Discussions

General J2EE: JavaSpaces technology could be the answer!

1. JavaSpaces technology could be the answer! (4 messages)

Fellow developers,

I’ve been working with EJB technology for past year and a half, and its been a tough ride.

Most of my problems have centered around persistence. Entity beans are not the answer, many people have tried to come up with weird and wonderful design patterns, but this only adds complexity! To sum things up:

In my opinion the time to market, cost and the quality of a distributed EJB system is severely hit by the combination of the following factors:

· Convergence of technology mismatch. i.e. SQL v OO
    · Many complex design issues i.e:
    · Persistence - Entity beans v Value classes
    · Proprietary OR Mapping tools.
    · EJB architectures tend to be driven by the database, forming rigid class structures. (Metadata)
    · EJB 2.0 is even more complex i.e. EJB QL.
    · Vendors have proprietary EJB implementations.

There is far too much complexity and services are suffering. I’ve done a lot of research on this topic and in my opinion JavaSpaces technology could well be the answer.

http://www.javasoft.com/products/javaspaces/index.html

I’ve managed to integrate spaces with EJBs - it is brilliant! The property of a space combined with EJBs is awesome. I think everyone should look at the marriage of two technologies. There are some companies that are implementing industrial strength JavaSpaces (www.intamission.com, sun have their own implementation).

Has anyone been looking at JavaSpaces? I’d be very interested to hear everyone’s responses on this subject.

JCheema
  2. I got the impression that JavaSpace is more academic-oriented..Is there any real,commerical product yet?
    I only know IBM's TSpace long time back...
  3. There's only really the Sun Reference implementation. It's not bad at all though.

I think they went down two different routes at the same time. JMS is a different solution to much the same problem and they started at about the same time.

JavaSpaces is built on JINI and if you get a commercial implementation of JNI then adding JavaSpaces means implementing about 3 classes. It performs reasonably, but not great. I have heard of companies who are building things on top of JavaSpaces but the take up is not quick.

Shame really.

Chz

Tony
  4. I've been talking to a company called Intamission and they have implemented an industry standard JavaSpace called IntaSpaces. More importantly their implementation does not rely on Jini, it can also use RMI.

Over the past few weeks I've managed to build some really simple but super effective apps using EJBs and JavaSpaces.
    If anyones interested drop me an email:
    jugdeeep dot singh at uk1 dot demon dot co dot uk

Juggy
  5. Juggy,
      Why don't you write your idea here, so everybody can
    see and may discuss?
      Thx