An Introduction Article: Spring Persistence with Hibernate

Discussions

News: An Introduction Article: Spring Persistence with Hibernate

1. Hibernate and Spring are open-source Java frameworks that simplify developing Java/JEE applications from simple, stand-alone applications running on a single JVM, to complex enterprise applications running on full-blown application servers. Hibernate and Spring allow developers to produce scalable, reliable, and effective code. Both frameworks support declarative configuration and work with a POJO (Plain Old Java Object) programming model (discussed later in this article), minimizing the dependence of application code on the frameworks, and making development more productive and portable.See More

Threaded Messages (27)

2. Late[ Go to top ]

Hi, Why should I buy a book for these introductory information? Is it because I can't google? Or because I have no Internet connection? Above all, there are zillions of book already covering this same subject very well. For the openly democratic part of the world, I think your book is at least 5 years late. Maybe for Iran this may not be the case. Jan
  3. Re: Late[ Go to top ]

Jan, FYI, in Iran we have and we use the very last technologies around. The only thing I am sorry about is that how come such a naive ideas such as Object Relation Mapping which totally lacks theoretical foundations becomes so much accepted everyday is usage. Maybe that is because we are using Java which is language for server-side development, for developing fancy websites rather that using more suitable tools such as PHP, Ruby and even Python. Amin
  4. Stupid ORM[ Go to top ]

...The only thing I am sorry about is that how come such a naive ideas such as Object Relation Mapping which totally lacks theoretical foundations becomes so much accepted everyday is usage.

Maybe that is because we are using Java which is language for server-side development, for developing fancy websites rather that using more suitable tools such as PHP, Ruby and even Python.
    I agree - what a silly idea ORM is, we should be using Ruby. How does active record work again?
  5. Spring and Hibernate[ Go to top ]

After using Spring and Hibernate for sometime now, i've decided i'm happier using Hibernate on it's own. Had too many headaches with Spring and Hibernate integration.
  6. Re: Late[ Go to top ]

Hi, Spring and Hibernate are fast-growing frameworks; they are still hot topics in the Java community. Besides, while there are many books with the subject of Spring or Hibernate, individually, this is a unique book with the subject of "Spring with Hibernate". And honestly, Iran IT society works on the edge of technology! Ahmad
  7. mostly outdated?[ Go to top ]

I think hibernate keeps on changing fast and becomes more agile. Some new book should have - 1. comparison with other frameworks, 2. new improvements/modificatiosn, 3. coding style/performance improvements, 4. detailed list of persistence patterns and whatever
  8. Re: mostly outdated?[ Go to top ]

Hi, Have you read the book? I'm appreciated it and happy with any of your comments or suggestions. Ahmad
  9. Re: mostly outdated?[ Go to top ]

people can write many books, there is absolutely nothing wrong about it.. but these books sometimes get one star rating. eg : http://www.amazon.com/J2EE-Web-Services-BEA-WebLogic/dp/0131430726
  10. Re: mostly outdated?[ Go to top ]

the author of book that I mentioned previously is IIT graduate (topmost institute in India), yet they write books without doing justification to the subject. Hence the comparison. thank you,
  11. Re: mostly outdated?[ Go to top ]

I didn't understand how that book is related to mine!? My book exactly elaborates on Hibernate, Spring, integration issues, problems, patterns, and more. What's wrong with my book?
  12. Re: mostly outdated?[ Go to top ]

What is new to this book that is not there in hibernate reference manual which is free? the book table of contents look all the same. Normally - A person writing a book, might have written many articles online before, or its a total new thing.. This book is mostly very late- because technology get obsolete fast(old features in hibernate becomes new bugs and old bugs become new features). In computer science field, its perfectly OK to write so many books, as reader normally relies on google and more open articles, and not the books.. thanks & regards,
  13. Re: mostly outdated?[ Go to top ]

