At the recent event held in Las Vegas by The Server Side, numerous discussions were undertaken around the whole Java ecosystem, among these were those related to Java performance and scripting languages. InfoWorld published an article related to this last subject, entitled: 'Java performance improvements touted', it contains numerous quotes from the event's attendees, one of which is the following:
Scripting languages are ideal for smaller programs but Java is the choice for larger programs, he said. "As your program grows in size, the lack of strong typing basically kills your ability to handle a very large program and so you don't find the million-line Perl program," he said. One-million-line Java programs are plentiful, Click said. Strong typing refers to the capability of knowing the type of memory objects.
However, one blogger writes that this line of thinking is mistaking cons for pros:
I’ve met Cliff, and he’s very smart, but I have to disagree on two points. First, no one who’s used anything with a better static type system than Java consider’s Java type system “strong”. (If you can still get a NullPointerException from a generic-enhanced collection, Java has a ways to go.) Second, the reason that there aren’t many million-line Perl programs is that the people who are capable of writing and managing million-line Perl programs have better ways to organize their projects than glomming a million lines of Java into a single shared-everything instance. That’s setting aside the qualities of encapsulation and abstraction that Java-the-language doesn’t have, preferring instead to push that problem to tool vendors and AbstractFactoryFactoryInjectors which consume vast swaths of XML to get around Java’s static code fetish. I can only imagine how much larger the Java code would be without all of those XML files.
Read InfoWorld's complete article: http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/03/26/java-speed_1.html Read Chromatic's post on mistaking Cons for Pros: http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2008/03/mistaking_cons_for_pros.html