SOA and the Mainframe: Two Worlds Collide and Integrate

Discussions

News: SOA and the Mainframe: Two Worlds Collide and Integrate

1. Many SOA projects include getting application components or data off legacy mainframe systems. There are a number of ways such systems can be integrated into a SOA. Tom Laszewski looks at the possibilities for working with mainframe systems and how legacy components can be integrated into a SOA. Read article

Threaded Messages (10)

2. Link appears dead...
  3. Nice Job[ Go to top ]

There are numerous other options than Oracle products, including the open source XAware product, but the architectural concepts are the same. I have also used Attunity Connect for AS/400 integration. It exposes the RPG procedures as metadata for XML integration/invocation. Initially used it with Biztalk (yuck), but it has expanded to JCA and JEE. Scott Nieman
  4. Which Link?[ Go to top ]

Perhaps can send new one...
  5. Nice article but[ Go to top ]

The article is a nice attempt. But the ambiguity on what SOA is, still exists. This way the title itself is not correct... because two entities of different types are compared! I can compare a Toyota Camry against VW Passat and replace one entirely with the other. In the case of mainframe vs SOA such a relationship does not exist. They are not two worlds! Doubts still remain on what kind of world SOA is! I am amused to see references to products like IDMS, ADSO, ADABAS/NATURAL besides DB2/CICS etc...all of which still exist at many sites running hig volume OLTP transactions in spite of doomsday predictions of the same we saw in the 90s. A front-end, Web based with or without Java, can be given to all of these today, without involving the buzzword SOA. SQL is not a panacea. SQL is facing problems in the Java World as confirmed by the emergence of products like Hibernate. Application servers are also under scrutiny... we hear conflicting comments in the press on all these new approaches. I would like to re-iterate my comments on SOA that it is just a buzzword and nothing else.
  6. Didn't mean to imply these are two different worlds. That is why I used the words 'and' and not 'VS.'. SOA is really nothing new as we all know. It is a new spin on an old concepts such as RPC, COM, DCOM, DCE, CORBA and other distributed communication/transaction standards. ..."in spite of doomsday predictions of the same we saw in the 90s." Note: This article is not attempting to say these are going away anytime soon. In fact, service enabling the mainframe extends of the life of the mainframe even longer. To clarify my usage of the world 'SOA' (which did receive many comments that are fully correct in correcting me) and the doubts you have about SOA, I have since removed my usage of SOA modernization and changed my thinking on how these types of mainframe service enablement categories are discussed. This hopefully is more accurate: I understand how I am over selling SOA Modernization. Should be Service Orientated Modernization (SOM). I have also be overloading integration. I have been using it to mean web enablement, data integration, application integration and process integration. Based upon this new information, my terminology would be: 1. Service Orientated Interface (or presentation) Modernization 2. Service Orientated Process Modernization 3. Service Orientated Application Modernization 4. Service Orientated Data Modernization All this with a goal of a Service Orientated Architecture (SOA) which, when a mainframe is involved, will take years, since, as the SOA Vs. SOI article points out involves re-architecture.
  7. Verify misleading[ Go to top ]

SOA and Mainframe integration? 1. SOA is a way of doing integration. Making mainframe part of you SOA is not "SOA and Mainframe integration" 2. Doing integration at UI level is very popular, and usually it is called web2.0 mashup/messup. A service can be consumed by UI mashup. But mashup is not SOA 3. Doing integration in data layer or using stored procedure? That's fine for a MainFrame developer, but please don't say it has something to do with SOA. Doing SOA is to move away from this type of integration.
  8. To clarify: 1. SOA is a way of doing integration. Making mainframe part of you SOA is not "SOA and Mainframe integration" Note: I would agree completely and hope other posting on Service Orientated Modernization clears up my overloading of the term SOA. 2. Doing integration at UI level is very popular, and usually it is called web2.0 mashup/messup. A service can be consumed by UI mashup. But mashup is not SOA Note: Agree. The fact the underlying mainframe artifact is a web service that exposing a mainframe screen makes this service orientated interface enablement. Remember, I am taking a mainframe centric view here. 3. Doing integration in data layer or using stored procedure? That's fine for a MainFrame developer, but please don't say it has something to do with SOA. Doing SOA is to move away from this type of integration. Note: Once again, from a mainframe centric view, exposing data through a web service (an actual WSDL is generated on mainframe) on the mainframe makes this is SOA (well actually service orientated enablement). The fact that this mainframe web service can then become part of an SOA architecture by being consumed in BPEL, ESB and other 'service type' technologies makes the entire process service orientated.
  9. Nice Oracle advertising - TSS becomes more and more a place to put commercials in...
  10. Oracle Advertising?[ Go to top ]

Since I know Oracle the best, the article is focused on Oracle products. I believe to show an actual implementation helps people to understand. That being said, the concepts in the article and use cases could easily map to any major vendors products stack!
  11. soa and mainframe[ Go to top ]

soa and main frame two worlds  collide and integrate, have news that it have

Adopting new JVM Languages;

Actors in Groovy with GParallelizer; TheServerSide Now Using CAPTCHA

.this is the outstanding news and it also helps mainframe application modernization to help improve and to do progress day by day.