Discussions

Web tier: servlets, JSP, Web frameworks: i am new to je22. want to build a web app. how should i start?

1. hi I am a Sun Certified Java Programmer. I have a passion for java. now I want to learn further. I want to build a java web application. my project will be a School automation system. the application will contain following features: 1)student record 2)Employee record 3)Library management 4)Result processing 5)Management reporting tool etc. I admit that i am a novice to j2ee, I don't have any project experience & i don't know how to start with at all. what are the steps that should be followed to build the project? what technologies should i learn & in which sequence? which IDE to use? we've a group but don't know how to distribute tasks :( could anyone please help me out?? i need help desperately.
  2. hi, I hope you have good knowledge of html. Then its better to start from simple JSP and Servlet web application with Tomcat web container. Develop your understand first in these two technology b/c these are the basics of J2EE. Then next step should be use JDBC with JSP/servlet for database related operations. In my opinion you should use Eclipse IDE for development. Because it is rich, easy to use and have ability to integrate third party plug-ins. And its FREE !! As your project nature concern, i will also recommend to use some framework, which help you to maintain your project consistency. Like Struts for MVC and Hibernate for database manipulation.
  3. thanks a lot brother. since i had already started studying jsp & servlet, when i come to minimum understanding about them, what should i do next? should i start designing the database? again, how much do i have to know about jsp servlet so that i can move further? could u plz share with ur experience?
  4. IMHO[ Go to top ]

Html is the LAST thing to do in a j2ee project. You should start to study a common j2ee 3 layer app: how to create a POJO Domain Model and map it to a database using Hibernate with annotations. Then i strongly suggest to you to study JPA and J2EE common useful pattern like DAO and ServiceLocator. Take an application server like JBoss, and start to deploy some EJB3 in it :-) then if you want develop on presentation layer i suggest to you to get involved into GWT. My 0.02
  5. Faisal, I couldn't agree with you more. Having a solid foundation of HTML will make it much easier to pick up JSP and Servlets. And you can't go wrong with Eclipse, I've had very few problems and I've been using it for years.
  6. Johnstoppable its all depend on you skills how quickly you learn. When yourself feel confidence then your can move forward. As i already suggested, develop your knowledge on JDBC after that. Then you should explore some framework which help you more like Struts/Spring and hibernate.
  7. What I found helpful was to first know the basics of how HTML messages are sent. Know the difference between POST and GET, know how to use HTML forms efficiently. Next, take a look at JEE objects (Servlet, ServletFilter, Session), be familiar with XML, JDBC, and FileStreams (you use these to send your HTML to the browser). JSP can get kind of messy if you aren't already familiar with html/script coding, like PHP. You may want to stick strictly to servlets at first, then move onto jsp. Basically the difference is that JSP pages are servlets with HTML written in them. In a Servlet you feed HTML in string variables or files. Start with the basics, then build yourself up. I recommend Eclipse for your IDE, UNIX/LINUX OS (if available), and Apache Tomcat for the web server.
  8. clarification[ Go to top ]

I am sure you meant j2ee not je22. :)
  9. I agree that heavy weight J2EE is not necessarily where you want to start. As a n00b, a gentle slope is what is called for. Three open source products that could ease your path include: 1. JBoss SEAM (seamframework.org) - a lightweight framework for building Ajax apps in Java 2. Spring (www.springsource.org/roo) - Spring's lightweight framework for building Java apps faster 3. WaveMaker (www.wavemaker.com) - a visual tool for building Spring apps (think PowerBuilder for Java developers) [Note: I work here so my opinions are unreliable ;-)] Start with training wheels, then when you have built a couple of projects and feel like the training wheels are hurting more then helping, take the plunge into J2EE.