Discussions

XML & Web services: Web Service, complex data and final user rendering...

1. Hi all ! I have to face a technical problem that I hava no idea to solve ! So any idea on a solution is welcome :-) Here is the problem : I have to developp a Web Service API to access very complex datas (detailled informations about companies). Some users just want to access parts of these datas, for analysis purpose (i.e. compute some financial indicators for example). No problem for theses users, the web service response is the good way for them to retrieve their datas and do whatever they want with them ! Now other users want to display all the informations they got from the Web Service to the user. This is a really complex process to implement, because each informations set has many datas and many rules that must be managed during the rendering process. So the question : what do you think is the best solution to deliver a "viewable" product through my web service for these clients ? Laurent
  2. Can you implement diffrent APIs for different clients?
  3. Yes it is possible ! But the main question I have is how can I provide a "displayable" response with a WS API
  4. Do you have any technology constraints on user interfaces? In case users will access WS wia browser, an XSLT frontend might fit your needs for WS result rendering to HTML. Or, if you consider writing client application, there would be more options.
  5. XSLT can be a solution for some services, but not for all of them ! The XML response is really too complex in some cases, and the result of some requests can not be displayed on a single web page.
  6. If I understood correctly, you want to make queries on a web service and display some info to the user in a readable way. Since you have many possible entities, each one with many possible attributes, how about using queries in SPML via web service. It's a standard for provisioning services, and you would need to simple define your entities, their attributes and implement only the searchRequest/Response service. On the client side, you can cache the results and build your interface with them SPML - Service Provisioning Markup Language has its specification here: http://www.oasis-open.org/specs/ ex: suppose you define an entity called 'company'. It is defined by its 'name' attribute and you want to know only its 'clients', its 'departments', and its 'address'... you could put these in a searchRequest Document and you would receive a searchResponse document for that company. Later, if you want to know more about the people in a department, and you have defined an entity 'employee', you could query them through another searchRequest and use the previous data already stored to create a nice and navigable user interface showing the information ;) Carlos