XNIO: A Better NIO For Java

Discussions

News: XNIO: A Better NIO For Java

1. XNIO: A Better NIO For Java (11 messages)

Anyone who relies on using NIO must check out XNIO which is available at the XNIO downloads site. Think of XNIO as a simplified low-level I/O layer totally compatible with any environment where you are using NIO but without the hassle of dealing with selectors and the lack of NIO support for multicast sockets and non-socket I/O. XNIO provides a neat little API with multiple benefits including support for higher-level transport concepts such as SSL or virtual channels and the manner in which it combines blocking and non-blocking operations, even on the same channel. The XNIO callback-based interface greatly simplifies traditional state machine-based non-blocking applications, providing you with the perfect balance between throughput and latency for your application. If you go to the XNIO main page, you'll find excellent examples of using XNIO with TCP and of the deployer for network applications found in JBossAS 5.1.0 and later which use XNIO directly. You can also download the source code by going to the source code tab on the same site.

Threaded Messages (11)

2. How does XNIO differ from the awesome network library also from JBoss: Netty? From what I can see, XNIO aims to simplify just NIO usage. But, Netty does that and so much more.
  3. Dushyanth wrote:
    How does XNIO differ from the awesome network library also from JBoss: Netty?

From what I can see, XNIO aims to simplify just NIO usage. But, Netty does that and so much more.
    I think it's the difference between a Swiss Army knife and a sushi knife. Yes, both of them cut, but while the former can be used in a lot of different situations, the latter is made with higher quality steel and craftmanship, and it's designed for a very specific application. Netty abstracts and hides the APIs behind its own facade. XNIO aspires to simplify and correct the NIO API. I believe that Netty even has an XNIO back-end. If you need fine control over your channel operations, such as mixing blocking and non-blocking I/O, and want to deal with the channels themselves rather than with abstract queues and pipes, then XNIO is a better option. Cheers! E Wanna come to Las Vegas? Here are the topics that I cover at TheServerSide Java Symposium 2010
  4. How does XNIO differ from the awesome network library also from JBoss: Netty?
    I think Netty uses XNIO. but I may be wrong?
  5. *sigh* Look, XNIO is great - anyone doing nonblocking IO should be using it over Netty or, God forbid, raw NIO. But this post is pointless. It's just an arrow saying "XNIO exists." Bleah.
  6. Which is pretty useful for those of us that didn't know that XNIO exists. I'm not sure that more editorializing on top of that would've added much.
  7. Which is pretty useful for those of us that didn't know that XNIO exists. I'm not sure that more editorializing on top of that would've added much.
    Well... the only problem with that is that the number of projects you don't know exist is GINORMOUS. Are all those posts valid, too? One of the things I'd wanted to do when I was at TSS was create a reference for stuff like this; I'm glad to see Techtarget finally has the drive to update the site some, but even there, we're not talking news posts (which are for, like, news) but simply references.
  8. Joe wrote:
    I'm glad to see Techtarget finally has the drive to update the site some, but even there, we're not talking news posts (which are for, like, news) but simply references.
    Indeed. Take heart, though. I have some cool feature articles coming up soon. One of the main drives the other editors and I have right now is to post useful content instead of recycling press releases, which was what TSS ended up doing for most of 2009. Some times we'll hit jackpot, some times we'll miss, but we strive to bring up interesting and useful topics to the attention of our community. Cheers! E Python. In your Mule/Spring application server. Streamlining development. Check it out!
  9. Re: XNIO: A Better NIO For Java[ Go to top ]

"Useful" would be code samples. Comparative this or that. This is basically a really long winded tweet that tells me nothing new if I'd already known about XNIO. That's Joe's point, I think. Mine for sure.
  10. Re: XNIO: A Better NIO For Java[ Go to top ]

And when you were at TSS, did you also have those pesky ex-colleagues who were constantly critisizing your work?
    Which is pretty useful for those of us that didn't know that XNIO exists. I'm not sure that more editorializing on top of that would've added much.
    One of the things I'd wanted to do when I was at TSS was create a reference for stuff like this; I'm glad to see Techtarget finally has the drive to update the site some, but even there, we're not talking news posts (which are for, like, news) but simply references.
  11. Re: XNIO: A Better NIO For Java[ Go to top ]

And when you were at TSS, did you also have those pesky ex-colleagues who were constantly critisizing your work?
    Sure. In this case, I was actually asked for my opinion; I have normally been pretty quiet about what I do and don't like on TSS, because it's not my site to work on any more.
  12. Which is pretty useful for those of us that didn't know that XNIO exists. I'm not sure that more editorializing on top of that would've added much.
    Depends what type of 'editorializing' you were intending on doing. I guess in a way I agree with you, in the last year TTS's 'editorializing', when it is done is quite weak. So maybe there is no point in TTS attempting to do anything but copy paste.