I absolutely disagree. Java introduced to the world many years ago, but you can find many books on Java that recently have been released. These new books elaborate on new features of Java as well as old ones. This fact is true with my books. I believe writing a book depends on the author experiences before anything else! Best, Ahmad
  14. Just wondering shouldn't the correct title be Hibernate persistence with Spring.
  15. Just wondering shouldn't the correct title be Hibernate persistence with Spring.
    I agree with you. In Arabic, they write from Right to Left, unlike the Latin languages where we write from Left to Right. Coming from an arabic country, I can understand why the author got it wrong. He may have come about the title by thinking backwards like they write backwards in arabic:-) It is sad though since the book has already been released and he and the publisher have made a fool of themselves. Jan
  16. I am not sure what you are getting at but you do seem to have some kind of bias against the author's origin and country. Please try to keep your comments constructive and free from racial prejudices otherwise they would be end up being ignored by others even if you have something valuable to say.
  17. Site admin agrees...reaffirming: Posts can NOT contain racial or sexual slurs
  18. Hi, Seems like you don't have humor. What I wrote about the author was not racially motivated or whatever you would call it. One of my good friends is an Iranian and we tease each other once in a while. I even learned the Joke about reading and thinking backwards from him. Don't be always serious- life is short so be humorous sometimes and have fun because all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Jan
  19. Just to make it clear, Hibernate is used only and only for persistence! so an alternative title would be "Hibernate with Spring". But as I wanted to emphasize the book is going to discuss the persistence aspect of Spring, I had to use "Spring Persistence" in the title of the book. After all, I had two options: "Hibernate with Spring Persistence" and "Spring persistence with Hibernate", be honest and let me know which title you prefer!
  20. To be honest, I'll go for Hibernate persistence with Spring. But if I'm not forced to make a choice between the two then I'll personally go for "Implementing Hibernate Persistence in Spring" Or "Spring persistence layer with Hibernate". Good luck. Jan
  21. Hi Jan, Your right to left comment is may be a joke, but this :
    For the openly democratic part of the world, I think your book is at least 5 years late. Maybe for Iran this may not be the case.
    is clearly a racist comment. And just FYI, Iran is not an arabic country even if persian(iranian) language is written from right to left. About the book, I would appreciate to have a summary of what makes this book 'new' regarding other books/documents. Because, reading the table of contents makes me feel that the subject is overconsumed.
  22. Hi Jan,
    Your right to left comment is may be a joke, but this :

For the openly democratic part of the world, I think your book is at least 5 years late. Maybe for Iran this may not be the case.

is clearly a racist comment.
    And just FYI, Iran is not an arabic country even if persian(iranian) language is written from right to left.

About the book, I would appreciate to have a summary of what makes this book 'new' regarding other books/documents. Because, reading the table of contents makes me feel that the subject is overconsumed.
    Hi Hamdi, If you consider that comment as racist, then allow me to make another one: All the Iranians I met during my University days in the Netherlands were always among the brightest in the class. There you go ... Jan
  23. Thank you Jan for the titles you suggested, and thank you for your kindly message about Iranians. I'll think about a better title for the next edition of the book.
  24. Posting guidelines[ Go to top ]

Site admin reminding of the post guidelines: Posts can NOT contain racial or sexual slurs
  25. Another book with the same title[ Go to top ]

Funny, there seems to be another book with the exact same title for different authors: http://www.amazon.com/Spring-Persistence-Hibernate-Beginning-Fisher/dp/1430226323 I wonder if they also think backwards :)
  26. Re: Another book with the same title[ Go to top ]

Actually my book has a sad story! I wrote the book two years ago and it was going to publish by Apress. You can find some links of that book still on the net! Apress suggested "Pro Spring Persistence with Hibernate" as the title and I agreed. When the book was ready and exactly three days before the time of publication the US government blocked the book for political considerations! They might think I was going to explode the international trade center by my book! After six months from that time when Apress disappointed to publish the book, Apress released the book to publish by another publisher maybe in Europe. After all, I upgrade the book with new features of Hibernate and Spring, and published through Packt in the UK,...
  27. You can buy a book if that's your thing. If you have a browser ;-) you might also try checking out a Spring/Hibernate tutorial application here: http://community.wavemaker.com/WM5App_HQLGuru/ The focus is on building HQL queries, but you can also download the source to dig under the covers and see how everything is done.
  28. I had the chance to read the Packt book. Even if you find informations about Hibernate and Spring, it is not common to find information about Hibernate/Spring integration.

Since transactions are part of ORM and are gracefully handled by Spring, I find this book pertinent.

Disclaimer: I was sent the book freely by Packt to blog about it (http://blog.frankel.ch/spring-persistence-with-hibernate). I'm not a Packt author nor a Packt employee.