Discussions

News: Thing Seam To Be Moving Along Nicely...

1. Thing Seam To Be Moving Along Nicely... (4 messages)

Timeline for JBoss Seam 3.0

Over at JBoss, they're promising up a release date for Seam 3.0 of mid-July, with the bulk of the development completed a month before that. And what will Seam 3.0 contain? Well, here's what's promised:

*Drools 5 integration
    *Additional JSF 2 support
    *Internationalization support
    *Seam Security
    *XML Bean Config
    *The Seam Application Framework
    *jBPM 3 support
    *Additional support for JAX-RS
    *Additional support for Servlet
    *Seam managed transactions and seam persistence contexts
    *Support for transactions in Servlet Containers
    *Javascript Remoting

What is potentially on the chopping block right now, and may or may not make the cut?

*JMS events bridge
    *Support for Errai/GWT
    *Scheduling support, including asynchronous events

Now, don't get too excited. Those still might make it into Seam 3.0, and even if they don't, the team is looking at getting them into Seam 3.1, which should be wrapped up in a pretty little bow by Christmas time. 

Threaded Messages (4)

2. Seam Stack VS Spring Stack[ Go to top ]

As of today, I'm using Spring Stack to build web apps.  Just wondering what would be the biggest difference from Seam Stack vs Spring Stack.  They seem to share many features.  I'm probably too deep into Spring to change to another MVC but I'm just curious.
  3. Seam Stack VS Spring Stack[ Go to top ]

What was lovely in Seam when I started to use it was that it integrates JSF with EJB well into an IoC framework. Faces backings are session beans are both Seam components with injection and other features, and all this inside a j2ee standard container. You can also refer these components in EL expressions, and there are more features that ease the pain a lot of JSF development. Well, I don't know if Spring integrates JSF backing beans and EJB session beans into its container.

4. Seam Stack VS Spring Stack[ Go to top ]

I don't know if Spring integrates JSF backing beans and EJB session beans into its container.

You can use a Spring bean as a JSF backing bean. What I like about Seam (2.x) is its extended EL (we can call a server method with some arguments). But that feature is now in JSF 2.0, so if JSF 2.0 is used with Spring, that feature is available there. The next good thing in Seam is the security module: easy to use. But Spring Security is nice too. I think I have to find some free time to try Seam 3 (I'm quite excited about it).

5. Seam Stack VS Spring Stack[ Go to top ]

I stand to be corrected, but I believe that Seam promotes a stateful application architecture, whereas Spring promotes a stateless architecture.