Discussions

News: Proxying Eclipse Update Sites with Nexus Pro

1. Proxying Eclipse Update Sites with Nexus Pro (7 messages)

This demonstration video shows the viewer how to use Nexus Professional to group four Eclipse plugin update sites in to a single URL that can then be used in Eclipse. Grouping Eclipse Update Sites cuts down on the repetitive process of entering in a set of plugin update site URLs into the Eclipse IDE and going through the motions of installing a large set of plugins. It allows a single person in an organization to collect all of the plugins and plugin dependencies that you use into a single URL. If you work somewhere that relies on a set of five or six Eclipse plugins, it takes a new developer (or a developer with a new machine) a substantial amount of time to set up a complete development environment. Features like the one demonstrated in this video help to cut down on the amount of time spent on the "Developer Onboarding" process.
  2. Interesting, but why using a commercial tool for such a simple task?
  3. Interesting, but why using a commercial tool for such a simple task?
    Perhaps because proper configuration management isn't a simple task? In those cases where you prescribe a given set of uniform and supported (approved) eclipse plug-ins intended for use within an organization, actually you end up with your own eclipse distribution. I find interesting this service, reminds me Yoxos. Of course there are other ways to build your own Eclipse distro, like using EPP or Custom Eclipse Builder @ SourceForge. Javier
  4. In homogeneous environments, nothing is simpler than just checking eclipse, plugins and all, into subversion.
  5. Using a SCM to manage Eclipse does not sound like a great idea to me. Updates to the ide become cumbersome and the management of common settings (e.g. preferences) is hardly possible. Both is much easier with specialized tools, and if you don't need privacy this is free of charge with Yoxos Ondemand. Syndicating update sites / p2 repositories can also be quite problematic. We are creating the packaged Eclipse downloads for eclipse.org this way, and minor inconsistencies between version numbers in different repositories often lead to failures in creating the packages. Why are we doing it this way? Because we are integrating milestone builds and the amount of change is very high. If you don't need to be as current with new versions it makes much more sense to create an internal (consistent) repository for your team. Most companies we know are doing this, with different levels of automation. Using the right tools can obviously help. BTW, with Eclipse 3.5 moving to p2 repositories home grown solutions for update sites will have to get adapted to the new core technology. Jochen Krause EclipseSource http://eclipsesource.com/ondemand/
  6. Jochen, Nexus is not an SCM. Nexus is a binary artifact repository manager and we use P2 under the covers for managing the P2 metadata. We know first hand how sensitive P2 can be to changes in metadata, but we hope to continue the dialog with Pascal and help make P2 systems more robust. Jason.
  7. Jochen,

Nexus is not an SCM. Nexus is a binary artifact repository manager and we use P2 under the covers for managing the P2 metadata.
    Jason, I believe Jochen was referring to Subversion as a repository for Eclipse artifacts, not Nexus. I clearly see Nexus as an excellent tool for Configuration Management as it is understood in ITIL, BS 6488, ESA PSS-05-09, etc. Nexus (or almost any other solution, since every other vendor would plug their product here) could form a node within a federated CMDB (Configuration Management DataBase) and provide services not available in products like Tivoli et al. at least for Java shops. Javier
  8. Why would you not use a free service like Pulse to accomplish the same task? It's drag-and-drop adding of software to Eclipse profiles, it handles cross-OS installation and is fully supported.

The update site dilemma is a problem for certain, but getting new developers up and running on their Eclipse stacks with Pulse can be a literal button-click (all the way down to workspace preferences and settings) for teams at only $6/month/user.

This release of Nexus Pro is likely a nice value-add for their existing customers. But, I would be hard pressed as a development manager to purchase this license, based on this feature solely, at high cost when there are free (or almost-free for team sync features) alternatives available that scale well for enterprise use. But nonetheless, it's good to see new tools emerge that help enterprises address Eclipse plugin concerns.

Best,
    Jens
    Genuitec