Weblets 1.1 released

Discussions

News: Weblets 1.1 released

1. Weblets 1.1 released (2 messages)

Weblets a framework neutral resource bundling and resource serving library has been released in its 1.1 version. New features include 1. General API for programming your own Weblets 2. General reporting API for in server reporting instances 3. Configurable cache timeouts for better browser cache control 4. Expanded web application hosted weblets 5. Improved mime type handling, mime overrides and many more... Follow this link for a more detailed list of new features. For more information refer to the Weblet Project Site The direct link to the documentation and to the new features can be found here for a detailed introduction and here for a short introduction.

Threaded Messages (2)

2. Congratulations[ Go to top ]

Great job Werner. Thanks for your effort for this good tool.
  3. Re: Congratulations[ Go to top ]

Thanks Alex. I already have started to work on Weblets 1.2 which will integrate subbundles and javascript compression. Expect a release in half a year! Anyway for those interested but who do not want to dig through the documentation. Weblets is a resource bundeling and resource loading system very similar to what JSF 2.0 will provide. The main advantage of Weblets however is, while it was born in the JSF space (Thanks John Fallows and Jonas Jacobi for doing such an excellent work), it nowadays is framework neutral and pretty much can be used by any framework building upon servlet technology or at least which allows access to it. The advantages you get over using plain resource loading are more than a handful An indirection api for neutral resource naming, so that you can move resources without having to change your own sourcecode! Indirection APIs are provided for: JSP, Java/Servlets, EL Facelets JSF 1.x Javascript CSS So you should be able to use it from any framework there is Very low on configuration, you can basically get the basic configuration done with a handful lines of xml! In some cases no change to the Web.xml is required in others only a small addition is needed! Once set up adding additional resource bundles just is drag and drop! You get a very well working browser cache control which is configurable (pretty much the same way JSF2 plans to do it) You also get a full backend api for using Weblets in your own component libraries! You get enhanced security by being able to sandbox resources and to allow whitelists of certain resource types per bundle! You can alter mimetypes on a per bundle base! You have a handful of implementations allowing to serve resources from various datasources. one for serving resources from jars or the classpath another one which acts as a proxy into a remote server and the last one for serving resources out of your local web application This is just a short summary on the most important features, also heavy emphasis has been put into an extensive documentation. Because documentation is the most important thing in my eyes! Although I could need a helping hand there. I am neither a native speaker nor an author, so this part is in need for proofreading. Have much fun with the framework, it is under a very liberal license, Apache 2, that is, so go ahead and use it. I am happy to help out on the mailing list. Werner