1..2..3..4....Taken By The Apple Store...

Discussions

News: 1..2..3..4....Taken By The Apple Store...

1. Do you remember the original $599 price of the iPhone? And do you remember how Apple then dropped the price to $399 a few months later, after they managed to shake as much change out of the pockets of all of those early adopters as they could? Well, it seems that price gouging wasn't the only way those early adopters got iTaken.

"3, 4, 5, 6 Hundred bucks I laid down quick
      Bought myself an iPhone.
      They dropped the price,
      and I got boned."
        -Mad TV Apple Commercial Parody (Audio/Video)

Those two year contracts they signed? Well, Apple had a five year agreement with AT&T, so if you didn't want to extent your contract with AT&T, your six hundred dollar iPhone would be nothing more than an iPaperWeight. It seems that those early adopters are a little annoyed by this, and are taking Apple to task. 

"An amended version of the lawsuit filed in June 2008 says that the defendants did not disclose they had a five-year agreement -- believed to expire in 2012 -- that locked the plaintiffs into using AT&T Mobility's voice and data services beyond their two-year contracts."

More interesting, from an application development perspective, is the allegation of monopolistic behavior with regards to iPhone applications. "The lawsuit also alleges that Apple "monopolized" the aftermarket for third-party iPhone applications." I wonder if Adobe, who had their flash player removed from the iPhone's list of approved environments, will have anything to say on this topic?

By the way, I just bought a new iPod. Guess which program it wouldn't work with? Yeah, iTunes. Apparently, I don't have the latest update, because I turned off the automatic updates, which seem to come out every other day. As much as I love Apple, I don't like my computer freezing every time I reboot, waiting for iTunes to check for and install another update, which there always is, just so I can have the latest .0.0.0.3 version of iTunes.

Apparently, the advanced technology required to transfer files has drastically changed since I last created a computer image, and I now need to re-install a new version of iTunes, fix all of my shortcuts which these updates always break, and create a new set of computer images. I remember when we always joked that the only people not making IBM compatible software was IBM. Now it seems that Apple has joined the ranks, by making hardware that isn't compatible with their own software. And to think, Apple had the audacity to criticize Adobe for their software development practices. 

"A..B..C..D..
         I bought myself a plain PC.
         I know PCs are pretty lame,
         But at least they always stay the same."
             -Mad TV Apple Commercial Parody (Audio/Video)

Lawsuit Against Apple Continues as a Class Action

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

Mad TV - Feist 1234 Apple iPod Commercial (Music Video - Check Your Computer Volume)

Threaded Messages (11)

2. Do you remember the original $599 price of the iPhone? And do you remember how Apple then dropped the price to $399 a few months later, after they managed to shake as much change out of the pockets of all of those early adopters as they could?

I don't get this complaint at all.  No one was forced to go out and buy an Iphone for $600.  If it's worth 600 bucks to you then buy it for 600 bucks.  If it's not worth $600, wait for the price to drop or buy something else.  People who have to have the latest and greatest thing will pay more for it.  Why should the people who wait have to pay the same amount as people with no patience?  If they hadn't dropped the price, the early adopters would be happier, right?  Why?  How does having other people pay more help you?

The price of technology always drops over time.  Should there be a rule about how fast a company can drop their prices?  Does anyone consider that Apple wasn't sure how strong the demand would be when the initially released the iPhone and probably expanded production (reducing cost per iPhone) after seeing how strong the demand was?

There are plenty of things to complain about regardning Apple but this is just silly.

3. Apple can charge what they want for their product and change the price how they want there is no problem with that. The only problem is that tie you to the network that belongs to somebody else that has nothing to do with their product (Third line forcing). Luckly for us in Australia thats just illegal and we can get the Iphone on any network.  Instead of having to wait years for a lawsuit.

4. Apple can charge what they want for their product and change the price how they want there is no problem with that. The only problem is that tie you to the network that belongs to somebody else that has nothing to do with their product (Third line forcing). Luckly for us in Australia thats just illegal and we can get the Iphone on any network.  Instead of having to wait years for a lawsuit.

Like I said: there are plenty of things to complain about regarding Apple.

5. There are plenty of things to complain about regardning Apple but this is just silly.

+100

This is completely insane indeed. In the early 90-ties my company bought a computer for rendering, where the latest CPU alone (an Intel 486dx66) was some $2000. A little while later, the CPU was down to 200 and really not that much time after that you could grab it from the bargain bin for next to nothing.

Should we sue Intel?

There are -so- many examples of this, in basically all industries (though mostly electronics) that it's completely silly to bash Apple on this.

6. I also believe that they can charge whatever they want. I don't really see that as a grounds for a suit. The network thing, that's a different story. That's just wrong on Apple's part.

What I would like to sue them over is the lack of a full implementation of AVRCP; there is no track control. That means I either have to keep using their (or someone else's) cheap ear buds with inline remote and be confined by wires, or I have to continue to unlock my phone to change the track when I use my Bluetooth stereo headset. I guess I could just leave my phone unlocked, but why should I be less secure just for track control? Plus even if I did, it would still be easier to control via the headset. I often wonder if they haven't implemented it so that they can continue to sell you the cheap ear buds. I can't imagine that it would be that hard. Maybe there is more to the protocal than I realize. Anyway, I don't know if that is grounds for a suit or not, but I wish that it were.

7. Deleteing Comments[ Go to top ]

I love the new TTS policy of deleting comments that you don't like.

8. Deleting my response[ Go to top ]

Why did you delete my comment?  All I said is that I don't understand why this is news to an enterprise Java community.  And I compare it to me buying a 40" full HD TV  3 years ago for 2500 euro which now costs less than 1000 euro.  Should I sue the manufacturer? 

9. And this is relevant...how?[ Go to top ]

What does this have to do with "Your Enterprise Java Community"? Anything? Whatsoever?

I get enough Apple ranting on all of the other random technology websites I go to, where it's at least almost on topic.

Most of the content here is basically press releases, and when we get "original" content we get ... this??

Can we discuss something less inflammatory like American Idol next? or how the Gulf Oil Spill is affecting the immigration debates impact on mid term elections? 

10. Irony[ Go to top ]

You didn't know? This is an indirect comment of Apple's behaviour.

http://www.gaj-it.com/20966/apple-in-hot-water-after-deleting-complaints-from-their-forum/

11. finally[ Go to top ]

Deleting similar comments is something I approve.If you had ideas how to improve TSS or how to remove certain flaws, you can send email to editor or make public constructive post. However, when you post bull like 'OMG this is my last time on TSS QQ', noone freaking cares.

Be constructive, or GTFO, noone cares if you don't wanna come to TSS any more.

12. finally[ Go to top ]

noone freaking cares.

I actually find the fact that comments are being deleted (for whatever reason) more interesting then the posted story.