, rather than claiming that Struts or other frameworks is supported.
  7. Did anyone work with Struts on Total-e-Server 7.3 before?
    I have some problems running Struts (which I
    downloaded from apache website) on Total-e-Server.

I found that the Form Tag Library Descriptor (TLD)
    document provided by Bluestone is different from the
    one that I downloaded from apache website. Even the
    size of the struts.jar is different.

hope somebody can give some advice...