Do more with functional Testing - Part 2

Discussions

News: Do more with functional Testing - Part 2

1. Do more with functional Testing - Part 2 (6 messages)

Functional Testing offers a great way to verify functionality of your software and - when automated - helps identify regressions on a build-to-build basis. When running different tests from different physical or virtual environments against a central testing application its hard to correlate the application side log files to the originating test and test log files. This article explains an easy way to correlate testing logs with your application logs.Read the full story at...
  2. I'm not that familiar with the DynaTrace Tool being used as an example but isn't it more for performance (stress/load/diagnostics) testing rather than functional (regression) testing?
  3. Hi dynaTrace is not a testing tool. Its a performance management solution - meaning - you can analyse performance releated issues in applications. Most of the performance problem are found in load-testing or (sad but true) in production. Our experience shows us that most of those problems that are found very late in the development cycle are problems that could have been prevented much earlier. These are problems like extensive database access, too much remoting activity, wasteful memory usage, ... - if you use your existing unti or functional tests and use a solution like dynatrace to analyze the dynamics of your code execution you can identify those problems already early on - saving your self a lot of trouble when your app hits production. For more information I recommend to check out the dynaTrace website: http://www.dynatrace.com It gives a good overview of the different use case scenarios in the different development lifecycle stages Cheers
  4. Then doesn't that mean that DynaTrace is a performance TESTING tool then? You just leverage on test results to be able to identify performance problems and do appropriate corrections accordingly. In that sense, isn't that the same use for any type of testing tool, more particularly performance testing tools? - to give one a way of analyzing application performance. Just my two cents ...
  5. Hi Anthony From my perspective - a testing tool is actively testing an application. Whether it is a functional test that drives a browser by clicking through your pages to verify the functionality of your individual features - or a load-test that simulates a larger number of virtual users accessing the web page at the same time. These are testing tools. dynaTrace is a Performance Management Solution that sits within the Application and captures the execution of every single transaction that is executed by a testing tool. So - whenever a testing tool identifies a problem - dynaTrace is there to capture what was going on in the application code itself. This allows you to see why certain pages are slow or why certain requests responded with an error because dynaTrace captured this information for those requests that had a problem as part of what we call the PurePath. dynaTrace is complementary to any testing tool by extending the analysis capabilities of the test results. If you end up with a large load-test that tells you that your application is slow under a certain load you dont really know why that is. Yes - you may get additional information like CPU, Memory and Network utilization. But that doesnt bring you to the root cause of the problem. Having dynaTrace you can see where the time is spent and why you have a performance problem by analyzing the individual flow of every executed transaction down to the method level. for more information on dynaTrace and its PurePath technology I encourage you to check out the website http://www.dynatrace.com and the specific page that explains the purepath: http://www.dynatrace.com/en/PurePath-transaction-tracing.aspx Hope that helps
  6. Thanks Andreas. Well in that sense then you're correct in calling it a performance management solution. I guess you're first threasd to explane it was not enough to put that message across. So DynaTrace is like a performance diagnostic tool then, designed to work more effectively for post-mortem analysis, for it to be able to gather run-time data and allow it to pinpoint bottlenecks as points of improvement. Thanks again.
  7. Good that I could explain it better in my 2nd attempt. So - you are correct - dynaTrace is a performance diagnostics solution that works very effectively in analyzing individual transactions under heavy load in a 24x7 production environment or load-testing environment. It can also be used - as explained in my blog - to analyze functional test transactions where the focus of performance analysis is more on architectural issues as compared to performance issues. With the captured data - in either of the lifecycle phases (development, testing, production) - you can analyze where your performance bottlenecks are. dynaTrace comes with a dashboard technology that allows each individual to analyze the data based on his/her own need. A guy in operations might just be interested in overall transacdtion response times, cpu times, memory, ... The architect that then takes this data wants to look deeper into the individual transactions by analyzing the executed SQL statments, RMI calls, transfered bytes for web service calls, ... The tester is interested in high level performance analysis like which components are contributing to the overal performance, where are potential bottlenecks and how is the performance compared to previous builds/versions of the application (performance regression analysis). For more detailed information I recommend to download some of our whitepapers that talk about Application Performance Management and how the dynaTrace Solution works: http://www.dynatrace.com/en/whitepapers_articles.aspx Let me know if you want to know more Cheers Andi